The Student Room Group

National 5 Prelims

Hi all.

Could anyone give me a load of ways to study good and where to find resources/apps etc that can help me revise for prelims?

They begin 30th November and I am doing prelims for:

Business Management
English
French
Modern Studies
Biology
Music

Any support/suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
For Music use this website it has audio quizzes, remember to revise N3-N5 concepts as they all can come up.
For the final question in the listening paper which is 5 marks just make sure you include these 5 and you are almost guaranteed full marks (obviously write down more than 5 just incase)
- major/minor
- time signature (probably 4/4 or 3/4, double check incase it is compound time- 6/8- but that is highly unlikely )
- what the tempo is (adagio/andante/allegro - if it isn't obvious go for andante or moderato)
- sequence (just trust me on this there is a 95% chance it will be there- I don't think there was a past paper where there wasn't one)
- name any instrument or dynamic (be careful to not use plural if it is a solo instrument)

I''ll reply with tips for the other subjects I've done.
Can't really give you much help with performing haha, just try and be confident, I know it's hard. Also for the listening paper it is 80% multiple choice so you can usually rule out a lot of the concepts really easily.
Biology:
I'd recommend that if you think you know the content then do as many past papers as possible to get used to the style of question. You can find them here , and the specimen paper is on the actual N5 biology page on the SQA website. I recommend BBC bitesize quizzes as a quick overview to see what topics you know and what ones to focus on when revising.
Ways to revise:
If you already have flashcards made, use them. However you can find digital ones on places like quizlet if you haven't as it can take a while to make them.
Another thing I think is really useful is to put the name of a subtopic (eg, Cell structure) and give yourself 10 mins or however long to write everything you know about that topic from memory, then use the course specification to fill in any gaps that you have missed (preferably in different colour) this is useful to getting you to actually think rather than just passively reading. And the course spec is an extremely useful tool, especially for Biology with seeing exactly what you need, you could honestly just revise from that, but please when using the spec scroll about halfway down (page 25 for N5 bio) the document that also tells you the depth of knowledge you need for each topic as that gives you exact wording and helps you to get As.
French:
Honestly past papers are the way to go here, if you can try and own your own french dictionary just to get used to it. For the job application learn it off by heart, you have like 3 weeks until your prelim so make sure you know the first 4 bullet points perfectly. This is a rough guide on how I learned my (spanish) job app in like 2 weeks:
Spent 2 days on each bullet point just learning it, this is what I would do when learning (only took about 30 mins a day) :
- Write it out twice by just copying it
- Try and write it from memory, correct all mistakes
- Say out loud like 5 times, pronunciation doesn't matter just say it how it looks. Try and do this from memory
- Take a break for like 10 mins then try and write out the paragraph from memory, again just correct any mistakes.
- Repeat the next day.
I did that for each bullet point, but I would also write out the previous bullet points once when trying to learn new ones (eg, when learning bullet point 3, before learning it that evening I would write out 1 &2 correcting mistakes so i didn't forget it)
Once you have done all the known bullet points (so should take you 8 days) practice just doing the first 4 from memory. If you write that perfectly then you have already got 12/20. For the unpredictables I just wrote them on post it notes and put them on my wall, I'd read them over while brushing my teeth. But don't worry about them too much, if you just write a basic sentence for them both you'll probably get 16/20. I got really lucky in my prelim that when I was looking up a verb or something for my unpredictable they had an example sentence it using it and it fitted the bullet point so I just used that, so that got me a 20 lmao.
Just hammer all the past papers, especially the listening which is objectively the hardest part.
English (this is the last one I have tips for, I really hope these have been helpful) :
RUAE:
On twitter if you look up #N5HRUAE schools post articles which will help you to get used to the style of articles. I'd recommend reading one of them a day, it will literally only take you 5 mins.
The easiest way to gain marks in RUAE is to use word choice, so do it as often as possible. Remember to quote everything as you get a point just for quoting (you don't get that in higher!). I'd recommend that for as many questions as possible not just to count on gaining a point for your explanation so if it is 2 marks, do 2 quotes and 2 comments. But don't worry if you can't think of anything else.
Do all the past papers on the SQA website to get you used to answering the questions.
SECTION 2:
For textual analysis and essay when doing papers do them together so you get used to writing quickly. Ideally you want to make up time in the TA for your essay. BBC bitesize have indepth analysis of all the scottish texts which is really useful if you are lacking analysis of some of your quotes. To learn quotes I put post it notes on my wall, try and pick quotes that you have analysis for and can use for a lot of different uses (eg from all my sons I used a quote where someone says something like "Not everyone is a jesus" so it's really easy to write loads about that) . For TA just answer the questions the exact same way as RUAE. Remember for 8 mark questions Commonality , Primary text (you can use same quotes as earlier questions) 2 quotes and comments or 1 quote and a really good comment, Secondary text, I'd say use at least 4 quotes and comments but if you are good on time try and use 6 quotes.
For your essay make general essay plans (eg, character, theme, opening/closing scene ) Make sure you finish your essay as you can't pass it if you don't write a conclusion. You could even bullet point your final paragraph and write a conclusion if you are extremely short on time. Honestly try not to worry too much about English as at N5 I only every passed an essay once and still got an A, for some reason though I got 15/20 on every single essay in higher which is so confusing.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR PRELIMS YOU'VE GOT IT! And even if it doesn't go amazing, I'm sure your school will be doing lots of tests since N5s have been cancelled.
On a general note, try not to stress yourself too much, I know it's difficult. Try and do a little revision set aside say 1 hour each night, as if you do 1 hour of studying you will probably go on for longer. Keep your phone out of site if you aren't using it.
Take study breaks, I'd say go on a walk/run but maybe not in this weather but you can do at home 20 minute workouts. Make sure you set a time that you stop studying everynight (my personal rule is if it's not done by 9:30pm, I'm not doing it) and get a regular amount of sleep, yes that means on weekends getting up in the morning, it's only for a few weeks. And the good thing is after your done you've got all of the winter holidays to relax. If things get too stressful or you are struggling to cope please reach out to people, eg, childline or the Samaritans.
It's good that you are starting this early because many people will not start studying until a few days beforehand. Remember grades aren't everything.
Original post by Valeriex
English (this is the last one I have tips for, I really hope these have been helpful) :
RUAE:
On twitter if you look up #N5HRUAE schools post articles which will help you to get used to the style of articles. I'd recommend reading one of them a day, it will literally only take you 5 mins.
The easiest way to gain marks in RUAE is to use word choice, so do it as often as possible. Remember to quote everything as you get a point just for quoting (you don't get that in higher!). I'd recommend that for as many questions as possible not just to count on gaining a point for your explanation so if it is 2 marks, do 2 quotes and 2 comments. But don't worry if you can't think of anything else.
Do all the past papers on the SQA website to get you used to answering the questions.
SECTION 2:
For textual analysis and essay when doing papers do them together so you get used to writing quickly. Ideally you want to make up time in the TA for your essay. BBC bitesize have indepth analysis of all the scottish texts which is really useful if you are lacking analysis of some of your quotes. To learn quotes I put post it notes on my wall, try and pick quotes that you have analysis for and can use for a lot of different uses (eg from all my sons I used a quote where someone says something like "Not everyone is a jesus" so it's really easy to write loads about that) . For TA just answer the questions the exact same way as RUAE. Remember for 8 mark questions Commonality , Primary text (you can use same quotes as earlier questions) 2 quotes and comments or 1 quote and a really good comment, Secondary text, I'd say use at least 4 quotes and comments but if you are good on time try and use 6 quotes.
For your essay make general essay plans (eg, character, theme, opening/closing scene ) Make sure you finish your essay as you can't pass it if you don't write a conclusion. You could even bullet point your final paragraph and write a conclusion if you are extremely short on time. Honestly try not to worry too much about English as at N5 I only every passed an essay once and still got an A, for some reason though I got 15/20 on every single essay in higher which is so confusing.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR PRELIMS YOU'VE GOT IT! And even if it doesn't go amazing, I'm sure your school will be doing lots of tests since N5s have been cancelled.

Thank you!

I managed to get:

RUAE: 16/30
Set Text: 11/20
Essay: 10/20

Makes up to a C, obviously got time to improve and I appreciate your help and tips!
For Music use this website it has audio quizzes, remember to revise N3-N5 concepts as they all can come up.
For the final question in the listening paper which is 5 marks just make sure you include these 5 and you are almost guaranteed full marks (obviously write down more than 5 just incase)
- major/minor
- time signature (probably 4/4 or 3/4, double check incase it is compound time- 6/8- but that is highly unlikely )
- what the tempo is (adagio/andante/allegro - if it isn't obvious go for andante or moderato)
- sequence (just trust me on this there is a 95% chance it will be there- I don't think there was a past paper where there wasn't one)
- name any instrument or dynamic (be careful to not use plural if it is a solo instrument)

I''ll reply with tips for the other subjects I've done.
Can't really give you much help with performing haha, just try and be confident, I know it's hard. Also for the listening paper it is 80% multiple choice so you can usually rule out a lot of the concepts really easily.

Hello, thank you for all the tips and stuff, listening was meant to be this month but been put on hold.

For the performing part I got:

Keyboard: 7/10 (A)
Xylophone: 6/10 (B)

So I am happy with them just the listening to get through!
On a general note, try not to stress yourself too much, I know it's difficult. Try and do a little revision set aside say 1 hour each night, as if you do 1 hour of studying you will probably go on for longer. Keep your phone out of site if you aren't using it.
Take study breaks, I'd say go on a walk/run but maybe not in this weather but you can do at home 20 minute workouts. Make sure you set a time that you stop studying everynight (my personal rule is if it's not done by 9:30pm, I'm not doing it) and get a regular amount of sleep, yes that means on weekends getting up in the morning, it's only for a few weeks. And the good thing is after your done you've got all of the winter holidays to relax. If things get too stressful or you are struggling to cope please reach out to people, eg, childline or the Samaritans.
It's good that you are starting this early because many people will not start studying until a few days beforehand. Remember grades aren't everything.

I will defo do this next time!!
French:
Honestly past papers are the way to go here, if you can try and own your own french dictionary just to get used to it. For the job application learn it off by heart, you have like 3 weeks until your prelim so make sure you know the first 4 bullet points perfectly. This is a rough guide on how I learned my (spanish) job app in like 2 weeks:
Spent 2 days on each bullet point just learning it, this is what I would do when learning (only took about 30 mins a day) :
- Write it out twice by just copying it
- Try and write it from memory, correct all mistakes
- Say out loud like 5 times, pronunciation doesn't matter just say it how it looks. Try and do this from memory
- Take a break for like 10 mins then try and write out the paragraph from memory, again just correct any mistakes.
- Repeat the next day.
I did that for each bullet point, but I would also write out the previous bullet points once when trying to learn new ones (eg, when learning bullet point 3, before learning it that evening I would write out 1 &2 correcting mistakes so i didn't forget it)
Once you have done all the known bullet points (so should take you 8 days) practice just doing the first 4 from memory. If you write that perfectly then you have already got 12/20. For the unpredictables I just wrote them on post it notes and put them on my wall, I'd read them over while brushing my teeth. But don't worry about them too much, if you just write a basic sentence for them both you'll probably get 16/20. I got really lucky in my prelim that when I was looking up a verb or something for my unpredictable they had an example sentence it using it and it fitted the bullet point so I just used that, so that got me a 20 lmao.
Just hammer all the past papers, especially the listening which is objectively the hardest part.

Hello! Thank you for all the tips.

I didn't do very well in French, I have never really understood it tbh.

I am dropping it in S5 anyway, In the prelim I got:

Reading: 15/30
Listening: 6/20
Writing: 4/20

I honestly could of tried a lot harder.
Biology:
I'd recommend that if you think you know the content then do as many past papers as possible to get used to the style of question. You can find them here , and the specimen paper is on the actual N5 biology page on the SQA website. I recommend BBC bitesize quizzes as a quick overview to see what topics you know and what ones to focus on when revising.
Ways to revise:
If you already have flashcards made, use them. However you can find digital ones on places like quizlet if you haven't as it can take a while to make them.
Another thing I think is really useful is to put the name of a subtopic (eg, Cell structure) and give yourself 10 mins or however long to write everything you know about that topic from memory, then use the course specification to fill in any gaps that you have missed (preferably in different colour) this is useful to getting you to actually think rather than just passively reading. And the course spec is an extremely useful tool, especially for Biology with seeing exactly what you need, you could honestly just revise from that, but please when using the spec scroll about halfway down (page 25 for N5 bio) the document that also tells you the depth of knowledge you need for each topic as that gives you exact wording and helps you to get As.

Thank you for the tips! I never got my Biology results but only one person passed in my class, I honestly did not understand the paper and hopefully, through assessments I will at least gain a C.
Hi, well done on those results they are really good for a first attempt!
For French which seems to be one you are struggling with, if you are wanting a C, I recommend just learning the 4 bullet points, then just attempting the unpredictables if you can, as then you have 12/20. Don't worry about listening, most people end up failing it and still pass. In fact my teacher at N5 said you could get 0/20 on the listening, do a bit better than average on the other parts and still get an A.

Who knows when we will be back at school, my prelims were meant to be in January but I'm guessing they have been pushed to March. Honestly I'm not doing any type of revision right now as everything is so uncertain, so it would be extremely hypocritical to tell you to try and revise. So just as long as you are doing your online school work, I'm sure your 'exams' in May (or whenever your school will do them) will go as you want :smile:
Hey, that's great results. I did nat 5 Spanish and got an A and I'm doing higher right now.

As Valeriex said, try to learn the 4 bullet points by re-writing a lot.
For listening, my teacher said that before the conversation starts to try to make key words for each question so for example: "What does Juan like to do in his free time" I would put: "En mi tiempo libre..." (In my free time...) but of course, in french.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending