Effyd123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
sHi
I am a mature student, 22 years old and have never taken an English GCSE but I have a maths and physics GCSE at BA.
As far as I can see, all access courses require a GCSE in English. My problem is that all the courses start in September so if I want to get into any med course, that means a good few years until I can even think of applying. Is there any way around this?
And does it help me that I have two years experience abroad as a volunteer EMT?
masterm17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
mk
masterm17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, as far as i know, you can enter a system into which you can take a english gcse
Effyd123
Rep:
?
(Original post by masterm17)
Hi, as far as i know, you can enter a system into which you can take a eng
Ive had a look around. Where can I find such a system?
University of Liverpool
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there,

I am afraid that there are no ways to get on to the Medicine degree at University of Liverpool without the required GCSE's. Even if you took an Access course we will still need a minimum of 5 GCSE's, you can find further details of this here - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/li...Entry,2010.pdf
I am sorry for any disappointment but if you have any more questions we are happy to help.
Take care
Jenna
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Effyd123)
sHi
I am a mature student, 22 years old and have never taken an English GCSE but I have a maths and physics GCSE at BA.
As far as I can see, all access courses require a GCSE in English. My problem is that all the courses start in September so if I want to get into any med course, that means a good few years until I can even think of applying. Is there any way around this?
And does it help me that I have two years experience abroad as a volunteer EMT?
The easiest (relatively!) route will still be to take GCSEs in the required subjects, then A-Levels. It will open the most doors.

Access courses are not accepted by many med schools, and of course that you mean that it's harder and more competitive.

Doing a degree specifically for graduate entry medicine is also not recommended because it'll cost more, take longer and is much more competitive than standard undergrad medicine.

So - I would advise finding a college, taking your GCSEs and A-Levels again. It may take a year, 2 or even 3 before you are eligible for applying to med school but it'd still be the easiest (i.e. least competitive) option out of all the ones available to you.
Effyd123
Rep:
?
Thanks guys for your help. I've started learning for my GCSEs. I'm taking them in the summer to get results in august. What do you think my chances are for getting into the year 0 foundation course starting Sep 21?
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...ar-0/overview/
They say they don't need A levels. Would it be better to try that way or to do A levels and then try the regular entry?
Amberooney
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Effyd123)
Thanks guys for your help. I've started learning for my GCSEs. I'm taking them in the summer to get results in august. What do you think my chances are for getting into the year 0 foundation course starting Sep 21?
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...ar-0/overview/
They say they don't need A levels. Would it be better to try that way or to do A levels and then try the regular entry?
You have nothing to lose by applying for the foundation year course at Liverpool although they might not offer you a place for 2021 as you don’t have the GCSE grades yet and I don’t think they do conditional offers. Plus for the standard entry you will probably need lots of very high GCSEs plus AAA at A Level. And the foundation year is one year but A levels will take 2 years. If you start A levels you won’t be able to apply for the foundation year so you will need to decide what you want to do. I did the foundation for dentistry and it set me up very well for the dental school. I would recommend this route as being very good for mature students. Good luck with your GCSEs and double check the requirements for every course that you are considering so you definitely have what you need when it comes to applying. If I was you I would email admissions now to find out if they will consider your application this year or whether you will need to wait for 2022 entry
Effyd123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amberooney)
You have nothing to lose by applying for the foundation year course at Liverpool although they might not offer you a place for 2021 as you don’t have the GCSE grades yet and I don’t think they do conditional offers. Plus for the standard entry you will probably need lots of very high GCSEs plus AAA at A Level. And the foundation year is one year but A levels will take 2 years. If you start A levels you won’t be able to apply for the foundation year so you will need to decide what you want to do. I did the foundation for dentistry and it set me up very well for the dental school. I would recommend this route as being very good for mature students. Good luck with your GCSEs and double check the requirements for every course that you are considering so you definitely have what you need when it comes to applying. If I was you I would email admissions now to find out if they will consider your application this year or whether you will need to wait for 2022 entry
Thanks.
I emailed admissions at liverpool already, but they said as you did, that there are no conditional offers allowed and I need minimum of 5 GCSEs.
In the meantime, I'm hopefully doing my GCSEs this year and then doing an access to medicine at Manchester College. This will allow me to apply to Manchester and Liverpool unis for the regular A100/A104 and puts me at no disadvantage to someone who did A Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads