dorty
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I've just submitted my postgraduate dissertation and have not included the Conclusion section. I have had 2 PMC's, late-submission and non-submission so I had an extra 5 weeks to complete it. In my haste to hand it in I have missed the Conclusion section out. Will I fail?
Last edited by dorty; 8 months ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by dorty)
I've just submitted my postgraduate dissertation and have not included the Conclusion section. I have had 2 PMC's, late-submission and non-submission so I had an extra 5 weeks to complete it. In my haste to hand it in I have missed the Conclusion section out. Will I fail?
Quite possibly. You need to read up on the grade requirements etc. Seems probable you will get an average at best grade for the dissertation, so if it's a large proportion of the course, it will have an impact. You need to read your course handbook or whatever the equivalent is.
dorty
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Quite possibly. You need to read up on the grade requirements etc. Seems probable you will get an average at best grade for the dissertation, so if it's a large proportion of the course, it will have an impact. You need to read your course handbook or whatever the equivalent is.
I didn't fail any of my modules and was averaging 60% in all of them. My dissertation might of scraped a Merit with the Conclusion included, but now I'm worried I won't even get a Pass
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by dorty)
It's hard to say without seeing the exact marking rubric. If the quality of the rest of the dissertation is high, you may get by, but if not, it may affect your final average more heavily.
megascream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's very unlikely anyone will fail a MSc dissertation. I know someone who failed half of modules but still passed the dissertation. After all, if you fail it, you will need to resubmit it with the support of your dissertation supervisor under most unis' rules. This is an extra burden to your supervisor and they will not fail someone unless it's extremely unacceptable.

Also, conclusion is not a compulsory part of a thesis. As long as your argument is well justified in each section and you have a good explanation of research question and literature, it could be a good thesis. I have even read two or three PhD theses that don't have a conclusion. However, conclusion does help to present a better thesis. I'm afraid there is high possibility that your grades won't be good enough (probably high 50+ to low 60+).
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by dorty)
I doubt you would fail providing the rest of the dissertation was good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.92%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.21%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.33%
I'm really nervous (60)
20.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed