marshmello
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I have to write a 2000 word essay on this question on contract law
This is the case they have given us

On 4 April, Alison offers Betty an antique clock for £2000. Betty spends a week mulling over the offer. On 13 April, she sends Alison a letter stating she would be willing to buy the clock for £1500. The next day, while looking through an antiques catalogue she sees that a similar clock has recently been auctioned off at £5000. Betty realises that if Alison refuses, she may lose the clock altogether. She immediately sends another letter on 14 April saying that she will be pleased to pay £2000. Betty's first letter dated 13 April arrives on 16 April; her second letter stating that she would be happy to pay £2000 arrives on 18 April. Advise Betty.

I know I should discuss the postal acceptance rule but I'm not sure what else to write about? Can anyone give me any tips on writing contract law essays pls >.<
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello

Let's try to break it down. What do you have to do? And yes do discuss the postal acceptance rule. Do you have any useful notes or not you can then use as the basis of this essay? If so I would strongly recommend using them to help you to type up or write out your essay by hand. Contract law is a difficult and rather complicated area of law to learn about yet this is what to write about in response to the case study, this is a list of tips to follow in order to write out your law essay in other words.
Talk about the legal consequences of Alice's actions. Refer to the original case study and stay very focused. Explain why and who was wrong. Outline possible steps to take to resolve the issues at hand and describe any steps in detail. Mention all relevant bits of information. For example the fact that Betty spent seven days pondering what to do is not insignificant at all, do not omit that. Likewise the fact that she also needs advice on how to proceed further should form the basis of your contract law essay. If you research contract law online in more depth, you can find a lot more useful information online including published articles. Good luck. Also do remember to include a bit about communication and decision making.
marshmello
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Hello

Let's try to break it down. What do you have to do? And yes do discuss the postal acceptance rule. Do you have any useful notes or not you can then use as the basis of this essay? If so I would strongly recommend using them to help you to type up or write out your essay by hand. Contract law is a difficult and rather complicated area of law to learn about yet this is what to write about in response to the case study, this is a list of tips to follow in order to write out your law essay in other words.
Talk about the legal consequences of Alice's actions. Refer to the original case study and stay very focused. Explain why and who was wrong. Outline possible steps to take to resolve the issues at hand and describe any steps in detail. Mention all relevant bits of information. For example the fact that Betty spent seven days pondering what to do is not insignificant at all, do not omit that. Likewise the fact that she also needs advice on how to proceed further should form the basis of your contract law essay. If you research contract law online in more depth, you can find a lot more useful information online including published articles. Good luck. Also do remember to include a bit about communication and decision making.
Hi !
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation
So in the beginning, does Alison make an offer to Betty first, to which Betty declines ( because she makes a counter offer ) and then Betty becomes the offeror in the case when she sends the letter? Is that important information that I should include?
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yeah
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Fam, write your own problem question responses. :lol:
marshmello
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Fam, write your own problem question responses. :lol:
Which I'm doing?
Johnno LDN
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by marshmello)

On 4 April, Alison offers Betty an antique clock for £2000. Betty spends a week mulling over the offer. On 13 April, she sends Alison a letter stating she would be willing to buy the clock for £1500. The next day, while looking through an antiques catalogue she sees that a similar clock has recently been auctioned off at £5000. Betty realises that if Alison refuses, she may lose the clock altogether. She immediately sends another letter on 14 April saying that she will be pleased to pay £2000. Betty's first letter dated 13 April arrives on 16 April; her second letter stating that she would be happy to pay £2000 arrives on 18 April. Advise Betty.

I know I should discuss the postal acceptance rule but I'm not sure what else to write about? Can anyone give me any tips on writing contract law essays pls
Would the original £2k offer from Alison be void, once Betty has gone back with a counter offer of £1500? It's been a long time since I read about this subject
savigethestalion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I'm having a contract law assessment on the 26th of November which is going to change my predicted grade, which is what i need to apply to university. The problem is I need an A and I find law super difficult. My teacher informed me there are only two fresh papers she can use for this, one of which the class has done already. I need help in finding this paper I'm going to do, so I can get into the university I need.

If anyone has done exam questions this year (2020) on AQA Contract Law (paper 3) please let me know and send the questions and if possible, unofficial mark scheme over.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by savigethestalion)
Hi, I'm having a contract law assessment on the 26th of November which is going to change my predicted grade, which is what i need to apply to university. The problem is I need an A and I find law super difficult. My teacher informed me there are only two fresh papers she can use for this, one of which the class has done already. I need help in finding this paper I'm going to do, so I can get into the university I need.

If anyone has done exam questions this year (2020) on AQA Contract Law (paper 3) please let me know and send the questions and if possible, unofficial mark scheme over.
flashcards
savigethestalion
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
flashcards
have you done the 2019 paper 3 for law AQA?
savigethestalion
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by marshmello)

I know I should discuss the postal acceptance rule but I'm not sure what else to write about? Can anyone give me any tips on writing contract law essays pls >.<
what paper is this from?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (245)
57.24%
I don't have everything I need (183)
42.76%

Watched Threads