BigPaw123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi All,

Are there anyone applying for MFin programme this year? If yes, please feel free to introduce yourself and share your experience with the application.

Many Thanks,
Mscfin2021
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by BigPaw123)
Hi All,

Are there anyone applying for MFin programme this year? If yes, please feel free to introduce yourself and share your experience with the application.

Many Thanks,
Hi! I applied in mid December and it went into review early Jan. I haven't heard anything since then yet. Any updates on your end?
Psyga
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there, I applied in mid Jan and is waiting for my last referee to complete my reference. Has anyone received an interview already ?
kd9559
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you want to get any feedback about MFin program, you can get in touch. I am currently studying MFin with huge disappointment. You better save your money. Robbery is at its highest here with zero employment opportunity, low quality lectures and irrelevant speaker series.
PM me if you have any questions.
sunburned
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Applied in December 2020, interviewed in February '21, offer extended a few days later after interview.
Mscfin2021
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by sunburned)
Applied in December 2020, interviewed in February '21, offer extended a few days later after interview.
Hi! Congratulations! How was the interview? Any tips? Do you think you'll accept?
sunburned
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mscfin2021)
Hi! Congratulations! How was the interview? Any tips? Do you think you'll accept?
Thanks. Interview was with the Dean of the MFin programme. My tip is to just be yourself (sorry for the cliche).
Mscfin2021
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks. Interview was with the Dean of the MFin programme. My tip is to just be yourself (sorry for the cliche).
Thanks
galileo1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, congratulations. I had an interview last week as well, and got the offer three days later. Are you planning to accept? Or do you believe that Covid will impact the experience in a negative way?
sunburned
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Congrats to you too. Yes I have accepted. Regarding covid: hopefully things will have returned to some level of normalcy by then but admittedly very little of that is under the school’s control. If in-person is still not possible by the time classes begin then yes I think it is going to significantly impact the programme’s delivery (especially the networking opportunities) but that applies to all schools in the UK, not just Cambridge. What are your thoughts?
BigPaw123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey Guys,

I received and offer in mid December and applied in October. Quite excited about the course!
Last edited by BigPaw123; 4 months ago
galileo1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks! I am thinking about postponing to next year, as a very large component of the programme is the networking part, group projects, meeting finance professionals etc. I am afraid that having this online will not give the return that I would normally expect. An other part is that with the mutations and so on, we could expect having restrictions for another 6-12 months, even if the vaccine is out. I would believe that the «present value» of the investment would be larger if going to Cambridge in 2022.. however, this is my thoughts
BigPaw123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by galileo1996)
Thanks! I am thinking about postponing to next year, as a very large component of the programme is the networking part, group projects, meeting finance professionals etc. I am afraid that having this online will not give the return that I would normally expect. An other part is that with the mutations and so on, we could expect having restrictions for another 6-12 months, even if the vaccine is out. I would believe that the «present value» of the investment would be larger if going to Cambridge in 2022.. however, this is my thoughts
This is a good point and I also thought about that. However, if the situation with pandemic will end around the time of graduation (in 2022), there will be a once in a lifetime chance to enter recovering economy which can bring a LOT of fantastic opportunities. Also, to be honest, I think networking at universities is completely overrated. I don't even take it into consideration that I will get the job through networking. Just having a Cambridge in CV opens-up so many doors (but only if you want it).

Also, the truth is that the content of the course is not that important. You can learn all of the technical stuff in Coursera or Udemy for the fraction of the price. What matters is that Cambridge accepted you and will sing under your qualification. I will take the bet and enroll in 2021. I personally don't care about the pandemic, networking, and all of that. I will be attending one of the best universities in the world and this is enough to change everything
sunburned
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think those are very legitimate concerns ... nothing can replace the in-person elements of the programme. If you're in no rush to complete your MSc and you're comfortable with where you currently are career-wise, then I guess the cautious thing to do is to defer.

That said, the university will have had 2 cohorts of "Covid MFins" under their belt by Sept. 2021 so at the very least they will have accumulated some level of competence in mitigating the trade-offs from hybrid learning/networking. These concerns were frontally addressed during my interview and I was satisfied.

Ultimately, I'm optimistic but I guess we can revisit this thread in a year to see how things turned out!

Wishing you well!
rfreality2021
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
SERIOUS MUST READ:

I have studied at the Judge Business School for the MFIN. This is a complete regret. Message me for more info. Biggest regret in my entire life
Kkraider
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, congratulations. I had an interview last week as well, and got the offer three days later. Are you planning to accept? Or do you believe that Covid will impact the experience in a negative way?
Congratulations for the offer. I have an interview in a few weeks. Can you please share your interview experience?
galileo1996
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you, and congratulations with the interview. Well done!

The interview was straight forward, and very similar to the questions you are asked to answer in your personal statement. So you should be able to show that there is a match between the answers in your interview and what you have stated in your application. It wont be a banking interview. However, the experience can vary between who the interviewer is.

Good luck!
Kkraider
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you, and congratulations with the interview. Well done!

The interview was straight forward, and very similar to the questions you are asked to answer in your personal statement. So you should be able to show that there is a match between the answers in your interview and what you have stated in your application. It wont be a banking interview. However, the experience can vary between who the interviewer is.

Good luck!
Thanks for the information. I have an interview with a member of finance faculty. Did you face any technical questions?
galileo1996
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No not specific technical questions, but more about the industry I am aiming towards. Like for instance how did the covid affect it, and how do you believe it will be going forward.
user212121
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No not specific technical questions, but more about the industry I am aiming towards. Like for instance how did the covid affect it, and how do you believe it will be going forward.
Congratulations! I have an interview for the Mfin programme at Cambridge. I would like to know what the interview process is like and what type of questions are asked? Could you give me a brief about your experience and how I should prepare for it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (60)
36.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (17)
10.43%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (9)
5.52%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (39)
23.93%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
14.72%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
8.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed