Shafxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m currently studying A levels and I feel as though flashcards really help me abut my biggest problem is that I can’t make them properly. I always write all the information on them, and it’s just getting to the point where I’m spending hours rewriting all of my notes onto flashcards. It takes ages to write them for Psychology,Biology, and Chemistry-where I'm just writing the information down not actually learning anything. Does anyone know how to effectively write them, so you can revise and learn content at the same time because I just feel like I'm wasting time
izaakfx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm personally not a big fan of flashcards for this reason - try active recall, just read over the content, question yourself on it, and the questions you get wrong just repeat them in for example 30minutes time.
For Psychology I scan read the module in the textbook to remind myself of the content, question myself and repeat concepts and definitions of key words that I'm not confident with.
In the time you make flashcards for a whole topic, you couldve already done hours of testing yourself.
commiesystem
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you feel like you're wasting your time creating flashcards, you can find online flashcard websites like Quizlet, that have loads of premade flashcards on pretty much any topic and you can just start learning those. It really cuts down the time of making the flashcards, especially if you don't know how to make them properly.

I hope this helps!
Shafxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by izaakfx)
I'm personally not a big fan of flashcards for this reason - try active recall, just read over the content, question yourself on it, and the questions you get wrong just repeat them in for example 30minutes time.
For Psychology I scan read the module in the textbook to remind myself of the content, question myself and repeat concepts and definitions of key words that I'm not confident with.
In the time you make flashcards for a whole topic, you couldve already done hours of testing yourself.
Yeah I feel as thought they'd be more effective for recall rather than just writing the information down from random questions I might try to first summarise everything onto mindmaps and see if that helps thanks for the advice
Shafxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by commiesystem)
If you feel like you're wasting your time creating flashcards, you can find online flashcard websites like Quizlet, that have loads of premade flashcards on pretty much any topic and you can just start learning those. It really cuts down the time of making the flashcards, especially if you don't know how to make them properly.

I hope this helps!
I might make them on anki and see if that helps by copying them over from Quizlet but my old psychology teacher told us never to use quizlet for psychology as a lot of people have different ways of learning and their flashcards might be incomplete which is why I'm a bit hesitant to use premade ones
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (90)
64.75%
I don't have everything I need (49)
35.25%

Watched Threads