looking into job for finance

Watch this thread
seh456
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am considering a job In finance but I am scared that In the future I will get very bored of just looking at numbers the whole time. Can someone tell me what It's like being In finance and what sorts of jobs I could do that Involve some enjoyment?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by seh456)
Hi, I am considering a job In finance but I am scared that In the future I will get very bored of just looking at numbers the whole time. Can someone tell me what It's like being In finance and what sorts of jobs I could do that Involve some enjoyment?
This is kind of open ended.

Finance is not solely about looking at numbers. Most of the time, you're not even looking at numbers unless you're working in a backend role such as in accounting or financial analysis. There are some front end roles that involve financial models, but they're pretty straightforward.

The financial industry is diverse, and can cover from anything like stockbrokering to quants. A lot of the finance roles tend to involve selling to people, or demand high communication skills (very little to do with numbers). When people hear finance industry, the first thing they think about is trading - be it day trading, proprietory trading, market makers, etc. The financial industry is not just about buying and selling financial instruments.

I recommend looking at the national careers service website for roles in the business and financial industries for more information. The industry is too broad to talk about in one post - you can write a book on it, like many people have done.
seh456
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
This is kind of open ended.

Finance is not solely about looking at numbers. Most of the time, you're not even looking at numbers unless you're working in a backend role such as in accounting or financial analysis. There are some front end roles that involve financial models, but they're pretty straightforward.

The financial industry is diverse, and can cover from anything like stockbrokering to quants. A lot of the finance roles tend to involve selling to people, or demand high communication skills (very little to do with numbers). When people hear finance industry, the first thing they think about is trading - be it day trading, proprietory trading, market makers, etc. The financial industry is not just about buying and selling financial instruments.

I recommend looking at the national careers service website for roles in the business and financial industries for more information. The industry is too broad to talk about in one post - you can write a book on it, like many people have done.
thank you this helps a lot
AW_1983
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by seh456)
If you know this little about finance then I'm guessing it's the money that's attracting you. Take this from someone in the back office. To be honest, unless you get into the front office, the money is rubbish. I'm actively looking at roles outside finance with the same skillset as mine and I won't need to take a pay cut.

My advice would be to do a job you genuinely enjoy because you're going to be doing it for about 50 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (19)
31.67%
Take a gap year (14)
23.33%
Resit my exams (9)
15%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (8)
13.33%
I don't know yet (7)
11.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5%

Watched Threads