Digital & Technology Solutions apprentices able to talk about your experiences?

Watch
someguynamedremy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Currently trying to decide between a CS degree and an apprenticeship in Software Engineering. I was wondering the following:

How much time was spent working vs studying?
What modules did you study as part of the apprenticeship?
Would you recommend it over a CS degree?
What projects did you work on?
helloman1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by someguynamedremy)
Currently trying to decide between a CS degree and an apprenticeship in Software Engineering. I was wondering the following:

I am a degree apprentice with Jaguar Land Rover doing the Digital Technology Solutions BSc Degree Apprenticeship.
In terms of time spent working vs studying it’s 80 vs 20 percent respectively. Basically all uni lectures are virtual at the minute due to COVID-19 and we have one week every four weeks doing university. We also get one day studying a week which is usually done at home. I am currently going into office and I would recommend it due to the work experience which is invaluable, debt-free degree and a salary which increases as you progress. In terms of modules we have studied so far we have done: Information Business Management Operations, Applied Maths (essentially Further Maths A Level Decision Mathematics and AS Level Statistics) and Smart Solutions Programming. We have also worked on a module known as ‘Personal Skills for Professional Excellence’ which is basically skills related to professionals. We have more modules for Y2, Y3 and Y4 of the course. Hope that answers your question - from what I’m aware JLR Degree Applications are open until 15 Feb 2021.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by someguynamedremy)

Hi, I work as a lead developer in software engineering and DevOps. I did my degree in computer science about 10 years ago. I believe apprenticeships are the way forward and if I could go back that's what I would have done. I have never hired a graduate that did not also have commercial experience, side projects and portfolio, GitHub, internship etc. and I (and many others) prioritise candidates who have experience in a commercial working environment

I've been hiring engineers since November last year (also hired a couple the year before) and at my new workplace we are looking to hire more engineers - we also do apprenticeship schemes. Which works out for the business in terms of risk and cost and as well for the candidate we hire because they are familiar with the business, the tech stack etc.

If you have a choice between degree with no experience and an apprenticeship with actual experience + job at the end of it, go with that option - definitely.

Let me know if you have other questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads