Questions to ask at potential GTP employers Watch

This discussion is closed.
George O'Neill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hello everyone, I have been contacting various schools asking questions about possible GTP
placements. They have all been very generous and all have asked me to go along for informal chats.
Having read some very scary comments on nightmare GTP placements and being very aware of my own
"innocence" in this area, I have prepared a list of questions which I intend to put to all
prospective employers. These are:

1. Do you currently have GTP placements ?
2. How much teaching do they actually do ?
3. Are the GTP students supervised during teaching ?
4. Do they receive feedback on a scheduled basis ?
5. Do your GTP students have formal training classes ?

The answers to the above should make it clear if GTP is being used as a cheap source of teachers. If
I am lied to I am in trouble.

Can anyone suggest any other questions I should ask ?

All comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers.

George
Amadis
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
George O'Neill wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The answers to the above should make it clear if GTP is being used as a cheap source of teachers.[/q1]
[q1]> If I am lied to I am in trouble.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
I 'phoned a school last week to find out what happened to my application for an ICT job. The
head of ICT said that they had decided not to employ a teacher but were taking on a Graduate
Trainee instead.
Martin Nicholso
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] om>, amadis <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>George O'Neill wrote:[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> The answers to the above should make it clear if GTP is being used as a cheap source of teachers.[/q2]
[q2]>> If I am lied to I am in trouble.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>I 'phoned a school last week to find out what happened to my application for an ICT job. The[/q1]
[q1]>head of ICT said that they had decided not to employ a teacher but were taking on a Graduate[/q1]
[q1]>Trainee instead.[/q1]

I can imagine circumstances where a graduate trainee would be far better than any newly qualified
"proper teacher".

I can also imagine circumstances where it would be a disaster for all concerned.

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, UK

International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Centre - Observatory Code 456
http://www.gcse-ict.info/astronomy/front.htm
Martin Nicholso
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]>> I can imagine circumstances where a graduate trainee would be far better than any newly qualified[/q2]
[q2]>> "proper teacher".[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> I can also imagine circumstances where it would be a disaster for all concerned.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>That's often true of any choice between people for a job. The question is whether it is being used[/q1]
[q1]>for budgetary purposes.[/q1]

Many, non-optimal, appointments are made on budgetary grounds.

Why does this surprise you? It is called "real life"!

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, UK

International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Centre - Observatory Code 456
http://www.gcse-ict.info/astronomy/front.htm
George O'Neill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
amadis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] net.com>...
[q1]> George O'Neill wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > The answers to the above should make it clear if GTP is being used as a cheap source of[/q2]
[q2]> > teachers. If I am lied to I am in trouble.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> I 'phoned a school last week to find out what happened to my application for an ICT job. The head[/q1]
[q1]> of ICT said that they had decided not to employ a teacher but were taking on a Graduate Trainee[/q1]
[q1]> instead.[/q1]

See this is exactly the scary stuff I was talking about. The graduate they are taking on will
probably be expected to do a full teaching timetable. Ideally they should be taking on a graduate
AND a teacher. Assuming there is a need for a teacher at this school, taking on a graduate Trainee
will not fill that need. The need will still be there. I have read a lot recently about schools
seriously talking about reducing teaching staff due to budgetary constraints. Maybe this is the only
affordable way the school can get a body in front of a class. The poor graduate trainee and the
pupils get the raw end of the deal but the accountants will be happy.

A sad situation.

George
Amadis
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Martin Nicholson wrote:

[q1]> In article <[email protected] om>, amadis <[email protected]> writes[/q1]
[q2]>>George O'Neill wrote:[/q2]
[q3]>>>[/q3]
[q3]>>> The answers to the above should make it clear if GTP is being used as a cheap source of[/q3]
[q3]>>> teachers. If I am lied to I am in trouble.[/q3]
[q3]>>>[/q3]
[q2]>>I 'phoned a school last week to find out what happened to my application for an ICT job. The head[/q2]
[q2]>>of ICT said that they had decided not to employ a teacher but were taking on a Graduate Trainee[/q2]
[q2]>>instead.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I can imagine circumstances where a graduate trainee would be far better than any newly qualified[/q1]
[q1]> "proper teacher".[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I can also imagine circumstances where it would be a disaster for all concerned.[/q1]

That's often true of any choice between people for a job. The question is whether it is being used
for budgetary purposes.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise