Becky_Berry
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am planning on going on a Zoology/Ecology Foundation Year course? What level are the foundation subjects at? The ones I would have to take include Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Science.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Becky_Berry)
I am planning on going on a Zoology/Ecology Foundation Year course? What level are the foundation subjects at? The ones I would have to take include Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Science.
What do you mean 'what level are they at'? They are Foundation courses, Year 0, a preparation 'bridge' between weak Level 3 (A level, BTEC etc) and degree level study.

What is your second question? Do you mean these are the the A level subjects you require to take the Foundation course? So what is your actual question?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Foundation degrees are essentially substitutes of A Levels i.e. Level 3

Having said that, the way they teach you is more in line with university methods than regular A Levels, and they expect you to produce your assignments according to university guidelines.
Becky_Berry
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
What do you mean 'what level are they at'? They are Foundation courses, Year 0, a preparation 'bridge' between weak Level 3 (A level, BTEC etc) and degree level study.

What is your second question? Do you mean these are the the A level subjects you require to take the Foundation course? So what is your actual question?
I meant if I was to buy resources for them (textbooks if available) would A level ones suffice or is the Foundation year at a higher level? So would I have to buy Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Science A level textbooks?
Becky_Berry
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Foundation degrees are essentially substitutes of A Levels i.e. Level 3

Having said that, the way they teach you is more in line with university methods than regular A Levels, and they expect you to produce your assignments according to university guidelines.
So if I was to use A level textbooks to help with revision they wouldn't be far from the information I would need?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Becky_Berry)
So if I was to use A level textbooks to help with revision they wouldn't be far from the information I would need?
No, I wouldn't recommend it. The textbooks the universities specify for their degrees are very different to those for A Levels (go figure). I expect the textbooks to be more academic, but probably not as intensive. However, that usually means they're more expensive as well.
You should be able to find the textbooks you need in the short loan section of the university library, as they are required to stock the mandatory texts for your course.
Check the unit outline(s) for your degree module(s).

Also, foundation degrees tend to be more in line with what the university want to teach for their students to progress onto their bachelors, as opposed to what the nationally recognised syllabus would be. I can't guarantee the material in an A Level textbook will be all you need for the foundation degree.
The way they teach and assess you will also be different to A Levels. For one, I am guessing it's more research oriented than trying to give you as much material to memorise as possible. You will be expected to reference material based on a recognised academic style e.g. Harvard, which isn't taught in A Level texts to my knowledge.
The way a lot of uni students revise for their exams is to look at the lecture notes, and make detailed analysis of them, after you have done the necessary supplementary reading. The seminars act as opportunities to practice some of the examples and look into the material taught.
Becky_Berry
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
No, I wouldn't recommend it. The textbooks the universities specify for their degrees are very different to those for A Levels (go figure). I expect the textbooks to be more academic, but probably not as intensive. However, that usually means they're more expensive as well.
You should be able to find the textbooks you need in the short loan section of the university library, as they are required to stock the mandatory texts for your course.
Check the unit outline(s) for your degree module(s).

Also, foundation degrees tend to be more in line with what the university want to teach for their students to progress onto their bachelors, as opposed to what the nationally recognised syllabus would be. I can't guarantee the material in an A Level textbook will be all you need for the foundation degree.
The way they teach and assess you will also be different to A Levels. For one, I am guessing it's more research oriented than trying to give you as much material to memorise as possible. You will be expected to reference material based on a recognised academic style e.g. Harvard, which isn't taught in A Level texts to my knowledge.
The way a lot of uni students revise for their exams is to look at the lecture notes, and make detailed analysis of them, after you have done the necessary supplementary reading. The seminars act as opportunities to practice some of the examples and look into the material taught.
Okay. Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads