The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language paper 2 question 2

Hi, could somebody who is familiar with the English language marks scheme mark this question for me please, thank you.

2017 June paper 2

One difference between how the boys play in source A and source B is the boy in source A enjoys “running up to people.” This suggests he likes running. On top of that, it infers the boy is energetic and maybe also excited by visitors. Unlike in source A, the boy in source B plays,”drums and tin trumpets”. This suggests the boy enjoys playing music. This infers his parents also play a musical instrument and the boy is inspires by the parents and therefore wants to follow i their footsteps.

Another difference between how the boys play in source A and source B is the boy in source A is “nestled in the crook of my arms.” This suggests the boy does not pay much interest in his environment. This infers the boy does not care and does not like learning new information. On the other hand, boy in source B, “liked to ask questions.” This suggests he is interested and observant of what surrounds him. This infers the boy loves learning.

Another difference between how the boys play in source A and B is the boy in source A was often,”sucking on my little finger.” This suggests the boy in source A is immature in comparison to the other boy. This infers the boy in source A is younger than the boy in source B. This is because the boy in source B,” had a habit of whistling.” This suggests the boy is older than 3 because it is very unlikely that a baby could whistle. This infers the boy is older than boy in source A.
Original post by Newyorkiscool
Hi, could somebody who is familiar with the English language marks scheme mark this question for me please, thank you.

2017 June paper 2

One difference between how the boys play in source A and source B is the boy in source A enjoys “running up to people.” This suggests he likes running. On top of that, it infers the boy is energetic and maybe also excited by visitors. Unlike in source A, the boy in source B plays,”drums and tin trumpets”. This suggests the boy enjoys playing music. This infers his parents also play a musical instrument and the boy is inspires by the parents and therefore wants to follow i their footsteps.

Another difference between how the boys play in source A and source B is the boy in source A is “nestled in the crook of my arms.” This suggests the boy does not pay much interest in his environment. This infers the boy does not care and does not like learning new information. On the other hand, boy in source B, “liked to ask questions.” This suggests he is interested and observant of what surrounds him. This infers the boy loves learning.

Another difference between how the boys play in source A and B is the boy in source A was often,”sucking on my little finger.” This suggests the boy in source A is immature in comparison to the other boy. This infers the boy in source A is younger than the boy in source B. This is because the boy in source B,” had a habit of whistling.” This suggests the boy is older than 3 because it is very unlikely that a baby could whistle. This infers the boy is older than boy in source A.

can I just ask what grade you're aiming for?

but speaking of the actual writing, it is good, it just needs a few tweaks here and there.

for example when you said 'This suggests he likes running', it's not really necessary, because we already knew that fact from the quotation. so, you could use that phrase and instead say: this suggests/ shines a light on/implies his energetic and excitable nature.

Then, you could use 'furthermore' instead of 'on top of that' and talk further about how the boy is lively around visitors.

At the end of that paragraph, you've written 'This suggests the boy enjoys playing music. This infers his parents also play a musical instrument and the boy is inspired by the parents and therefore wants to follow in their footsteps.' However, I would say: from this, we can infer (then insert the stuff about instruments and inspiration.)

Also, think about if the two boys -as you've written about them in the first paragraph- are actually different in terms of their passion for running/music. If they are, that's fine, I was just wondering.

sorry, i couldn't edit the rest of it like above, but if I have time I can come back to do some more. hope that helped : )

2017 June paper 2

Hiya! I did English Language at uni so this calls to me haha!

Paragraph 1:
I think the quote about the boy in Source A is good but the 'this suggests he likes running' is not detailed enough, and is perhaps not worth writing, because you're essentially just repeating what you've already said:

'The boy in Source A enjoys 'running up to people.' This suggests he likes running' - no offence, but do you see what I mean? It's just too obvious and isn't really worth saying, haha :biggrin:.

You could explain this further by saying that it shows his childishness and the fact that he has a lot more energy than the boy in Source B, who seems to play happily and quietly on his own with his toys.

Again, you've picked a good quote about the boy in Source B, about him playing drums etc, but you've stated the obvious that he likes to play music and haven't said anything about that. You could say he seems more creative than the boy in Source A, and makes noise in a more mature way, rather than screaming and running around like the boy in Source B. It sounds to me like there is a difference between the times in which the children grew up - like you mention in one of your other paragraphs, Source A seems to be written about a boy who is now a child, and Source B is about a child who is now a teenager, if that makes sense?

I also don't see how this infers that the parents also play musical instruments, so you'd need to expand on this, but it could be a great, 'out-of-the-box' point if you executed it right! :smile:

Paragraph 2:
First of all, just a picky one, but try to change the way that you start your paragraphs, as you start each one by saying 'another difference between....' Maybe try starting with 'The quote '....' from Source A suggests that ......, whereas the boy in Source B .....' If that makes sense?

I'm really sorry but I don't think your quote says anything about how the boy in Source A likes to play, because he's talking about what the boy was like as a baby, as they are both quite nostalgic sources. But the second quote about Source B is really good, so maybe try picking a different quote that compares the two. Again, you've made a point that is too obvious and haven't explained it: how does the fact that he is observant of his surroundings show that he loves learning?

Paragraph 3:
Again, you've picked a point about what the boy did as a baby, and I'm not sure that this is what is expected of you? I would say this point may be best as an intro, where you would be describing the context of the two sources, e.g. how old you think they are, the difference in time that they potentially grew up in, etc :smile:

I really hope this helps, I'm busy pretty much all weekend but I'll try and get back to you if you need any more advice :smile:
Original post by netflix84
can I just ask what grade you're aiming for?

but speaking of the actual writing, it is good, it just needs a few tweaks here and there.

for example when you said 'This suggests he likes running', it's not really necessary, because we already knew that fact from the quotation. so, you could use that phrase and instead say: this suggests/ shines a light on/implies his energetic and excitable nature.

Then, you could use 'furthermore' instead of 'on top of that' and talk further about how the boy is lively around visitors.

At the end of that paragraph, you've written 'This suggests the boy enjoys playing music. This infers his parents also play a musical instrument and the boy is inspired by the parents and therefore wants to follow in their footsteps.' However, I would say: from this, we can infer (then insert the stuff about instruments and inspiration.)

Also, think about if the two boys -as you've written about them in the first paragraph- are actually different in terms of their passion for running/music. If they are, that's fine, I was just wondering.

sorry, i couldn't edit the rest of it like above, but if I have time I can come back to do some more. hope that helped : )

I don’t know what grade im aiming for but hopefully 5/6/7 out of 8 for this question. I understand that it was stating the obvious but I was trying to complete it in less than 20 minutes. Hah I’ll definitely take you’re comments on board and do some practice. What mark do you think I would get out of 8 for this question because I have no idea where I’m at because of lockdown and disruption and I have mocks in the coming weeks 😭
I don’t know what grade im aiming for but hopefully 5/6/7 out of 8 for this question. I understand that it was stating the obvious but I was trying to complete it in less than 20 minutes. Hah I’ll definitely take you’re comments on board and do some practice. What mark do you think I would get out of 8 for this question because I have no idea where I’m at because of lockdown and disruption and I have mocks in the coming weeks 😭

id say this is at a 5/8, but at the top of a 5- if I can say that. Getting to a six would be really easy for you if you just correct some of the stuff that I pointed out (there's also a couple of spag errors).
Hi firstly this is only an 8 mark question so you must aim to complete it in around 10 minutes rather than the 20 that you state otherwise you will run out of time for the rest of the questions. The key to getting a 5 or 6 (out of 8) in this question is by ensuring that you make clear inference dont leave the examiner with any queries in their mind. You only need to make 1 clear inference to be awarded a mark 5. Your answer was inconsistent because when you made the
id say this is at a 5/8, but at the top of a 5- if I can say that. Getting to a six would be really easy for you if you just correct some of the stuff that I pointed out (there's also a couple of spag errors).

What about getting to the top end 7-8. I also thought that SPaG is not taken into account with this question, or that’s what I’ve been told by my teacher. Thank you though
What about getting to the top end 7-8. I also thought that SPaG is not taken into account with this question, or that’s what I’ve been told by my teacher. Thank you though

top level will take some time- you need high-level vocabulary that is not repeated throughout and you need actual inferences- not just a re-phrasing of the quotation
and yeah, while spag doesn't have its own section of marks, in english its always accounted for when deciding the final mark, so while it doesn't have to be super high level (at least in this 8 marker), it needs to be correctly used consistently at the minimum.
hope this helps :smile:
top level will take some time- you need high-level vocabulary that is not repeated throughout and you need actual inferences- not just a re-phrasing of the quotation
and yeah, while spag doesn't have its own section of marks, in english its always accounted for when deciding the final mark, so while it doesn't have to be super high level (at least in this 8 marker), it needs to be correctly used consistently at the minimum.
hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much, I will definitely work on those things. Thank you for the help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by username5152584

2017 June paper 2

very useful thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending