MJA2802
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Does making notes in the sense of reading textbooks and school work and combining them into notes instead of copying count as revision

CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes because you’re revisiting content. But, this is very inefficient. I’d suggest turning notes into flashcards so you can review it frequently.
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MJA2802)
Does making notes in the sense of reading textbooks and school work and combining them into notes instead of copying count as revision
In the most general sense, yes it counts as revision. You are reviewing the material and writing it in your own words, which is hugely important for verifying that you understand the material.

However I feel like there's some underlying question here. Perhaps you're trying to justify to yourself that you've done revision? Or that you're trying to do X amount of hours of revision? If that's the case, I'd recommend not looking at revision in that way. What's important is not the amount of hours or the method, but that what you are doing is helping. Some people will tell you not to write notes. I personally got top grades throughout my GCSEs, A Levels and degree with little more than taking notes and past paper revision. None of that matters though, what matters is if the method works personally for you.

So in that sense, it counts as revision if you're getting value out of it. While it's a time consuming process, there is a lot of benefit to having notes written in your own words, and to generally have a "one stop shop" for everything you need to know. If you're not finding it valuable though, you'll need to supplement it with other types of revision that work for you. That could be flashcards, mind maps, audio that you can listen to, and so on. What matters is getting results, and that's what really makes something revision.
MJA2802
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
@acsel my reasoning is I’ve started revising for my mocks in January and allowed 9 weeks for it, but this includes a week of note taking so unsure whether it’s 9 weeks of revision or just 8 and one week notes, as my revision I’m was 9 weeks and don’t want to cheat myself
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MJA2802)
@acsel my reasoning is I’ve started revising for my mocks in January and allowed 9 weeks for it, but this includes a week of note taking so unsure whether it’s 9 weeks of revision or just 8 and one week notes, as my revision I’m was 9 weeks and don’t want to cheat myself
It does count as revision, but even if it didn't you won't be "cheating" yourself. Revision isn't about arbitrarily picking a number of weeks or hours which you'll revise. If you're getting results, you're fine. If you're not getting results, you'll need to change something. But 8 vs 9 weeks wouldn't be a defining factor in success.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads