helianthus_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
How much/little would unis want to hear (in my personal statement) that I am into psychoanalysis?

I realise that this is not the trend for psychology in the UK right now but ideas from psychoanalysis do have an extremely important role in the history of development of therapeutic practise, psychological concepts etc. I am really into Jung, Freud etc. but unsure exactly how much I should emphasise this or how to frame it in relation to Psych BSc. application
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Most unis spend very little talking about psychoanalysis (a lecture or maybe even less) - you should mention things that will be covered in more detail
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Psychoanalysis isn’t (proper) psychology.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Psychoanalysis is seen as very separate from academic psychology, and realistically it's a niche that people would get invovled with several steps after graduation and working in clinical practice. I think the risk is that if you put this in your statement that admissions officers will think you a) don't really understand the nature of the undergraduate course, b) drop out when you realise the BSc is far more about statistics, research methods and neurobiology.

If you are interested in psychoanalysis you would be better off attending lectures given by the IPA (https://www.ipa.world/) and similar organisations. I have been to a few and found them interesting in the context of therapeutic working (even though I use Schema focussed CBT myself as a clinical psychlogist). However, they were very far from anything I was doing as an undergraduate.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Psychoanalysis isn’t (proper) psychology.
Not sure about this.

Some would say things like attachment theory, object relations and the existance of the unconscious are fairly well established as psychological constructs. It's probably true to say it's not on the more empirical side of psychology, but falls in the more phenomeonlogical and qualitiative side of the subject.

Ideally, you need a good grasp of both sides of the spectrum. Much in the same way in a subject like medicine you need to understand pharmacology very well, but also you need to be able to have a good bedside manner (which is not a particularly scientific concept but very apparent when it is missing).
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lord Asriel)
Not sure about this.

Some would say things like attachment theory, object relations and the existance of the unconscious are fairly well established as psychological constructs. It's probably true to say it's not on the more empirical side of psychology, but falls in the more phenomeonlogical and qualitiative side of the subject.

Ideally, you need a good grasp of both sides of the spectrum. Much in the same way in a subject like medicine you need to understand pharmacology very well, but also you need to be able to have a good bedside manner (which is not a particularly scientific concept but very apparent when it is missing).
I’m a quant/neuroscience background so to me it isn’t proper psychology but I will accept it has some influences outside of my area
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed