The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme 2021

Hey, I thought I’d create a feed for those applying to the Sutton Trust US Programme 2021! Who is else is thinking of applying? :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

I applied last year and got rejected :frown:
Hope you have better luck than I did
Original post by Jonathanツ

same!
Reply 3
Original post by Jonathanツ

Aww really?? That’s a shame :frown: I suppose everything happens for a reason though! Thank you so much
Original post by Anonymous
Aww really?? That’s a shame :frown: I suppose everything happens for a reason though! Thank you so much

well yes, they said i wasn't good enough

Just a heads up, the reason a lot of people were rejected last year was that they were over 5 times oversubscribed... Don't want to intimidate you, it's definitely worthwhile applying from what I've seen. Good luck to everyone applying this year.
Hi, I'm also thinking about applying for the programme. Have you finished your application?
Reply 7
Original post by schi.bella
Hi, I'm also thinking about applying for the programme. Have you finished your application?

Hey! No not yet, I still have to fill out my extracurricular activities and write the short essays. Have you? :smile:
Hi, I'm currently on the programme! As someone who was in your shoes last year and thought I had no chance of being selected, I am so glad I applied. Without sounding too cliche, it turned out to be the most life-changing experience I've ever had. I am currently applying to US universities and hoping for the best, but no matter the outcome I will always be grateful for the friends I made and the experiences I got to have. Agh, I just genuinely love STUP so much!!! Please, even if you're juuuust considering applying, simply do so - what's the worst that could happen? (: It might turn out to be the best thing you've ever done - that was certainly the case with me. If you have any questions, feel free to message me!
Hey! No not yet, I still have to fill out my extracurricular activities and write the short essays. Have you? :smile:

Hiya! I haven't finished either, you're way ahead of me lol. Wishing you the best of luck! :smile:
Original post by itdobemefolks
Hi, I'm currently on the programme! As someone who was in your shoes last year and thought I had no chance of being selected, I am so glad I applied. Without sounding too cliche, it turned out to be the most life-changing experience I've ever had. I am currently applying to US universities and hoping for the best, but no matter the outcome I will always be grateful for the friends I made and the experiences I got to have. Agh, I just genuinely love STUP so much!!! Please, even if you're juuuust considering applying, simply do so - what's the worst that could happen? (: It might turn out to be the best thing you've ever done - that was certainly the case with me. If you have any questions, feel free to message me!

I agree... what's the worst that could happen? However, I'm particularly worried about my lack of extracurricular activities, how many would you say is enough? And also any general advice for us during the application period? Wishing you the best of luck with your applications to the american universities, I really hope it works out for you :smile:
Hiya! I haven't finished either, you're way ahead of me lol. Wishing you the best of luck! :smile:

Thank you so much, and you too! Keep me updated :smile:
I agree... what's the worst that could happen? However, I'm particularly worried about my lack of extracurricular activities, how many would you say is enough? And also any general advice for us during the application period? Wishing you the best of luck with your applications to the american universities, I really hope it works out for you :smile:

Extracurriculars are about quality more than quantity and it's hard to say anything general about them. What I will say is that I thought my extracurriculars were very weak when I applied and... I'm here. I think that as long as you show that you did utilise the opportunities you were given, you're fine. My general advice would be, as cliche as it sounds, to truly be yourself and to not be afraid to be out of the box with your answers, especially in the extended written answers bit. (: Don't try to find the "right" answer or format to answer them, just try to reflect you as a person the best you can in your application! Good luck with your applications, guys, and thank you for your wishes! (:

Hi. Sutton Trust Cohort 5, at a US uni here. Can also say that the programme was also the most life-changing for me
Extracurriculars are about quality more than quantity and it's hard to say anything general about them. What I will say is that I thought my extracurriculars were very weak when I applied and... I'm here. I think that as long as you show that you did utilise the opportunities you were given, you're fine. My general advice would be, as cliche as it sounds, to truly be yourself and to not be afraid to be out of the box with your answers, especially in the extended written answers bit. (: Don't try to find the "right" answer or format to answer them, just try to reflect you as a person the best you can in your application! Good luck with your applications, guys, and thank you for your wishes! (:

agree! Just to explain further
1 .Quality over Quantity
2. Have strong extracurricular activities, generally. What you really need, it something to help you stand out. Everyone can get an A in Maths A Level but not everyone will win a debate competition.
3. Write about whatever come to your mind! It helps to be out of the box so you stand out, but do not force anything. Doesn't need to be the best literary piece they've read (not at all). Just make it unique, and specific to you and no-one else
4. Taking time to reflect will help you understand yourself as a person better, which will make for better and more interesting essays

Thank you I appreciate this and will take that into account. :smile:
Original post by bant_bus
Hi. Sutton Trust Cohort 5, at a US uni here. Can also say that the programme was also the most life-changing for me

wow... what are you studying?
Original post by bant_bus
agree! Just to explain further
1 .Quality over Quantity
2. Have strong extracurricular activities, generally. What you really need, it something to help you stand out. Everyone can get an A in Maths A Level but not everyone will win a debate competition.
3. Write about whatever come to your mind! It helps to be out of the box so you stand out, but do not force anything. Doesn't need to be the best literary piece they've read (not at all). Just make it unique, and specific to you and no-one else
4. Taking time to reflect will help you understand yourself as a person better, which will make for better and more interesting essays

Thank you for the advice :smile:
Hey, I thought I’d create a feed for those applying to the Sutton Trust US Programme 2021! Who is else is thinking of applying? :smile:)

Ahhh I'm gonna apply, I'm gonna try finish my application in the next few days if possible and I really don't think I'll get in tbh. I think I'm not really what they're looking for because my school is a pretty decent state school and although I got the criteria to apply I'm probably 'too' advantaged in their eyes? Idk how's it going for you guys??
Original post by space_daddy
Ahhh I'm gonna apply, I'm gonna try finish my application in the next few days if possible and I really don't think I'll get in tbh. I think I'm not really what they're looking for because my school is a pretty decent state school and although I got the criteria to apply I'm probably 'too' advantaged in their eyes? Idk how's it going for you guys??

State school is still state school! shoot your shot. if you don't believe in yourself, they wont! so do, i do!

Quick Reply

Latest