Hopellaxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm going into my first year of university i was wondering what would be better private halls or university dorms.

university dorms are far cheaper but I'm more concerned about the social side of things

any advice would be great

thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Hopellaxx)
I'm going into my first year of university i was wondering what would be better private halls or university dorms.

university dorms are far cheaper but I'm more concerned about the social side of things

thanks
At the moment and based on what people say I wouldnt be going to uni as the impact of cv19 makes it sound like an unhappy experience.

In a normal year for y1 I would go Uni owned for better LL, often better situated and because the absolute majority will be fellow freshers to make friends with rather than cliqued off 2nd and 3rd years plus well off studes who may not speak to you. The plan after than is to make friends and move out with them. be warned in any hall if you dont have social skills or are unlicky then you might not make friends in your flat, some of it is luck. Its importnat to have some social skills and not lots of social anxiety. So I would find a good uni with a decent social side and then carefully select the hall that met your requirements. the rooms are often of a lower standard or older/ basic, but uni as a LL tends to be better as well.

Do NOT commit/ sign until absolutely sure as once you do you are commuted to pay for the rest of the year.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

thanks
Hiya!

At the moment with covid I know that a lot of students are deferring and waiting to attend uni next year (hopefully) when things will be a little more normal because at the moment uni life isn't the stereotypical image most students have in their mind.

However, I personally loved being in university halls in first year as it really pushes you to be independent but you are supported by being with 4-10 other students in your flat and is a little cheaper than the private halls offered. I know so many students loved being in halls for their first year and making friends who you can then go on to live with in your later years at uni.

Make a pros and cons list for either halls to try and balance out your thoughts, and put a post on the university you are thinking of attending to ask specifics about both accommodations they offer to give you a better idea of what one you prefer.

Stay safe. Sam- Official Student Rep
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

thanks
The social side of uni halls is normally fine.

Private halls are normally setup to maximise money, which is why the rents are a bit more. Most unis dont have enough halls for everyone so private accommodation fills the gap for those desperate for a halls experience. Or increasingly a more luxurious room with more ammenities then what older halls offer.
jazzyc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Just in my first year(private hall) and I would say go with university def, private seem to care more about the money than sort out things
Also moving rooms seems easier within the uni , private just seems to say No(and uni do not involved as you have not rented with them)
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Uni halls being cheaper than all private alternatives is a bit unusual imo, I would check into how large their supply of cheaper halls is, what the quality of that accommodation is, and if there are any requirements to move out during holidays/move out earlier after term finishes. Uni halls usually come with a greater community and sometimes perks like discounts for certain activities so they often carry a premium.

Private halls are generally split into two categories: accommodation which is slightly cheaper than university halls, and luxury accommodation. The slightly cheaper halls are targeted at people who want to save money but perhaps aren't able to do a house share e.g. they're in first year, whilst luxury accommodation is aimed mostly at international students who want to pay extra for the comfort and location, and often the international student communities are more centred on private halls rather than university halls, so they have that added bonus. I know a lot of the "luxury" private halls have Chinese speaking staff on site during weekdays to better cater to that audience, and from living in 3 different private halls myself, 2 of those had like single digits of British students, and the other one was less than about 20 I guess and I imagine that was only because it was extremely cheap for what it offered.

The benefits of private halls are mostly seen beyond first year, because most university halls have limited space for later years so their real competition is private student houses rather than university halls. In which case private halls offer an en-suite whereas most houses will be shared bathroom, alongside offering certain benefits/guarantees regarding quality of service and contracts e.g. only have to rent your room, can keep your room until late August/September.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (69)
30.53%
No (157)
69.47%

Watched Threads