How are you supposed to write a dissertation on something that has no answer

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I am doing Genetics. An important rule when formulating our dissertation titles was to come up with something that has not been answered in previous literature and ideally not even asked. I am just wondering how I should even begin writing an extensive essay on something that has had legitimately no research conducted on it and thus close to 0 materials available online. There is only so much that you can theorize before you end up writing an essay full of un-backed nonsense. Because of the situation, it's not like I can go out and conduct my own research (I wouldn't have been able to do this anyway because I'm a third year student, not a professor with full access to labs and resources and it's not like I can bring in a monkey from South America and extract its DNA for research etc).
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am doing Genetics. An important rule when formulating our dissertation titles was to come up with something that has not been answered in previous literature and ideally not even asked. I am just wondering how I should even begin writing an extensive essay on something that has had legitimately no research conducted on it and thus close to 0 materials available online. There is only so much that you can theorize before you end up writing an essay full of un-backed nonsense. Because of the situation, it's not like I can go out and conduct my own research (I wouldn't have been able to do this anyway because I'm a third year student, not a professor with full access to labs and resources and it's not like I can bring in a monkey from South America and extract its DNA for research etc).
Their will be lots of literature in your field leading up to your question. You need to first explain why you asking this question and you will need to explain the important historical developments and the current edge of the knowledge sphere in your area; this should naturally lead to your thesis question.

Your dissertation will go through a process a methodology to describe collecting information and some form of analysis, a method to draw results, and your results will show something it could show something new or show this field is irrelevant but it will show something unknown or theorised.
You can discuss:
-the previous literature
-the methodology of your work
-the analysis & results
-your conclusions
-further research that can follow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads