Rosiewhyte
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I’m applying to do film and tv production at uni and so far I’ve looked at York, UCA Farnham and leeds arts, Leeds becket and Hertfordshire. Does anyone know much about the courses here or any other courses to look into?
Thenorthern
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Rosiewhyte)
Hi, I’m applying to do film and tv production at uni and so far I’ve looked at York, UCA Farnham and leeds arts, Leeds becket and Hertfordshire. Does anyone know much about the courses here or any other courses to look into?
Hello!

Make sure to attend as many open days as you can, although some may be online at the moment it will still give you a good idea of the institution and the lecturers you'd meet. Also as a creative student, have a look at whats on for students around the campus too, are their any local film festivals and cinemas etc

Here at The Northern School of Art we do offer a Film degree too if you haven't had a look at us yet!
https://northernart.ac.uk/study-with...-production-2/

Thanks,

Katt, Recruitment Officer
https://northernart.ac.uk/
username5477660
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Best for Film Production AUB Bournemouth , Falmouth Universities,. At UCA Farnham, my sister is there at moment and there is no organisation, they cant use the Library, all online, and cannot get to use the Equipment. Friend is at Falmouth and they are very organsied and they are actually teaching, using equipmment at present.
Last edited by username5477660; 4 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
We’ve had students on the York course post on TSR because they were very disappointed with the lack of practical work involved in the course compared to what is promised. It’s not an accredited course while a number of your other choices ar CILECT members
username5477660
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think all the Creative Universities have been effected by Covid. Uca Farnham defineately has.
username5477660
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Not being able to get into the Universty to do practical work, using equipment, 2nd Year Students especially. Hopefully by April they will reopen fingers crossed.
AveriNova
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
We’ve had students on the York course post on TSR because they were very disappointed with the lack of practical work involved in the course compared to what is promised. It’s not an accredited course while a number of your other choices ar CILECT members
York is screenskills accredited actually
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AveriNova)
York is screenskills accredited actually
screenskills isn't CILECT - the York course is more of a TV production course with a few film theory modules tacked on than a film course. It's a very different experience to what a CILECT member film school would provide.

And we've had a number of TSR members from York and UEA who have posted about how disappointed they've been with the lack of practical film content and tv standard equipment.

It's not a *bad* course but it attracts a lot of very talented students who end up disappointed because it isn't a film school.
AveriNova
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
screenskills isn't CILECT - the York course is more of a TV production course with a few film theory modules tacked on than a film course. It's a very different experience to what a CILECT member film school would provide.

And we've had a number of TSR members from York and UEA who have posted about how disappointed they've been with the lack of practical film content and tv standard equipment.

It's not a *bad* course but it attracts a lot of very talented students who end up disappointed because it isn't a film school.
well damn you've scared me now I have an interview for there tomorrow and its my best choice out of lincoln, solent, hertfordshire and royal holloway.
username5477660
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Arts Bournemouth and UCA Farnham are also CILECT Universities. Solent University - Film have good facilities too. Herefordshire is CILECT University.
Last edited by username5477660; 4 months ago
RustyUK
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hi Rosie

For TV Production you won;t do much better than Solent University, which is a city centre campus in Southampton. I'm studying TV there and it's been great from day one. Obviously Covid has stopped us doing much in studio this year, but everything else has been running and the tutors have been fantastic at keeping us engaged and on track. We're all hoping things will open up by Easter and we can get on with our final year projects.

Solent has some fantastic graduates (we've had the chance to meet some of them via zoom!). One of the Producers of the Repair Shop was from here, and the list of graduates working in both film and TV is really impressive. Definitely have a look at TV production at Solent! It's also accredited by ScreenSkills, and I would suggest you look at their list of accredited courses. Good luck!
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Rosiewhyte

I hope all is going well with your university searching. RustyUK appears to be a great contact for information about the Film & TV course at Solent, but please feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions we may be able to help with. Also make sure to keep yourself up to date with the Twitter feed for the course too as they share lots of great industry news and advice on there.

Best of luck with your research!

Izzy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise