The Student Room Group

A Level Biology AQA Root Tip Mitosis Practical Write Up Help!

I need to do the write up for this practical but I don't know where to start or what to include for: limitations, control variables, things to improve, evaluation and conclusion. My teacher want a minimum of one page for each of the evaluation and conclusion but I don't think I have enough for that.
I usually started my write ups with a paragraph summarising what the experiment was about, what it was trying to show/investigate and a brief summary of the science behind it, ie what mitosis is, what mitotic index is, and why we hypothesise that the root tip will have high mitotic index.

For evaluation you could mainly discuss two main actors: reliability and accuracy. For example, if you only did one sample, this is less reliable so an improvement would be to calculate the mitotic index of several samples. For another example, your microscope may have low magnification which may lower the accuracy of your results because it's harder to see the details of the chromosomes. Therefore, you could evaluate that an improvement of the method would be to use a microscope with greater magnification. You can also discuss things you did well that increased accuracy and reliability.

Apart from all that, you should also find a piece of literature to reference. I think the best thing would be to try and find a source for what the mitotic index of garlic is and compare that to your results. Evaluate if your result is supported by the literature - and remember to cite your source! If the results aren't similar, you can discuss what issues with your method may have lead to this discrepancy.

This is just from my personal experience. I did well in a-level biology and I passed my practicals so this should probably be okay advice. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest