Were Romeo and Juliet really in love?

Watch
LoveAmore
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Romeo went from being 'in love' with Rosaline to being 'in love' with Juliet in a very short space of time. His so-called love seemed to be solely based on physical infatuation as he only appears to have complemented Juliet on her physicality as opposed to her inherent characteristics. Juliet herself said 'my ears have not yet drunk a hundred words of that tongue's utterance' yet they claimed to be so enamoured with each other to the point that they actually sacrifice their lives. I guess this ultimately leads to the question, does love at first sight exist?
sunny.side.up
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Have you not read the book?
LoveAmore
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunny.side.up)
Have you not read the book?
I have. Romeo and Juliet are often presented as an archetype of love but upon further analysis of the characters and plot it almost seems as if their relationship was nothing more than lust and infatuation.
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Omgggg don’t ask me this it’s giving me GCSE English flashbacks😂😂tbh back in the day I did argue that his impulsive behaviour seemed more fitting with a naive childish infatuation. Love at first sight no. Infatuation and lust which can be confused for love, especially by young people absolutely.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Always seemed more like juvenile infatuation to me, and I wonder if this was how the Bard intended, for it adds an added dimension of tragedy.
LoveAmore
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Always seemed more like juvenile infatuation to me, and I wonder if this was how the Bard intended, for it adds an added dimension of tragedy.
It does amplify the tragedy I suppose. So from a philosophical standpoint do you think love at first sight ever exists?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LoveAmore)
It does amplify the tragedy I suppose. So from a philosophical standpoint do you think love at first sight ever exists?
Not really, but as sinfonietta will attest, I'm not in any sense a romantic. I'd be wary of generalising what is the case for me to what might be the case for everybody else. Made more complex because 'love' means so many different things to different people, I guess
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (429)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (330)
43.48%

Watched Threads