The Student Room Group

What’s it like being a web developer/ software

I’m studying computing and I’m not sure what sector I should go into and I was was wondering what do you do as web developer and how much is the salary
Original post by Jw1925999
I’m studying computing and I’m not sure what sector I should go into and I was was wondering what do you do as web developer and how much is the salary

There's no fixed answer to this.

As far as salary goes, Googling for averages (keep in mind you can do this yourself) throws up figures in the range of £35K. Naturally there are roles paying much more, and roles paying much less. It's unlikely you'll start at this salary of course, I seem to remember generic web dev jobs tended to be more in the region of £20-25K. Of course if you're above average there's every possibility of demanding a higher salary. But you also need to enjoy the job, and the salary shouldn't be the onyl factor in your decision.

As for what the job entails, that's equally broad. Web development can mean anything from designing websites to managing backend infrastructure to building webapps. There's no "all web dev jobs involve these tasks", like many fields it's quite broad. In some senses it'll be quite similar to regular software development, just with different technologies. Other jobs may be vastly different.

This is very much a "Google and do a ton of your own research" type question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending