English Language and Linguistics Graduate - AMA

Watch
A.Peters0797
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone!

I graduated last year with a 2.1 from York St John and have been loving giving people advice for both English Language and Literature (mainly GCSE and A-Level AQA, but they're essentially all the same, haha!). Feel free to post your concerns about exam questions, exam technique, essay structure, or just about anything, and I'd love to help

If you have any uni life questions feel free to ask those here too!

By the way, I'm mostly only available during the week (Monday-Friday), but I will get back to weekend posts ASAP x
Last edited by A.Peters0797; 2 months ago
bfg2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by A.Peters0797)
Hi everyone!

I graduated last year with a 2.1 from York St John and have been loving giving people advice for both English Language and Literature (mainly GCSE and A-Level AQA, but they're essentially all the same, haha!). Feel free to post your concerns about exam questions, exam technique, essay structure, or just about anything, and I'd love to help

If you have any uni life questions feel free to ask those here too!

By the way, I'm mostly only available during the week (Monday-Friday), but I will get back to weekend posts ASAP x
Hey! I'm first year psychology and was thinking about doing English Language next year to potentially go into journalism if my current course doesnt work out since I've been struggling a bit. At uni level, how much of English Language is analytical and how much is creative writing? Or does that depend on the uni you go to? I took Language at A-level and although I found the terminology daunting at times, I really miss having English in my life lol.
A.Peters0797
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by bfg2001)
Hey! I'm first year psychology and was thinking about doing English Language next year to potentially go into journalism if my current course doesnt work out since I've been struggling a bit. At uni level, how much of English Language is analytical and how much is creative writing? Or does that depend on the uni you go to? I took Language at A-level and although I found the terminology daunting at times, I really miss having English in my life lol.
Ahh okay, well hopefully your first choice works out but its good to have options so you're not too disappointed by it! to be honest English Language at uni is generally a whole new kettle of fish, but that might be just because I did Linguistics too, which is the scientifics such as language development, speech impediments, accents, etc. There is a lot more analysis, but there might be some creative writing modules depending on the uni you go to. It's good to go for something you know you'll enjoy, but journalism/creative writing courses will make it a lot easier to join the journalism industry I would think.

What uni are you thinking of joining if you decide to do English?
bfg2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by A.Peters0797)
Ahh okay, well hopefully your first choice works out but its good to have options so you're not too disappointed by it! to be honest English Language at uni is generally a whole new kettle of fish, but that might be just because I did Linguistics too, which is the scientifics such as language development, speech impediments, accents, etc. There is a lot more analysis, but there might be some creative writing modules depending on the uni you go to. It's good to go for something you know you'll enjoy, but journalism/creative writing courses will make it a lot easier to join the journalism industry I would think.

What uni are you thinking of joining if you decide to do English?
Sorry for the late reply! I was going to go to Swansea University since I'm based in that area. I've done some further research into the courses they offer and along with an English Language course and a Journalism course, they also have a combined English Language and Journalism course which looks like it could be an ideal choice for me since it combines modules from the separate courses into one!
Last edited by bfg2001; 2 months ago
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by bfg2001)
Sorry for the late reply! I was going to go to Swansea University since I'm based in that area. I've done some further research into the courses they offer and along with an English Language course and a Journalism course, they also have a combined English Language and Journalism course which looks like it could be an ideal choice for me since it combines modules from the separate courses into one!
Hey bfg2001, it's great to hear that you're interested in our course in Swansea! If you have any questions or if there's anything I can help with then let me know!
QforUK2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
HI A.Peters0707,

It is so great to finally find a thread on English language and writing courses and unis, because I am from India and picking colleges in the UK is turning out harder than I thought because of so much conflicting information.

To summarize, I have offers from Anglia Ruskin, University of Dundee, Manchester Metropolitan, Birmingham City, University of Westminster, Coventry University and the University of Kent. I am having a lot of trouble deciding between these universities, as I have read some clashing reviews about them and do not know any student from these universities.

You seem to be really knowledgeable about this space, could you help me out? I would be extremely grateful, and it would go a long way towards helping out my future. I really want to study creative writing from a university that has amazing faculty and student involvement for the course, and which has a competent placement cell so that I can find a good job out of university.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tell me more about the course
A.Peters0797
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by QforUK2020)
HI A.Peters0707,

It is so great to finally find a thread on English language and writing courses and unis, because I am from India and picking colleges in the UK is turning out harder than I thought because of so much conflicting information.

To summarize, I have offers from Anglia Ruskin, University of Dundee, Manchester Metropolitan, Birmingham City, University of Westminster, Coventry University and the University of Kent. I am having a lot of trouble deciding between these universities, as I have read some clashing reviews about them and do not know any student from these universities.

You seem to be really knowledgeable about this space, could you help me out? I would be extremely grateful, and it would go a long way towards helping out my future. I really want to study creative writing from a university that has amazing faculty and student involvement for the course, and which has a competent placement cell so that I can find a good job out of university.
Hi,

Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply.
It's difficult to say which one will be good, as I've never been to these unis, nor have I attended their open days. I believe they will all do virtual open days at some point so I would suggest getting a feel for what they all have to offer in this way. You should hopefully be able to listen to the lecturers and judge your decision based on how knowledgeable and approachable they seem, and they will talk to you about the modules they teach. Or I would suggest reading the prospectus of each uni, which will have all of the modules they offer, and decide which ones you would find the most interesting and base if off that. Also try googling what each city has to offer to ensure that you'd enjoy living there during your time at university.

Hope this helps!
A.Peters0797
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Tell me more about the course
Are we talking English Language and Linguistics?

If so, at York St John specifically, it is pretty much the scientific side of the (English) Language, so how people acquire/learn languages, speech and language therapy techniques, issues in language learning, grammar, phonetics, semantics and pragmatic, language in the media and how people use communication in everyday life. It's a really interesting course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads