J-Bloor1991
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi. I have recently taken a job offer from the Home Office. Long shot, wondering if anyone has any information on this particular stage. I have completed all my checks, but I am still awaiting a reference check from a previous civil service department. I left this department due to poor working practices in a prison. I handed in my notice after having a heated debate with management. I was able to leave immediately and did not have to work my notice. My question is... is it compulsory that they have to go to my previous department for reference? Am i allowed to just use a reference provided in the private sector (my previous employer) I am concerned it has been quite a while now (over 8 weeks) and this reference check is still pending aka HMPPS has not provided one yet. Any info appreciated!
Justfedup
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they aren't allowed to give you bad reference. Civil Service is slow with checks, email them to chase up.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Justfedup)
they aren't allowed to give you bad reference. Civil Service is slow with checks, email them to chase up.
They are allowed to give a bad reference. As long as it's the truth.
So they could say about any warnings, getting sacked, any other disciplinary action, that you were late often etc etc etc. As long as it's true. And stuff like that they usually have the evidence to prove it.
But they can't say stuff that's subjective. So if they thought you were lazy, but don't have anything to back it up, and that's just their opinion, they wouldn't put it on the reference.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads