*GCSE Help* for History as a private candidate.

Watch this thread
AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,
I hope you are doing well.

I am planning to sit GCSE History exam this year as a private student. I haven’t ever learnt GCSE History till date, but I am planning to self-learn it myself and sit an exam this year. I think I can study the 2 year course in one year since I only have 3 other subjects to study for.

Hence, I just wanted your advice, can you please help me and give me your advice and tips for learning GCSE History please?
It would be great if you can tell me any websites, YouTube channels, films and documentaries, any particular Textbooks, any Revision Guides and Workbooks, Websites, Revision Techniques, etc. that you have found useful when you were learning and revising for History.

Do you think making notes from any textbooks/ revision guides, videos or websites is required for a good grade, or will other resources like revision guides and textbooks be enough?

By the way, I do the Edexcel 9-1 GCSE course and the following options:
1) Medicine in Britain & the British Sector of the Western Front
2) Early Elizabethan England & Superpower Relations and the Cold War
3) Weimar & Nazi Germany

BUT, feel free to tell me your advice and tips REGARDLESS of the options or exam board you studied for!

Looking forward to hearing your advice and many thanks for your help
Last edited by AchyutChaudhary; 1 year ago
amanda_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I did AQA and but I did some of the same topics u did and got a 9 at gcse. Here’s some of the resources I used hopefully you’ll find them helpful
- For Weimar and Nazi Germany there’s a really good documentary on Netflix called Hitlers Circle of Evil which is really useful and could help you go over your knowledge.
Also there’s this YouTube channel called ‘I’m stuck - A level and gcse revision’ where you can find loads of Cold War videos. Also there’s this really informative 24 part CNN series on YouTube on the Cold War
- I mean you probably use this already, but Seneca is also a really good website for revision
- Additionally, the Hodders gcse revision guides are really good, especially for medicine, because they’ve got a lot of exemplar answers and activities that test your knowledge. They’ve also got quizzes for every topic.
Advice/Tips
- Well what I liked to do while I was doing my gcse was make mindmaps/ notes for each different topic (e.g. The position of women in Nazi germany) and then make flash cards out of my notes and repeatedly test myself. I’d also look at exemplar answers and mark schemes and try to plan as many essay questions as I could.
I hope this was helpful for u, if u need any links or advice or anything feel free to DM me :-)
Kelsey<3
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
hiii

fellow private candidate here,

i would recommend buying the pearsons textbooks to make sure that you have ALL the information you need

along with that i found some lesson power points that helped me form my notes (link : http://www.stchistory.com/gcse.html )

youtube will also be your saviour aha here's some channels i found really informative
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsl...GhddP_H9-8Abkw
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYB...YSVg/playlists

hope this helps x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (112)
68.29%
No (34)
20.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
10.98%

Watched Threads