dyinginside2.0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So I have been struggling to find some resource to explain the cognitive explanations for both delusions and hallucinations. Can anybody explain it perhaps in simpler terms? Thanks
ehj5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by dyinginside2.0)
So I have been struggling to find some resource to explain the cognitive explanations for both delusions and hallucinations. Can anybody explain it perhaps in simpler terms? Thanks
One cognitive explanation is the dysfunction of metarepresenation, where the person can't recognise whether their actions and thoughts are being carried out by themselves or someone else, therefore causing delusions or hallucinations.
There is also Central Control, and Auditory Selective Attention but these are explanations of negative symptoms like speech poverty
dyinginside2.0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by ehj5)
One cognitive explanation is the dysfunction of metarepresenation, where the person can't recognise whether their actions and thoughts are being carried out by themselves or someone else, therefore causing delusions or hallucinations.
There is also Central Control, and Auditory Selective Attention but these are explanations of negative symptoms like speech poverty
Thanks
emma543
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by dyinginside2.0)
Hi!!

Cognitive explanations of schizophrenia have found evidence of dysfunctional thought processing in people with schizophrenia.

Cognitive explanations of delusions
State that the patient's interpretation of their experiences are controlled by inadequate information processing, with a critical characteristic being ego-centric bias- manifested in a patient's tendency to relate irrelevant events to themselves and consequently arrive at false conclusions

Cognitive explanations of hallucinations
Suggest patients focus excessive attention on auditory stimuli (hyper-vigilance) and so have a higher expectancy for the occurrence of a voice than normal individuals.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.06%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.37%

Watched Threads