thunga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
CAN I EVER GET AN OFFER TO OXFORD OR IMPERIAL?
After the 2020 MAT exam I genuinely think I’ve gotten around the 30s.
In the past papers I was getting 50-60% but this paper I really messed up on.
My predicted grades are A*A*A*A.
I have applied to both Oxford and Imperial.
Is there ANY way I can get an interview for Oxford or an offer for Imperial?
fkulol
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In the Imperial Maths page, it says:
"some MAT candidates who have a borderline mark may be considered for a STEP offer and that offer may also be increased."
So maybe imperial will offer you a place if you take STEP and get good grades in STEP.

For Oxford, i don't believe that you will be interviewed if you get 30 marks because by the previous datas, you need to get at least 40 marks in order to be shortlisted. However, as Oxford also looks at your GCSEs, if you get really good results in your GCSE (with many A*s) they may still consider your application.
Last edited by fkulol; 2 months ago
casabonita
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
not all is lost yet! you might have done better than you think, try to distract yourself from it until interviews/offers come out
scores of 30 usually don't get interviewed at oxford, but you won't know your real score for a while now!
imperial could give you step instead, and do accept lower MAT scores sometimes
thunga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by fkulol)
In the Imperial Maths page, it says:
"some MAT candidates who have a borderline mark may be considered for a STEP offer and that offer may also be increased."
So maybe imperial will offer you a place if you take STEP and get good grades in STEP.

For Oxford, i don't believe that you will be interviewed if you get 30 marks because by the previous datas, you need to get at least 40 marks in order to be shortlisted. However, as Oxford also looks at your GCSEs, if you get really good results in your GCSE (with many A*s) they may still consider your application.
I got 9 9s, 2 8s and 1 A* in GCSE. Do you think this will be enough?
Do you also know when the MAT scores come out?
I’m doing the TMUA tomorrow, will I be able to somehow send my TMUA score to Oxford if it’s good as well?
I’m a bit confused on the STEP thing though; I do intend to take it next year but won’t Imperial have already sent out all the offers by then?
casabonita
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thunga)
I got 9 9s, 2 8s and 1 A* in GCSE. Do you think this will be enough?
Do you also know when the MAT scores come out?
I’m doing the TMUA tomorrow, will I be able to somehow send my TMUA score to Oxford if it’s good as well?
I’m a bit confused on the STEP thing though; I do intend to take it next year but won’t Imperial have already sent out all the offers by then?
Oxford won't take the TMUA unfortunately, only the MAT
Imperial might give you an offer that requires you to get a certain step grade
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (245)
57.24%
I don't have everything I need (183)
42.76%

Watched Threads