jesspautz_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I really want to write an EPQ, but I get distracted very easily so I want to pick a topic that I'm interested in. At university, I'm thinking about studying psychology and criminology so I was thinking about writing about the JonBenet Ramsey case. Would this be a good idea where I can talk about the most likely scenario or would it limit the essay as I can't exactly conclude on who killed her as it is unsolved? And if it is bad, what other topics could I write about?
etohin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
go for it! i loved doing my epq. i dont really know much about criminology and psychology, but that would be a really interesting topic to do and would look really impressive in your personal statement. id recommend talking to your teacher/mentor about the conclusion of your essay, but for my school it didnt really matter if your final project failed, just as long as you could provide in depth thought and interest in the topic.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by jesspautz_)
I really want to write an EPQ, but I get distracted very easily so I want to pick a topic that I'm interested in. At university, I'm thinking about studying psychology and criminology so I was thinking about writing about the JonBenet Ramsey case. Would this be a good idea where I can talk about the most likely scenario or would it limit the essay as I can't exactly conclude on who killed her as it is unsolved? And if it is bad, what other topics could I write about?
That topic’s really interesting and unique! I think you’d just need to be careful about how you phrase the question to ensure you have enough to talk about. Ideally you need to bring in research, evaluation, critical thinking etc rather than just looking at what you think happened to JonBenet and trying to solve it (which you won’t be able to do as the case is unsolved, like you said).

For example, doing a question like ‘was the police investigation into the death of JonBenet poorly managed’ or something similar (and worded better, that’s just off the top of my head!) would allow you to actually look into the investigation, evaluate methods used, critique areas that weren’t done well etc, while still being linked to the case as a whole.

If you’re interested in true crime, there’s always interesting work in topics like the psychology of serial killers, or something more sociological like how do childhood factors influence if a person will become a criminal. Just make sure your question gives you room to do independent research and come to a conclusion based off that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (11)
11.22%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (62)
63.27%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
9.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (2)
2.04%

Watched Threads