The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itdobemefolks
Hi, I'm currently on the programme! As someone who was in your shoes last year and thought I had no chance of being selected, I am so glad I applied. Without sounding too cliche, it turned out to be the most life-changing experience I've ever had. I am currently applying to US universities and hoping for the best, but no matter the outcome I will always be grateful for the friends I made and the experiences I got to have. Agh, I just genuinely love STUP so much!!! Please, even if you're juuuust considering applying, simply do so - what's the worst that could happen? (: It might turn out to be the best thing you've ever done - that was certainly the case with me. If you have any questions, feel free to message me!

Hi im applying to the programme this year am was wondering how much support you get from Sutton Trust with finding scholarships because I would practically need a full ride if I stand a chance of affording US study.
I am also applying this year, I was looking for some type of thread like this.

I am concerned about my extracurriculars too. Even if it's quality over quantity I still don't really have the quality, I've never been too focused on them as they don't matter in the UK and the rest of my life keeps me too busy anyway. I'm hoping this comes across in the application. I've put down in the extenuating circumstances, how I work 20 hours a week as well as acting as a carer for my mum. After this, 4 a-levels and epq I'm not left with much time for ECs. I've got: Caring^, Tutoring, Prefect, Y12 university maths course thing, Music lessons (only started a year ago though so I'm not grade 8 or anything), EPQ, and I started art as a hobby but Im not sure whether to put that down as it's nothing official or verifiable, just something I do on my own at home.

Anyways how is everyone else feeling, I'm a bit worried about the short essays and video interview, I've not even started yet.
Original post by themartinipolice
I am also applying this year, I was looking for some type of thread like this.

I am concerned about my extracurriculars too. Even if it's quality over quantity I still don't really have the quality, I've never been too focused on them as they don't matter in the UK and the rest of my life keeps me too busy anyway. I'm hoping this comes across in the application. I've put down in the extenuating circumstances, how I work 20 hours a week as well as acting as a carer for my mum. After this, 4 a-levels and epq I'm not left with much time for ECs. I've got: Caring^, Tutoring, Prefect, Y12 university maths course thing, Music lessons (only started a year ago though so I'm not grade 8 or anything), EPQ, and I started art as a hobby but Im not sure whether to put that down as it's nothing official or verifiable, just something I do on my own at home.

Anyways how is everyone else feeling, I'm a bit worried about the short essays and video interview, I've not even started yet.

Hey,

I realise it's easier said than done, however try your best not to worry about it too much as everyone that is applying will be in the same position as you - including myself. Personally I've also been finding it pretty stressful trying to complete this application because there is so much to it, however we can only hope that it all this hard work pays off in the end. As for me, I still have to film my video interview and finish off one of my essays. The reason why it's taking me so long to complete is because I'm scared in case I think of more to say, but all that we can do is try our best! The only thing that is annoying me is that the essays are only 150 words long as there is only so much that you can say within that word count. I'd suggest that you add art as an extracurricular - alongside your others that sound really good - because if it is something that you take time out of your day to do and enjoy, then I believe it's well worth a mention! I'm also sure that they will take into consideration that you work and act as a carer for your mum - something that I also do :smile: - because everyone that is applying will come from so many different backgrounds and circumstances.

Hope this has made you feel slightly better.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I realise it's easier said than done, however try your best not to worry about it too much as everyone that is applying will be in the same position as you - including myself. Personally I've also been finding it pretty stressful trying to complete this application because there is so much to it, however we can only hope that it all this hard work pays off in the end. As for me, I still have to film my video interview and finish off one of my essays. The reason why it's taking me so long to complete is because I'm scared in case I think of more to say, but all that we can do is try our best! The only thing that is annoying me is that the essays are only 150 words long as there is only so much that you can say within that word count. I'd suggest that you add art as an extracurricular - alongside your others that sound really good - because if it is something that you take time out of your day to do and enjoy, then I believe it's well worth a mention! I'm also sure that they will take into consideration that you work and act as a carer for your mum - something that I also do :smile: - because everyone that is applying will come from so many different backgrounds and circumstances.

Hope this has made you feel slightly better.

Completely agree, I think once the deadline is done and it's out of my hands I will feel a bit better. I'm just the same I always think I could be editing or thinking of something else. And same with the word count. It's all just so foreign, the only essays we write of this sort of type would be English language essays, and they're supposed to be several pages of a4. Not looking forward to eventually doing the common app.
Completely agree, I think once the deadline is done and it's out of my hands I will feel a bit better. I'm just the same I always think I could be editing or thinking of something else. And same with the word count. It's all just so foreign, the only essays we write of this sort of type would be English language essays, and they're supposed to be several pages of a4. Not looking forward to eventually doing the common app.

I know I totally understand but see once we have finished, we'll be able to look back - regardless of the outcome - and be proud of how much effort we put into this application. It'll even help with applications and CV's in general now that we have wrote so much about ourselves lol. I so hope however that by the time the US weeks are planned to happen, international flying will be back up and running with testing at the airports... fingers crossed!
Original post by #07
Hi im applying to the programme this year am was wondering how much support you get from Sutton Trust with finding scholarships because I would practically need a full ride if I stand a chance of affording US study.

Message me for a How to Get IntoUS Unis resource
Original post by #07

Suttin Trust give you very extensive support finding scholarships, but they are able to be found on the internet.
Thank you :smile:, i will look for some as well then, in case i dont get in
Reply 28
right so I know I'm late to the party but does ANYONE have any idea why they ask us for which university out of the ones they listed we would prefer? For some reason I got it into my head that it could be because that's how they allocate who might go to which uni for the residential week so I am totally overthinking this and researching for way to long. Anyone know why they ask us that question? Please help! x
Original post by hanne19
right so I know I'm late to the party but does ANYONE have any idea why they ask us for which university out of the ones they listed we would prefer? For some reason I got it into my head that it could be because that's how they allocate who might go to which uni for the residential week so I am totally overthinking this and researching for way to long. Anyone know why they ask us that question? Please help! x

Hey!

So I could be wrong, so please don’t quote me, but I’m just going off of what previous participants have said. US weeks are randomly assigned so the university that you decide to talk about in your video interview won’t determine US weeks. I think it’s just to show your interest in actually studying in the US.

Try not to worry about it too much! I was the same so I do understand... it took me AGES to decide which university to talk about. It got to the point that I had to just narrow it down as much as possible and pick the one that I had the most information on.

I hope this has made you feel slightly less stressed, I’m always here... even if you want to directly message me :smile:
Reply 30
oh my gosh thank you so much

I've literally been stressing so much lmao
I had it narrowed down to Tufts University, Connecticut College and Middlebury, but I have no idea which one lol and the deadline is in like 6 hours!
Tufts I like because it seems the more typical american uni, it has the sports facilities and societies and everything and the campus looks lovely, but I heard rumours about it being not very good standard and I really loved being pushed in school so I'm not sure; I also looked at Middlebury cos it has an amazing program for music and performance (which is what I want to do I think) and is apparantly more good standard, but also that it's really preppy and is in the middle of nowhere lol, SO I DON'T KNOW LMAOOOOO

Spoiler

I hope ur right and this decision doesnt determine which college I go to for the week if I get in lmao, as you can probably guess I am an overthinker lol

Original post by thestudent04
Hey!

So I could be wrong, so please don’t quote me, but I’m just going off of what previous participants have said. US weeks are randomly assigned so the university that you decide to talk about in your video interview won’t determine US weeks. I think it’s just to show your interest in actually studying in the US.

Try not to worry about it too much! I was the same so I do understand... it took me AGES to decide which university to talk about. It got to the point that I had to just narrow it down as much as possible and pick the one that I had the most information on.

I hope this has made you feel slightly less stressed, I’m always here... even if you want to directly message me
Original post by hanne19
oh my gosh thank you so much

I've literally been stressing so much lmao
I had it narrowed down to Tufts University, Connecticut College and Middlebury, but I have no idea which one lol and the deadline is in like 6 hours!
Tufts I like because it seems the more typical american uni, it has the sports facilities and societies and everything and the campus looks lovely, but I heard rumours about it being not very good standard and I really loved being pushed in school so I'm not sure; I also looked at Middlebury cos it has an amazing program for music and performance (which is what I want to do I think) and is apparantly more good standard, but also that it's really preppy and is in the middle of nowhere lol, SO I DON'T KNOW LMAOOOOO

Spoiler

I hope ur right and this decision doesnt determine which college I go to for the week if I get in lmao, as you can probably guess I am an overthinker lol

I’m such an over thinker also so don’t worry, I completely understand hahaha! I actually chose Tufts University because of the extracurricular activities mostly but also because I had found myself writing down the most about that one too. Performance is something that I’m keen on doing also, however I’m sure when I looked up Middlebury College they concentrated more on music, whereas I’d rather do drama along with academic subjects - I could be wrong however so please don’t quote anything that I say... I ain’t no professional hence why I’m applying for this programme to find out more hahahaha.

I also hope that the US weeks will still be able to go ahead! Fingers crossed by then that international flying will resume with mass testing etc.
Reply 32
I’m such an over thinker also so don’t worry, I completely understand hahaha! I actually chose Tufts University because of the extracurricular activities mostly but also because I had found myself writing down the most about that one too. Performance is something that I’m keen on doing also, however I’m sure when I looked up Middlebury College they concentrated more on music, whereas I’d rather do drama along with academic subjects - I could be wrong however so please don’t quote anything that I say... I ain’t no professional hence why I’m applying for this programme to find out more hahahaha.

I also hope that the US weeks will still be able to go ahead! Fingers crossed by then that international flying will resume with mass testing etc.

ah no way! I've ended up going for Tufts as well :smile: figured if I somehow get accepted onto the programme and then get to go on the US week, if they do somehow sort our unis via this, I'd like to have the chance to experience somewhere like Tufts :smile:
And yeah, same I hope they go ahead too! who knows maybe we'll both get in :smile: fingers crossed
Original post by hanne19
ah no way! I've ended up going for Tufts as well :smile: figured if I somehow get accepted onto the programme and then get to go on the US week, if they do somehow sort our unis via this, I'd like to have the chance to experience somewhere like Tufts :smile:
And yeah, same I hope they go ahead too! who knows maybe we'll both get in :smile: fingers crossed

I’m glad you have now made up your mind! That would be amazing if we both got in... make sure to tell if you get in :smile:
Just filmed my video and uploaded it, even though I know nobody will see it (aside from the Sutton people) still by far the most embarrassing thing I've ever done, I couldn't stop cringing at myself, and I have no idea how people on YouTube have managed to do a decent 5 mins. Mine was the biggest shambles ever, trying to cram it in. It wasn't very good but I hope it was good enough. Just doing finishing touches before I submit now.
Just filmed my video and uploaded it, even though I know nobody will see it (aside from the Sutton people) still by far the most embarrassing thing I've ever done, I couldn't stop cringing at myself, and I have no idea how people on YouTube have managed to do a decent 5 mins. Mine was the biggest shambles ever, trying to cram it in. It wasn't very good but I hope it was good enough. Just doing finishing touches before I submit now.

Good luck with the finishing touches! Don’t worry, I couldn’t stop cringing at myself either when watching it back! Mines was soooo embarrassing and it took forever to cut it to 5 minutes, but as you said let’s hope it’s good enough to get in... fingers crossed for us all!
Reply 36
Good luck with the finishing touches! Don’t worry, I couldn’t stop cringing at myself either when watching it back! Mines was soooo embarrassing and it took forever to cut it to 5 minutes, but as you said let’s hope it’s good enough to get in... fingers crossed for us all!

sameeeeeeeeeee mine glitched so it goes silent for like a solid 2 seconds but hopefully it'll still be ok lol
goodluck guys i'm sure yours were amazing, I'll keep my fingers crossed for us all :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by hanne19
sameeeeeeeeeee mine glitched so it goes silent for like a solid 2 seconds but hopefully it'll still be ok lol
goodluck guys i'm sure yours were amazing, I'll keep my fingers crossed for us all :smile:

and also, if anyone gets in, let the rest of us knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :smile::smile: we can do it guys
Reply 38
will do!

I’m glad you have now made up your mind! That would be amazing if we both got in... make sure to tell if you get in :smile:
Manifesting for us all to get in lol.

Question though, the website says all applicants will be informed BY Feb 26th, but does anyone know if this means all decisions are released ON Feb 26th, or you could be accepted or rejected any time between now and the 26th?

I don't even know which one I'd prefer haha. Either way I'm sure we will all get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending