Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am thinking of firming my choice to study at the University of Sussex and am looking at on-campus accommodation. I really don't like the idea of sharing with 12 others and would prefer one of the halls with 5-6 students in. How likely is it that you receive your first choice of accommodation and how do they allocate it? Thanks!
Advertisement
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am thinking of firming my choice to study at the University of Sussex and am looking at on-campus accommodation. I really don't like the idea of sharing with 12 others and would prefer one of the halls with 5-6 students in. How likely is it that you receive your first choice of accommodation and how do they allocate it? Thanks!
Hello, from my experience, I can tell you that unfortunately, it is generally the case that you do not get your first choice of accommodation. Although this depends on several factors: how popular your chosen accommodation option is, when you submit your application (the sooner, the better), and whether you report any special circumstances that would give you priority for specific accommodation type (e.g. mental health problems, physical disability, learning difficulties, etc.) I would say that if you feel that living in flats with a lot of students will put you at an academic disadvantage, then this is something that you should definitely talk to the housing team about - it never hurts to just email or phone them to see if they can ease your concerns ([email protected], 01273 678220).

So, in terms of the actual application procedure, you would normally list about 6 accommodation choices, in order of preference. If you do not want to live with more than 6 people, then selecting just the accommodation types that fit that criteria, would probably be the best option. There are at least 6 different accommodation choices, where the number of people per flat does not exceed 6 people. Here is a link to the Sussex housing options web-page: https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/accommodation/on-campus. It gives you information about how many people you can expect to live with. Generally if you are told that accommodation has flats of 6-8 people, it is very rare you would have 7 flat mates. Most flats will have the lower number of 6 people.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (218)
55.9%
I don't have everything I need (172)
44.1%

Watched Threads