The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety Thread 2020

Hi everyone!

I have suffered with social anxiety for most of my life, and still regularly have nervous outbreaks in certain situations. I've seen plenty of other people on The Student Room with similar experiences and thought it would be a good idea to create a thread (if there isn't one already) for people to share their experiences, vent about people who don't understand, etc etc, and hopefully I'll be able to give some advice on how to cope! :smile:

I'm mostly available Monday-Friday, and will be slower to respond over the weekend, but bear with me and I will definitely get back to you! x
Hey, this thread is a great idea! I also deal with social anxiety and it can be so dibilitating. Simple things like going and paying for something can make me so anxious and overthink about getting things wrong and being looked at by people. I've been in situations with people I don't really know and the fear of saying something wrong or not saying anything at all is horrible, especially when you really want to make friends. There have been times where I just can't deal with a social situation and just go to the toilet and try calm myself. The worst thing for me is that I go bright red when people talk to me and it makes me want to shut down. I feel like people don't really understand and I wish I could just be normal and talk to people.
Original post by ianderson133
Hey, this thread is a great idea! I also deal with social anxiety and it can be so dibilitating. Simple things like going and paying for something can make me so anxious and overthink about getting things wrong and being looked at by people. I've been in situations with people I don't really know and the fear of saying something wrong or not saying anything at all is horrible, especially when you really want to make friends. There have been times where I just can't deal with a social situation and just go to the toilet and try calm myself. The worst thing for me is that I go bright red when people talk to me and it makes me want to shut down. I feel like people don't really understand and I wish I could just be normal and talk to people.

Hey, yeah I thought so because most people only talk about anxiety and not specifically the social side of things :smile: I'm literally on the opposite end of what you struggle with at the moment - I've just got a job at a supermarket on the checkouts and get sooo much anxiety, not even about the job necessarily just talking to customers haha! Are you at school college or uni at the moment or do you work?

Wow I'm exactly the same, I fear that by not talking to people they're judging me when they're probably really not, and often have mini breakdowns in the toilet too!
Lol had this since i was 5. Welcome to the club 😄
Nah but for real, I hope it goes away (I dunno why S.A exists).
Original post by A.Peters0797
Hey, yeah I thought so because most people only talk about anxiety and not specifically the social side of things :smile: I'm literally on the opposite end of what you struggle with at the moment - I've just got a job at a supermarket on the checkouts and get sooo much anxiety, not even about the job necessarily just talking to customers haha! Are you at school college or uni at the moment or do you work?

Wow I'm exactly the same, I fear that by not talking to people they're judging me when they're probably really not, and often have mini breakdowns in the toilet too!

ahh yeah that would really make me anxious, i'm currently looking for a part time job which is pretty tricky at the moment. As much as working at a supermarket would make me anxious I really need the money so might apply to a few and see what happens. Ahh its nice to talk to someone that can relate to that, I really don't understand how people can naturally be so confident, its such a shame that the only way I can be confident is through alcohol. That has its own issues, as once i've had a few I start feeling chill and start chatting, but then the next morning i'm all anxious and quiet.

The fear of being judged is so annoying, I overthink everything and assume that someone doesn't like me cause im not chatty. I'm the type of person that takes months to completely be myself around someone. I also hate being called "quiet" or have people saying "She doesn't talk much" or "I like her but she's really quiet" I wish people could realise that talking just doesn't come naturally to some people.
hey!!, i’m not diagnosed with social anxiety or anything, but i do have a lot of the symptoms. i’m probably not going to get a diagnosis because i can kind of... suppress?? my feelings? and it doesn’t affect me too much in my daily life, but i was just wondering, what was the turning point that made you guys seek one??

this thread seems like such a good idea. thank you for making it :smile:.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
hey!!, i’m not diagnosed with social anxiety or anything, but i do have a lot of the symptoms. i’m probably not going to get a diagnosis because i can kind of... suppress?? my feelings? and it doesn’t affect me too much in my daily life, but i was just wondering, what was the turning point that made you guys seek one??

this thread seems like such a good idea. thank you for making it :smile:.

Spoiler

i'm not diagnosed either, I feel like a diagnoses wouldn't really benefit me cause I know myself and how I feel. i've just kinda accepted that that's how I react when i'm in an uncomfortable situation.
i'm not diagnosed either, I feel like a diagnoses wouldn't really benefit me cause I know myself and how I feel. i've just kinda accepted that that's how I react when i'm in an uncomfortable situation.

yeah, i can understand that. the only reason i’d ever would is to try and confirm it? like, there’s been a big thing online of people calling feelings like shyness ‘social anxiety’, and i feel like i’m kind of like them too if it’s not diagnosed, but i talk about it like i am?? i don’t know... i’m probably just overthinking it haha
ahh yeah that would really make me anxious, i'm currently looking for a part time job which is pretty tricky at the moment. As much as working at a supermarket would make me anxious I really need the money so might apply to a few and see what happens. Ahh its nice to talk to someone that can relate to that, I really don't understand how people can naturally be so confident, its such a shame that the only way I can be confident is through alcohol. That has its own issues, as once i've had a few I start feeling chill and start chatting, but then the next morning i'm all anxious and quiet.

The fear of being judged is so annoying, I overthink everything and assume that someone doesn't like me cause im not chatty. I'm the type of person that takes months to completely be myself around someone. I also hate being called "quiet" or have people saying "She doesn't talk much" or "I like her but she's really quiet" I wish people could realise that talking just doesn't come naturally to some people.

Yeah I definitely recommend supermarkets as a starting point, i do feel a bit more comfortable with it as time goes on but I dont tend to bother making small talk in case I say something dumb haha! I'm also the same with alcohol, I will drink before pre-drinks so that I'm comfortable with talking to people that I might not know.

I've definitely got it in my head that people think I'm being rude or not likeable because I struggle with my anxiety too, and try not to care for the most part, but it still gets to me like it does you when people call me quiet hmph haha
Original post by A.Peters0797
Yeah I definitely recommend supermarkets as a starting point, i do feel a bit more comfortable with it as time goes on but I dont tend to bother making small talk in case I say something dumb haha! I'm also the same with alcohol, I will drink before pre-drinks so that I'm comfortable with talking to people that I might not know.

I've definitely got it in my head that people think I'm being rude or not likeable because I struggle with my anxiety too, and try not to care for the most part, but it still gets to me like it does you when people call me quiet hmph haha

That does sounds like a good idea, ahh yeah I bet i'd be the same ahah. Yes exactly, it just makes situations easier. Yeah its so annoying!!
Original post by Anonymous
yeah, i can understand that. the only reason i’d ever would is to try and confirm it? like, there’s been a big thing online of people calling feelings like shyness ‘social anxiety’, and i feel like i’m kind of like them too if it’s not diagnosed, but i talk about it like i am?? i don’t know... i’m probably just overthinking it haha

Yeah that makes sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest