This discussion is closed.
JAgg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Is anyone else doing AS Applied ICT with Edexcel and finding out that its a hell of alot of coursework?

I've done like 30 hours+ worth of work an 35+ pages for 11marks out of 60.. -_-

Why the hell is this subject considered soft?
electriic_ink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Because the coursework is easy - there's just lots of it.

Btw: I'm just guessing; I've never done the subject.
JAgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by electriic_ink)
Because the coursework is easy - there's just lots of it.

Btw: I'm just guessing; I've never done the subject.
Well.. I guess the coursework isn't hard.. Just alot of research invloved.
Tomdotcom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did it last year, something stupid like 48,000 words all together :P

Yea it's a lot of work :/
Tomdotcom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JAgg)
Well.. I guess the coursework isn't hard.. Just alot of research invloved.
Wikipedia is your friend in A level ICT :rolleyes:
sk8trjames
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i did that subject for the last 2 years i was suposed to get a full alevel but only got an AS because my teacher taught me the wrong stuff,
anyways it is a HELL of alot of work just keep working for it, im my second year of doing it i got an A,B,D for my AS coursework i found unit 1 the hardest the others are easier but it will depend on which parts your teacher decides to choose, erm i think unit 1- is the information age (means loads of work for little marks), unit 2 - exam (relatively easy if you talk to your teachers) and unit 3 - database stuff ( again isnt to difficult just remember to do alot of work)

hope that helps i think i still have my old coursework if you want to have a look at it
JAgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by sk8trjames)
i did that subject for the last 2 years i was suposed to get a full alevel but only got an AS because my teacher taught me the wrong stuff,
anyways it is a HELL of alot of work just keep working for it, im my second year of doing it i got an A,B,D for my AS coursework i found unit 1 the hardest the others are easier but it will depend on which parts your teacher decides to choose, erm i think unit 1- is the information age (means loads of work for little marks), unit 2 - exam (relatively easy if you talk to your teachers) and unit 3 - database stuff ( again isnt to difficult just remember to do alot of work)

hope that helps i think i still have my old coursework if you want to have a look at it
Ahh.. Yep I'm doing information age for unit 1 >_> sucks..
JAgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tomdotcom)
Wikipedia is your friend in A level ICT :rolleyes:
Haha yeah most of my references are from Wikipedia xD But it's not really reliable anyone can edit the infomation.
PunkyFish-x
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Never did it with Edexcel but I have just done the As Level in ICT and found it was a lot of coursework and one single exam.
Tomdotcom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JAgg)
Haha yeah most of my references are from Wikipedia xD But it's not really reliable anyone can edit the infomation.
Yeah it helped a lot but like you said be careful with what's on there. If you're not sure about it defo look it up somewhere else.

Also, in my previous posts i didn't want to scare you because it's not hard but just quite time consuming. With the designing of the ebook be prepared to ask your teacher for extra help if you've never done it before and they will do the tricky parts for you (at least mine did).

Gl with it
Arnie Pie In The Sky
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah I did Edexcel ICT and it was hell. A horrible teacher meant everything had to be self taught with online tutorials (this was needed for A2 though) :rolleyes:

You have seemed to worked hard but in the wrong direction since you got 11 out of 60. The only way to restrict this from happening is constantly look at the mark scheme and make sure you have done everything they have said. Seems simple but when you are working you start to assume things. Keep referring to the mark scheme!!

Good luck :cool:
sk8trjames
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JAgg)
Ahh.. Yep I'm doing information age for unit 1 >_> sucks..
yeah it is the hardest topic, just make sure you go through everything in huge detail and also make sure you add in video, sound, images and graphs, also make sure you do a few things of your own, such as take your own videos or pictures
otherwise you can only get a D grade in this topic
cainebj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i am doing units 8 and 10 for that now
units 1 and 2 were terrible. unit 3 is easy though if you prepare for it. i just scraped C's in units 1 & 2, and i got a strong A on the unit 3 exam, which worked out as an overall C. i'm re-doing units 1 and 2 though, try to get a few more marks to get my grade up hopefully.
ace101
Report 12 years ago
dont worry once you get unit 1 out of the way the rest of the units are so much easier.
i doing units 8 and 10 now, and from what i can say is that unit 1 was still the hardest.
so unit 1 will require the most work.

i think it only a soft subject because of the computing course that is available, which my school dont do!
JAgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by ace101)
dont worry once you get unit 1 out of the way the rest of the units are so much easier.
i doing units 8 and 10 now, and from what i can say is that unit 1 was still the hardest.
so unit 1 will require the most work.

i think it only a soft subject because of the computing course that is available, which my school dont do!
Yeah I thought so, my school doesn't offer computing either >_>
JAgg
Rep:
?
sayed_7786
Report 12 years ago
did anyone get A for UNIT 1 AND 2...if you have can i please have it, i got C and B just need to improve it...thanks
ace101
Report 12 years ago
yeah i got 82 and 83 in unit 1 and 2...
to get that all you have to do it make sure that you follow the specification, as that is what will be used to mark your coursework.
-follow the mark guide and try do EVERYTHING to get into mark band 3.
JAgg
Rep:
?
Just wanted to add that dreamweaver is a *****.. -_-
T.P.D-L
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i got two A's for unit 1 and unit 2 and one mark of a B in unit 3, but i'm not sure how to upload it, its put up on my school intranet as an example though, so i'll try and find out how to get onto it from home and then see from there
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads