What is the most affordable digital piano for advanced player?

Watch
Hathop
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Not sure if this is in the right category (sorry if not!) but I am currently a music student and want to know if any other music students/musicians have recommendations for the best/most affordable digital pianos while at uni? I can't have an acoustic piano due to living in a flat with neighbours and am hoping to start practicing towards my Grade 8 qualification so need something that is similar in feel/touch to an acoustic. Hoping for something under the 500 pound mark (hopefully this is possible?) so any recommendations would be very helpful!
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have a Yamaha Piaggero NP-32 - you can definitely get them for under £300, they're super lightweight and portable, have 76 keys so almost full length (well, a lot closer than most digital pianos anyway!), can run on battery, and have a headphone plug so great for shared flats. You can buy a sustain pedal to plug in (maybe another £15), and the keys are weighted with graded soft touch, so while it obviously doesn't feel exactly the same as an acoustic, it's a lot closer in feel than if you just bought an electronic keyboard.

Quick disclaimer - I am a keyboard player originally rather than piano, so the keys probably feel more weighted to me than they would to you, and as such it might not be the right choice for you. Ideally I'd say go to a music shop and try it out for yourself first (a lot of them stock the NP-12/32), but with another lockdown starting tomorrow that probably wouldn't be feasible!
Hathop
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Interea)
I have a Yamaha Piaggero NP-32 - you can definitely get them for under £300, they're super lightweight and portable, have 76 keys so almost full length (well, a lot closer than most digital pianos anyway!), can run on battery, and have a headphone plug so great for shared flats. You can buy a sustain pedal to plug in (maybe another £15), and the keys are weighted with graded soft touch, so while it obviously doesn't feel exactly the same as an acoustic, it's a lot closer in feel than if you just bought an electronic keyboard.

Quick disclaimer - I am a keyboard player originally rather than piano, so the keys probably feel more weighted to me than they would to you, and as such it might not be the right choice for you. Ideally I'd say go to a music shop and try it out for yourself first (a lot of them stock the NP-12/32), but with another lockdown starting tomorrow that probably wouldn't be feasible!
Thank you so much for your help, that's great! That sounds like a really good option, especially with the graded touch, and I think going into a shop an trying them out is definitely a good call (after lockdown of course).
welcometotherock
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yamaha & Roland do some really good ones. Are you after an actual digital piano or a portable stage type piano?

Yamaha P45 is a good budget option. 88 full size keys with graded hammer weighted keys.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise