Imperial College Materials Science Interview

Watch
emily.charl0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey all,
I received a couple of days ago an interview invite for materials at imperial. It says I have a 30 minute chat as well as a 45 minute engineering group task that will be considered highly. Has anyone done a task like this before, and if so, what did it entail and how would you suggest to prepare for it?
Thank you!
lentil123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Good luck for the interview. I've applied to Imperial for this course but haven't heard back yet, and would love to hear any advice you have afterwards. I have an offer for Materials Engineering at Loughborough after a pretty intense interview, and I'd say (as well as the usual, make sure you know why the course, why the uni, why you, personal statement check etc etc) make sure you do a bit of reading on basic materials topics (identification, properties etc), just because we may study physics/ chem/ maths, but materials does have it's own content.

Edit: officially got an interview now!! I think I'm part of the second wave of materials interviews, Wednesday 2nd December
Last edited by lentil123; 5 months ago
mk_poii
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Same here. Got my interview next Wednesday (first wave I think) and have the exact same questions in mind.
mentalistwho?
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey,
I have an interview in 2 weeks, do you have any tips on how to prepare? I've not found any information online and it's super frustrating.
emily.charl0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by mentalistwho?)
hey,
I have an interview in 2 weeks, do you have any tips on how to prepare? I've not found any information online and it's super frustrating.
I don’t think I’m allowed to say too much, but don’t stress! My questions were very conversational rather than problem solving!
Jordan Mbonu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by emily.charl0)
Hey all,
I received a couple of days ago an interview invite for materials at imperial. It says I have a 30 minute chat as well as a 45 minute engineering group task that will be considered highly. Has anyone done a task like this before, and if so, what did it entail and how would you suggest to prepare for it?
Thank you!
What was the group task like and what questions did they ask? I've got my interview next week
emily.charl0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jordan Mbonu)
What was the group task like and what questions did they ask? I've got my interview next week
I got given information about it at the start of the week, we just had to discuss what we thought the 'ultimate' material was!
Jordan Mbonu
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I got given information about it at the start of the week, we just had to discuss what we thought the 'ultimate' material was!
Can you please tell me what kind of questions they asked you in the 1 on 1 interview?
emily.charl0
Rep:
?
Can you please tell me what kind of questions they asked you in the 1 on 1 interview?
I was just asked questions about my personal statement - firstly talking through what I had put down on it and then less specific questions - I wrote about cellulose so we spoke through potential applications of it such as making biodegradable materials, biomaterials for limbs etc
Jordan Mbonu
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was just asked questions about my personal statement - firstly talking through what I had put down on it and then less specific questions - I wrote about cellulose so we spoke through potential applications of it such as making biodegradable materials, biomaterials for limbs etc
Thank you so much for your help i appreciate it
emily.charl0
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your help i appreciate it
No worries!
Humpz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello. Does anyone know someone who does material science and engineering at imperial? I am looking for someone who can do a mock interview in order to prepare for my actual interview. Please and thank you.
dugdale456
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am freaking out I have no idea what to say as my material/ stupid question but what defines a material? What was the group task like did everyone just present thier favourite material? Thanks for your help
emily.charl0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by dugdale456)
I am freaking out I have no idea what to say as my material/ stupid question but what defines a material? What was the group task like did everyone just present thier favourite material? Thanks for your help
When it said a material, I went for rubber personally (though there are obviously different types of rubber!). You can't go too far wrong... people in my group went for aerogel, graphene (both much more specific than rubber) and the final person went for composites... the general consensus on that one being that is was a CLASS of material, like elastomers (which rubber is a part of). Personally, I would go for something which there are different types of but not too generic (like elastomers/composites) and not too specific either - the person who chose graphene found it hard top argue for as there weren't enough uses for it - he said you could easily roll it up but then that'd be carbon nanotubes instead which is a different material and layers of it would form graphite - also a different material. I was given the information leaflet the Monday for Wednesday, it said choose you 'ultimate' material, be ready with a 2 minute speech and other information/articles about it. I then found out in the group task that after everyone had done their speech, we had to debate what the overall ultimate material was, ask each other questions and just generally discuss. We eventually went for composites... not strictly a material as previously said but as it was so broad there were essentially too many uses for it, you can enhance anything by making it a composite material! Don't worry, it is very chill, I got an offer a couple weeks after this so they are more interested in your discussion than anything - not necessarily having chosen the "ultimate" material as decided by your group!
dugdale456
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When it said a material, I went for rubber personally (though there are obviously different types of rubber!). You can't go too far wrong... people in my group went for aerogel, graphene (both much more specific than rubber) and the final person went for composites... the general consensus on that one being that is was a CLASS of material, like elastomers (which rubber is a part of). Personally, I would go for something which there are different types of but not too generic (like elastomers/composites) and not too specific either - the person who chose graphene found it hard top argue for as there weren't enough uses for it - he said you could easily roll it up but then that'd be carbon nanotubes instead which is a different material and layers of it would form graphite - also a different material. I was given the information leaflet the Monday for Wednesday, it said choose you 'ultimate' material, be ready with a 2 minute speech and other information/articles about it. I then found out in the group task that after everyone had done their speech, we had to debate what the overall ultimate material was, ask each other questions and just generally discuss. We eventually went for composites... not strictly a material as previously said but as it was so broad there were essentially too many uses for it, you can enhance anything by making it a composite material! Don't worry, it is very chill, I got an offer a couple weeks after this so they are more interested in your discussion than anything - not necessarily having chosen the "ultimate" material as decided by your group!
Ok that makes sense, forexmaple I am thinking of going for quite a specific material because of its specific use that I think is very important, do you think I am limiting myself or my arguments by doing that? Do you know how many people were there on your interview day?

Also I feel as though I am a complete novice, could you explain what composites are for me? Thank you?
emily.charl0
Rep:
?
(Original post by dugdale456)
Ok that makes sense, forexmaple I am thinking of going for quite a specific material because of its specific use that I think is very important, do you think I am limiting myself or my arguments by doing that? Do you know how many people were there on your interview day?

Also I feel as though I am a complete novice, could you explain what composites are for me? Thank you?
A composite is merely a material that is comprised of more than one material - for example concrete, which is made of cement, water and some kind of gravel. There were between 50 and 100 people I'd say (but don't quote me on that!), but the group task was only 4 of us! I know people that chose a variety of materials, so as long as there is no obvious flaw as to why yours isn't necessarily as useful, you ought be fine - I'm pretty sure they were more interested in your discussion and the way you work with others more than anything else!
dugdale456
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A composite is merely a material that is comprised of more than one material - for example concrete, which is made of cement, water and some kind of gravel. There were between 50 and 100 people I'd say (but don't quote me on that!), but the group task was only 4 of us! I know people that chose a variety of materials, so as long as there is no obvious flaw as to why yours isn't necessarily as useful, you ought be fine - I'm pretty sure they were more interested in your discussion and the way you work with others more than anything else!
Great thank you, how soon after the interview do you hear?
emily.charl0
Rep:
?
It was 15 days (I counted!) - people did ask on the interview day, and they said before Christmas (I got mine 10th December), though it may differ if they've got more applications to process!
135neku
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anyone here got the offer like 1 week ago? Wish to know some people with same course before going to the uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (124)
4.95%
Uncertainty around my education (369)
14.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (274)
10.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (353)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (115)
4.59%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (151)
6.03%
Loneliness (215)
8.58%
Financial worries (94)
3.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.23%
Exposure to negative news/social media (119)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (133)
5.31%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (218)
8.7%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (235)
9.38%

Watched Threads