The Student Room Group

MET Detective Constable Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Just got my start date for January 4th is there a WhatsApp group?
Original post by NyxiePyx
Just got my start date for January 4th is there a WhatsApp group?

I’ve got this start date as well, let me know if you find a group
Anyone who’s already started, for the first bit at university is it just like being back at uni? Wearing whatever we like etc
Reply 823
Original post by Sunpomegranate
Anyone who’s already started, for the first bit at university is it just like being back at uni? Wearing whatever we like etc

Nope, gotta be smart casual/businesswear. Can sometimes get away with jeans and smart top and trainers, but first week definitely go in businesswear and let your Sergeant guide you on what to wear
Original post by CW9710
Nope, gotta be smart casual/businesswear. Can sometimes get away with jeans and smart top and trainers, but first week definitely go in businesswear and let your Sergeant guide you on what to wear

Thanks for your help! I’ve not had the welcome pack yet so a bit blind but is it at the actual uni and in lecture halls etc, just trying to know what to expect. Also what are the hours like for the first few months when you’re doing the uni stuff
Reply 825
Thanks for your help! I’ve not had the welcome pack yet so a bit blind but is it at the actual uni and in lecture halls etc, just trying to know what to expect. Also what are the hours like for the first few months when you’re doing the uni stuff

Yep, they're not too quick on providing information quickly haha. I started in August so we were remote for first 5 weeks and then face to face at the uni full time. Not sure what they're doing with new intakes. Uni is 9-5

I'm two weeks in. We were told to be smart-casual at Uni (no need to go as far as business/formal as we would stand out as police). You will be 9am-5pm at your allocated university. No-one has (yet) worn jeans, but trainers have been worn occasionally (if the overall look is smart it's probably okay, although most have been in smart shoes/boots). It's pretty relaxed and lots of group exercises and presentations.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by alexina.o
Hi i just wanted to know if anyone was in the same boat as me

Applied: Nov 2020

Latest: completed medical July 2021

I'm waiting to hear anything about Vetting or start date

i finally got the call yesterday! starting on the 14th March, is there any GCs
I'm starting April 19th! Anyone else?
For those of you who already started, how long do you guys know your shift schedule/rota in advance? And do you get paid weekly or monthly? Thanks x
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Submarine94
For those of you who already started, how long do you guys know your shift schedule/rota in advance? And do you get paid weekly or monthly? Thanks x

For uni it’s 9-5 Monday - Friday and then one day a week is for OST/ELS which is either an early 8-3 or a late 2-10 Get paid monthly on the 20th of every month
(edited 2 years ago)

After training then you *should* know your rota at least 28 days in advance. After you are in your permanent department you will have your rota 3 months in advance (but you usually know the full year unless you move departments). There are times under exigency of duty when they can change your rota at a moments notice but this is not common.

You will be paid monthly.

Pay is every month on the 20th. Yes you will always have your roster well in advance - I am about to start my first 8mth rotation and have my whole 8mth roster already.
For uni it’s 9-5 Monday - Friday and then one day a week is for OST/ELS which is either an early 8-3 or a late 2-10 Get paid monthly on the 20th of every month

What is OST/ELS?
What is OST/ELS?

Officer safety training and emergency life saving
Officer safety training and emergency life saving

Oh wow that sounds cool. Do you learn C&R there? (Control and restraint)
Oh wow that sounds cool. Do you learn C&R there? (Control and restraint)

Yep! Along with a bunchhh of other stuff

Omg I'm doing that in my current job 😂 so do you learn stuff like "you hold, you move" and "lock on" etc 😂

How is the overall course going? Are you enjoying it?
for those that have started is there any books or videos you would recommend we should watch or buy before our start date please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending