15mohsinfa
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Predict the bond angle in an F2O molecule. Explain your answer.

I said 103? it that right because one lone pair repels about 2.5 and since there are two it would be 5. But the normal shape of a molecule with 2 bonded pairs would be 180. So I am really confused as to what the normal bond angle shape would be if there were no lone pairs? would it be 107.5?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 15mohsinfa)
Predict the bond angle in an F2O molecule. Explain your answer.

I said 103? it that right because one lone pair repels about 2.5 and since there are two it would be 5. But the normal shape of a molecule with 2 bonded pairs would be 180. So I am really confused as to what the normal bond angle shape would be if there were no lone pairs? would it be 107.5?
O would like to have 8 e- in its outer shell. These would like to be in four pairs of e-. These four pairs would repel each other to maximum distance, i.e. in a tetrahedral arrangement, 109.5o.

Your logic then follows, each lone pair should take 2.5o off that angle, two would be 5o. 109.5=5=104.5o Bent, like water.
15mohsinfa
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
O would like to have 8 e- in its outer shell. These would like to be in four pairs of e-. These four pairs would repel each other to maximum distance, i.e. in a tetrahedral arrangement, 109.5o.

Your logic then follows, each lone pair should take 2.5o off that angle, two would be 5o. 109.5=5=104.5o Bent, like water.
oh yes, but how much the 2 molecules of fluorine repel then?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 15mohsinfa)
oh yes, but how much the 2 molecules of fluorine repel then?
Firstly, they are not molecules, they are atoms.

Secondly, the theory is known as VSEPR.

alence hell lectron air epulsion.

Atoms do not repel, it is the bond and lone pairs around the central atom that do all the repelling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (60)
22.3%
Note taking apps (6)
2.23%
Flashcards (51)
18.96%
Revision guides (15)
5.58%
Past papers (128)
47.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (9)
3.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed