EMBaguette
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
At the moment psychology is the subject I enjoy the most and it is looking likely that it will be what I want to get a degree in. So I'm just curious what careers paths there are and if they all require like another few years of education. And does it pay well
CoffeeKitten
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi!
I love Psychology too, it's one of my A-levels. I am planning on taking the subject further and becoming a Clinical Psychologist. I have found that in order to do this, it will include doing a Psychology degree (or any degree plus a one-year conversion for Psychology) and then a doctorate in Clinical Psychology. This path would take at least 6 years. As far as I'm aware, this is very similar for any purely psychology based career, such as Psychiatrist, Counsellor, Researcher, Educational Psychologist, Sports Psychologist, Forensic Psychologist etc. Considering the amount of education required for these (and the cost of that!), the pay is really good! I know that as an experienced Clinical Psychologist you can make £80,000+ yearly.

However, psychology is useful in a lot of jobs. If you did not want to continue your education passed degree level, you could also think of working in schools, social work, human resources, marketing, media, police etc. Anything that works with people! I'm not sure about the pay for these jobs but I'm sure it varies.

I hope this helps (and I'm definitely no careers advisor, I just love psychology too!!). Good luck!
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This page from the BPS website explains the different areas of Psychology you can go into, what sort of qualifications are required and how to become qualified: https://careers.bps.org.uk/
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There are various sorts of psychologist. These require substantial experience and more studying.

Typical roles for graduates of psychology are (more or less in order of likelyhood):-
support worker (low paid)
retail worker (low paid)
cafes (low paid)
hotel work (low paid)
teaching assistant
marketing
HR
charity and voluntary sector
admin
general employment markt
teaching (with further study, high paid)
assistant psychologist (higher paid)
Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (with more study and higher paid)
research assistant
Clinical/Educational/Forensic Psychologist (the others are rarer) (very, very high paid)

Psychology is not a high earning subject. Psychology graduates tend to do well finding employment, but it isn't as high as many other subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (74)
63.79%
I don't have everything I need (42)
36.21%

Watched Threads