username4942066
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone

I’m currently in year 9 and am considering self studying further maths gcse. If anyone has done this before please can you share your experience and possibly some tips? If needed I may also get tutor later on in year 11.

Thanks for your help
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It's not actually a GCSE but a Level 2 certificate. You can find the details here: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/math...thematics-8365 People normally study it in Year 11 when they're more or less finished the GCSE specification. I'm not sure how easy it would be to learn in parallel. When were you thinking of taking it? Year 11?
lunderground
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Buddingdentist08)
Hi everyone

I’m currently in year 9 and am considering self studying further maths gcse. If anyone has done this before please can you share your experience and possibly some tips? If needed I may also get tutor later on in year 11.

Thanks for your help
We were supposed to start doing FM in year 11 but our teacher never really got round to it and were were told to just "try our best" in the exam. I taught myself the content using Dr Frost maths powerpoints, they're really good and I got an A^. I didn't really start until at least half way through Y11. It's not as hard as doing an "extra GCSE" if you're pretty confident at maths already, just a bit of extra content and there is some overlap. You won't need a tutor probably unless you struggle with maths ATM in which case maybe ask yourself why you want to do FM.
username4356336
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I taught myself and also got an A^. Just look through the syllabus and do all of the past papers available (I think there was just 1 when I did it last 2 years ago). Look at some A Level resources and questions (for the relevant topics) too.
username4942066
Rep:
(Original post by Compost)
It's not actually a GCSE but a Level 2 certificate. You can find the details here: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/math...thematics-8365 People normally study it in Year 11 when they're more or less finished the GCSE specification. I'm not sure how easy it would be to learn in parallel. When were you thinking of taking it? Year 11?
Thanks for the link! I’ll have a read of it. Yes I was thinking of taking it in yr11
cryinqclouds
Badges: 9
Report 1 year ago
I was self studying it before exams got cancelled. I bought the cgp revision guide and workbook which helped a ton. In all honesty it wasn't too difficult although I didn't end up getting a grade for it (due to an administrative error with my previous school) it has helped with the first few chapters of A Level maths! As for tips I'd just reccommend you do like 1 topic a week or maybe 2 especially since you're in year 9 you have plenty of time. The quicker you finish the content the more time you have to practice exam technique and do some revision but make sure you don't rush through the content. Just go through the cgp book and if anything comes up search it up on yt! I also remember having trouble finding exam material as this year was going to be the first cohort to actually do the exam so I've put up the google drive of past papers for the previous spec which is still useful.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jA?usp=sharing

And this website has written solution for some of the papers
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/student...solutions.html

Hope this helped! Let me know if you need anything else
username4942066
Rep:
(Original post by lunderground)
We were supposed to start doing FM in year 11 but our teacher never really got round to it and were were told to just "try our best" in the exam. I taught myself the content using Dr Frost maths powerpoints, they're really good and I got an A^. I didn't really start until at least half way through Y11. It's not as hard as doing an "extra GCSE" if you're pretty confident at maths already, just a bit of extra content and there is some overlap. You won't need a tutor probably unless you struggle with maths ATM in which case maybe ask yourself why you want to do FM.
Thanks for your help. I don’t struggle with maths fortunately. It’s my best subjects. I’ll be sure to look at the dr frost resources. Thanks again!
username4942066
Rep:
(Original post by sdr981)
I taught myself and also got an A^. Just look through the syllabus and do all of the past papers available (I think there was just 1 when I did it last 2 years ago). Look at some A Level resources and questions (for the relevant topics) too.
Ok will do. Thanks for your help!
username4942066
Rep:
(Original post by cryinqclouds)
I was self studying it before exams got cancelled. I bought the cgp revision guide and workbook which helped a ton. In all honesty it wasn't too difficult although I didn't end up getting a grade for it (due to an administrative error with my previous school) it has helped with the first few chapters of A Level maths! As for tips I'd just reccommend you do like 1 topic a week or maybe 2 especially since you're in year 9 you have plenty of time. The quicker you finish the content the more time you have to practice exam technique and do some revision but make sure you don't rush through the content. Just go through the cgp book and if anything comes up search it up on yt! I also remember having trouble finding exam material as this year was going to be the first cohort to actually do the exam so I've put up the google drive of past papers for the previous spec which is still useful.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jA?usp=sharing

And this website has written solution for some of the papers
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/student...solutions.html

Hope this helped! Let me know if you need anything else
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate your tips and the attach links. All the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (53)
31.55%
Yes - a trusted person (44)
26.19%
No (48)
28.57%
I'm not sure (23)
13.69%

Watched Threads