17hcooper
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hiiiiiii

We have to teach ourselves what endosymbiotic theory is, and after research on google, I still don't understand. Here is the task:

"describe what the endosymbiotic theory is, and explain how mitochondria and chloroplasts provide evidence for it."

Can anyone explain this to me ?? Thanks in advance : ))
Last edited by 17hcooper; 8 months ago
alice17bex
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Okay, endosymbiotic theory is the theory that all eukaryotic cells evolved from prokaryotic cells. Billions of years ago, there were big prokaryotes, and prokaryotes that could respire, and prokaryotes that could make energy from the sun. The bigger prokaryotes absorbed the energy-producing cells and they could provide protection whilst the energy-producing cells provided energy for the larger prokaryote, it was a symbiotic relationship. The respiring cells evolved to be mitochondria and the photosynthesising cells evolved to be chloroplasts.

Both mitochondria and chloroplasts provide evidence for this because they are similar sizes to prokaryotic cells, they have their own DNA and they have their own Ribosomes.

Sorry if this is explained badly- this is the video we used in class. I hope this helps- Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGnS-Xk0ZqU
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 17hcooper)
Hiiiiiii

We have to teach ourselves what endosymbiotic theory is, and after research on google, I still don't understand. Here is the task:

"describe what the endosymbiotic theory is, and explain how mitochondria and chloroplasts provide evidence for it."

Can anyone explain this to me ?? Thanks in advance : ))
alice17bex has explained it well. This is also a simple summary, with a mnemonic for the evidence - Mad Dr https://ib.bioninja.com.au/standard-...symbiosis.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (52)
22.51%
Excited but a bit nervous (104)
45.02%
Not bothered either way (32)
13.85%
I'm really nervous (43)
18.61%

Watched Threads