success4life
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So I’ve applied to my 5 courses at different universities.
How do I insure and firm them. Any tips as to how to choice??
username4406810
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by success4life)
So I’ve applied to my 5 courses at different universities.
How do I insure and firm them. Any tips as to how to choice??
If you're in Year 13 now I assume that you haven't been able to go to any in person open days. Which makes the process of selecting a uni a bit more difficult because a key part of the process is being able to feel whether a city/town is right for you.

I am going through a similar process to you right now and I would consider:
-Do you prefer city vs campus unis?
-Are there any optional modules in a course that one of ur unis offers but another does not?
-Would u prefer to go to the uni's that are further away or closer to home?
-What are the recreational activities at each uni like? If a nightlife is important to you then you may want to look into this more.
-What are the career prospects of gradates and what is the unis career service like?
-What is the cost of living in each uni eg. London more expensive.
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Keir Starmer)
If you're in Year 13 now I assume that you haven't been able to go to any in person open days. Which makes the process of selecting a uni a bit more difficult because a key part of the process is being able to feel whether a city/town is right for you.

I am going through a similar process to you right now and I would consider:
-Do you prefer city vs campus unis?
-Are there any optional modules in a course that one of ur unis offers but another does not?
-Would u prefer to go to the uni's that are further away or closer to home?
-What are the recreational activities at each uni like? If a nightlife is important to you then you may want to look into this more.
-What are the career prospects of gradates and what is the unis career service like?
-What is the cost of living in each uni eg. London more expensive.
Hi thanks for that.
But I’ve taken these into consideration when picking my 5 choices and applying to ucas.
I’m talking about how to short list them into 2.
Insurance and my firm choice.
I’ve got 5 choices and I need to end up with 2.
So far I’ve decided I’m doing foundation years and all 5 universities are split into EE or DDD
So I’m going to pick one of the lower grade EE for my firm and one DDD for my insurance so I have a split chance. But I don’t know how to pick from the 5 which one I want to go to do I can firm and put it down as insurance.
Any tips.
I appreciate how long it must have taken you to write that and thank you!!!
Ar-Pharazôn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi thanks for that.
But I’ve taken these into consideration when picking my 5 choices and applying to ucas.
So far I’ve decided I’m doing foundation years and all 5 universities are split into EE or DDD
So I’m going to pick one of the lower grade EE for my firm and one DDD for my insurance so I have a split chance. But I don’t know how to pick from the 5 which one I want to go to do I can firm and put it down as insurance.
Any tips.
I'd say that the advice Keir's given still very much factors into choosing your insurance universities.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You need to wait until all five have made decisions on your applications. You may not get five offers which will help you shortlist

Ordinarily you would go to offer holder open days and suchlike to help you choose. I imagine that type of activity will be virtual for the foreseeable future.
username4406810
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi thanks for that.
Any tips.
I'd say my advice still applies when narrowing down to your firm and insurance. Do able to share the unis you have applied for so i could give you my insight into each of them?
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ar-Pharazôn)
I'd say that the advice Keir's given still very much factors into choosing your insurance universities.
Thank you
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Keir Starmer)
I'd say my advice still applies when narrowing down to your firm and insurance. Do able to share the unis you have applied for so i could give you my insight into each of them?
Wolverhampton university, Worcester university. I need to pick 1 from these 2 to firm. (Which is better?)

Then, Staffordshire uni, university of west England (Bristol), Brighton university. I need to pick one of them as insurance as these are the grade higher
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
You need to wait until all five have made decisions on your applications. You may not get five offers which will help you shortlist

Ordinarily you would go to offer holder open days and suchlike to help you choose. I imagine that type of activity will be virtual for the foreseeable future.
Alright. All 5 have accepted me. I’ve been to all of the open days but I need to pick 2. It’s so hard
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Alright. All 5 have accepted me. I’ve been to all of the open days but I need to pick 2. It’s so hard
In that case Keir’s advice is all solid. There’s no rush, you have months to decide and there’s no benefit to picking early. Wait and see what offer holder events they run.
success4life
Rep:
?
In that case Keir’s advice is all solid. There’s no rush, you have months to decide and there’s no benefit to picking early. Wait and see what offer holder events they run.
And for when they do-how do I know what to pick? That’s the purpose of this post.
username5453486
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi thanks for that.
Any tips.
Hey i think youve made the wrong choices for your firm and insurance. Insurance is going to be your back up so it should be the one with lower grades so that youre secure! If you get into your firm, your insurance will automatically get withdrawn by ucas. If you end up getting below EE (your firm) then you cant really use your insurance (due to it requiring higher grades) -it defeats the whole point. So think wisely. I wish you the best of luck!
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nono2003)
Hey i think youve made the wrong choices for your firm and insurance. Insurance is going to be your back up so it should be the one with lower grades so that youre secure! If you get into your firm, your insurance will automatically get withdrawn by ucas. If you end up getting below EE (your firm) then you cant really use your insurance (due to it requiring higher grades) -it defeats the whole point. So think wisely. I wish you the best of luck!
I haven’t made any choices. I’m just explaining what I think I’m going to do. I’d rather use my firm as the lower grades to guarentee I get a place. I came up with this little way of doing it an hour or so ago so it’s probably not the best. Thank you for the advice I’ll consider it
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I haven’t made any choices. I’m just explaining what I think I’m going to do. I’d rather use my firm as the lower grades to guarentee I get a place.
Your Firm should be the place that you most want to go to. You’re always guaranteed a place if you meet either your of your firm or insurance offers, but your firm has the first option to accept you regardless.

I would recommend that you speak to a member of staff at your college who is familiar with how the Firm and Insurance options are used at UCAS.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
And for when they do-how do I know what to pick? That’s the purpose of this post.
None of us can tell you which to pick.

You need to find out as much as you can about each course and university and decide which is the best match for your interests and preferences. Imagine yourself on each course or living in each place for years. What matters is finding the place where you will be happy and motivated to study your course so that you can thrive academically and personally.

University study is so self motivated it’s important to find the course and place that gets you excited about your course and happy with your life so you can take advantage of all the opportunities available outside your course.

You have quite a mix of campus universities that are isolated or near small towns, campuses near big towns/cities and universities that are spread among a city/town so that might be a place to start thinking. Do you want to live just with other students or do you like living around a range of people. Do you like living in a town/city or in the countryside? What do you think are the differences between the course content for the courses and how does that match your academic interests and preferences?
Last edited by PQ; 10 months ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The really important thing to remember is that ucas gives you until May to decide this for a reason.

Use that time and don’t rush to make your decision on Track. Even if you are sure then you should wait until April at the earliest to make sure you don’t change your mind in the next 5 months.
success4life
Rep:
?
Your Firm should be the place that you most want to go to. You’re always guaranteed a place if you meet either your of your firm or insurance offers, but your firm has the first option to accept you regardless.

I would recommend that you speak to a member of staff at your college who is familiar with how the Firm and Insurance options are used at UCAS.
Definitely understand this now. Thank you!!
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
None of us can tell you which to pick.

You need to find out as much as you can about each course and university and decide which is the best match for your interests and preferences. Imagine yourself on each course or living in each place for years. What matters is finding the place where you will be happy and motivated to study your course so that you can thrive academically and personally.

University study is so self motivated it’s important to find the course and place that gets you excited about your course and happy with your life so you can take advantage of all the opportunities available outside your course.

You have quite a mix of campus universities that are isolated or near small towns, campuses near big towns/cities and universities that are spread among a city/town so that might be a place to start thinking. Do you want to live just with other students or do you like living around a range of people. Do you like living in a town/city or in the countryside? What do you think are the differences between the course content for the courses and how does that match your academic interests and preferences?
Got it. Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads