Norethisterone [end of course] : in agony! Watch

fredscarecrow
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I finished my course of norethisterone [to delay period] on Saturday and have finally come on and OMG, I have never been in so much pain. My periods are bad normally, but i've been up since 4 this morning, trying to do anything which might lesson the agony. I'm wrapped up, with extra blankets round my lower back, taken painkillers, tried distracting myself etc etc, but nothing is working.
I'm going to have to cancel my driving lesson; there's no way I can concentrate in this state...but I'm moving into uni tomorrow and I desperatley need to pack today! My boyfriend is coming round later to help, but at this rate, all I'm going to be able to do is move around constantly and cry because of the pain. I can't stop shaking.
Does anyone have any other ways of lessening the pain? Do particular drinks help etc etc? Please, I'm deperate. I can safely say I am never EVER going on this drug again, and if I could have known about this pain in advance, I'd not have taken it.

*DIES*:woo:
dani_88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Arwww :hugs:

Sorry to hear that. All i can think of is some strong pain killers and a hot water bottle... Sorry i'm not much help!

If you suffer with painful periods normally, going on the pill can sometimes help? :o:

Hope you feel better soon
tasGooner
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can you go to a local pharmacy? Go and have a chat with a pharmacist and ask about Feminax Ultra which I believe contains Naproxen which may be very effective in your case.
fredscarecrow
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thankyou! I'll look into it =]
Cassie89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^ Yeah feminx is really really good in these situations, contains something that stops the uterus contractions (which is why you're in so much pain)
Amykins
Report 10 years ago
I know the feeling.
For me nothing helps, I just have to write the first 5 days off my period (even if I haven't skipped a period, when I have it's a lot worse).
Just have as many hot water bottles as possible surrounding you (back and front) as hot as you can bear them and take the strongest painkillers you can get.
xPipkinx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i always found that ibuprofen works very well. take it as soon as you wake up, i took 2 even though there quite strong, this might be why it worked so well...drugged myself up haha!
anyways do this and keep a pack with you throughout the day. you can take them every 4 hours i think but just take another two whenever you feel the pain again (aslong as its after the 4 hours!)
paracetimol is nothing compared to the help this gives so try it and i hope you feel better soon =] x
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
omg i feel for you...i had the exact same problem when i took that aswell, except i never got period pains before that so they were new too me..!!!

just ride it out..is all i can say, i was fine after sleeping. Have a warm bath, and TRY too relax..its going to be hard as it's like agony, but try...theres a reason why water births exist too help contractions during birth after all, seriously..have a nice warm bath
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oo alternatively, try taking ibuprofen AND paracetamol together
KelZee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aww I feel for you, I really do My period pains used to be agony when I was younger and that was without having taken anything to delay it

Take 2 Ibuprofen tablets every 4 hours (be sure not to take more than 6 in one 24 hour period) and then have a long soak in the bath? That normally helps for me. Otherwise, try hot water bottles as others have suggested

Hope you feel better soon.
Itchybrain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The cause of period pain is not certain. Once an egg has been released from one of the ovaries, natural chemicals produced by the body called prostaglandins are made in the lining of the uterus (womb). Some prostaglandins cause the walls of the uterus to contract. Some women produce higher levels of prostaglandins, which may cause increased contractions of the uterus. These cramps may be more painful because there is reduced blood (and therefore oxygen) supply to the myometrium (muscle wall of the uterus) during the contractions.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/h...enorrhoea.html

I can't explain why - perhaps this acts as a distractor to the pain, but soak your feet in very hot water. As hot as you can bear.

In terms of food you should eat to ease the cramps- bananas (potassium), A good calcium (approx 800mg) & Magnesium (approx 200mg) supplement.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...il.asp?pid=164 £4.99

These tablets are quite big, but if you take them with banana the texture of the chewed banana will help you to swallow it.

Grate fresh ginger into a mug and pour hot water over it, then drink. This is an excellent anti-inflammatory (the prostaglandins that are thought to cause period pain are inflammatory agents.

If you find you are losing a lot of blood I recommend you buy Floradix to replenish your body's iron reserves.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...il.asp?pid=513
£7.99

Keep a bottle of that in the fridge and supplement your diet around your period. It will last for a few months.

Stay away from dairy products - although they contain good amounts of calcium there is evidence to suggest that the arachidonic acid found in milk, cheese etc can produce the type of prostaglandins (hormone-like substance) that cause menstrual cramping.

Good luck!
Emma27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
oo alternatively, try taking ibuprofen AND paracetamol together
Isn't it dangerous to mix tablets?!
Emma27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, and my advice is to have a bath...warm and cosy Just keep thinking...only so many hours before it should stop. That's what I do anyway.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Emma27)
Isn't it dangerous to mix tablets?!

er paracetamol and ibuprofen are ok
The Strangest Quark
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A combination of ibuprofen and co-codamol usually makes at least something of a dent in the pain. Feminax is basically co-codamol with some other stuff and a bit of caffeine, it's a bit expensive compared to generic painkillers, but quite good as far as I remember. Hot water bottle is also good as is a hot bath. And hot drinks, though that's probably just a comfort thing.

I actually just came of Norethisterone this weekend as well and found it less bad than some of my normal periods, so it seems a bit variable how bad it is. You have my sympathy in any case! :hugs:
JocastaJackal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aww no, feel better. I can honestly just say pain killers are the only thing I can think of, hope you're better in time for uni~~
kmcassley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
feminax ultra wont work for you, im in the same situation and i does nothing. co-codamol works best, the melting kind
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kmcassley)
feminax ultra wont work for you, im in the same situation and i does nothing. co-codamol works best, the melting kind
How do you know how her body is going to react? Naproxen might do wonders for her yet the codeine in co-codamol might not do anything for her. Everyone is different.

OP - hope you're feeling better now! Did you go and have a chat with a pharmacist?
kmcassley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Emmz-)
How do you know how her body is going to react? Naproxen might do wonders for her yet the codeine in co-codamol might not do anything for her. Everyone is different.

OP - hope you're feeling better now! Did you go and have a chat with a pharmacist?
codeine works for everyone, whereas naproxen doesnt, but yeah everyone is different. i usually just curl up in a ball in my bed with a hot water bottle and 2 co-codamol, but sometimes its not enough.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kmcassley)
codeine works for everyone, whereas naproxen doesnt, but yeah everyone is different. i usually just curl up in a ball in my bed with a hot water bottle and 2 co-codamol, but sometimes its not enough.
Codeine does not work for everyone. Some people can't convert it to its active metabolite (morphine) and so it doesn't really do a lot for their pain relief! Pain control is individual but it's good you've found something that works for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (66)
17.74%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (235)
63.17%
Not yet but I am planning to (19)
5.11%
Not yet but I might (52)
13.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise