Interview at Surrey for Vet Med but I don't meet the admissions requirements?

Watch
MayaRich
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I received an invitation for an interview last week, but I realized they require 5 GCSEs which I don't have. Only Maths & English, and I'm studying an Access Course.

What are my chances of admission? Has anyone been in the same boat? I'm wondering if they'll ask me to take the GCSEs (conditional offer?!)

I'm so stressed. :-(
vetstudent123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MayaRich)
I received an invitation for an interview last week, but I realized they require 5 GCSEs which I don't have. Only Maths & English, and I'm studying an Access Course.

What are my chances of admission? Has anyone been in the same boat? I'm wondering if they'll ask me to take the GCSEs (conditional offer?!)

I'm so stressed. :-(
I doubt they would go to the effort of interviewing you if they were going to reject you based on your academic credentials. They would've just rejected you outright. It is possible they may ask you to resit, but they wouldn't ask you to do this during the vet course, so I'm not sure what they would be expecting of you (sorry I don't know how GCSEs work anymore regarding resits).

If you're super worried, I would contact the admissions and ask them what their plan is? But try not to stress because you have an interview!! If it leads to an offer, will having to resit something be an issue? I would try to focus on your interview for now because that's your main obstacle at the moment. Good luck!
TheWannabeFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I got 3 offers and interviews from places that I didn't fully meet the requirements for - go for it - 4 years later they haven't kicked me out so bit late now
Scojen95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
I got 3 offers and interviews from places that I didn't fully meet the requirements for - go for it - 4 years later they haven't kicked me out so bit late now
Hi, can I ask if this was for vet med? And if you don't mind sharing what you applied with? I'm looking at doing a Swap course as a mature student but wonder if it is worth applying with what I already have, just to see what happens!
MayaRich
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Scojen95)
Hi, can I ask if this was for vet med? And if you don't mind sharing what you applied with? I'm looking at doing a Swap course as a mature student but wonder if it is worth applying with what I already have, just to see what happens!
Hi, yes, for vet med I applied with an Access Course (Access to Medicine) / all distinction results, and pending Maths/English GCSE results.
TheWannabeFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scojen95)
It was for vet med

I applied with AAA at A level - bio, chem & history - I resat the chemistry AS component
My GCSE's were 4A's 4B's with one of those B's being maths which the uni's do require an A for (or did in the old alphabetical system)
Applied to RVC, Nottingham, Liverpool & Surrey
Got interviews and offers from RVC, Notts and Liv with a straight up rejection 2 days after application from Surrey
Hope this helps
MayaRich
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
It was for vet med

I applied with AAA at A level - bio, chem & history - I resat the chemistry AS component
My GCSE's were 4A's 4B's with one of those B's being maths which the uni's do require an A for (or did in the old alphabetical system)
Applied to RVC, Nottingham, Liverpool & Surrey
Got interviews and offers from RVC, Notts and Liv with a straight up rejection 2 days after application from Surrey
Hope this helps
Thank you!! Where did you end up going?

I’m so nervous because you have way more credentials than me, and I clearly don’t meet the academic requirements, but I’m hoping I’ll still get an offer. Do you remember how long after interview at Surrey you were given rejection?

Really crossing my fingers for Bristol (my first choice) but I’ll be excited if I end up with just one offer at any university. 🙁
TheWannabeFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MayaRich)
Thank you!! Where did you end up going?

I’m so nervous because you have way more credentials than me, and I clearly don’t meet the academic requirements, but I’m hoping I’ll still get an offer. Do you remember how long after interview at Surrey you were given rejection?

Really crossing my fingers for Bristol (my first choice) but I’ll be excited if I end up with just one offer at any university. 🙁
I'm a clinical student at Liverpool now
Surrey I never got an interview for - within the week after my application was sent off Surrey rejected me - the others I was interviewed and received offers for. You have to be fairly strategic in your applications

So Bristol don't interview - meaning almost all their criteria is based on grades - Liverpool seem far more open to applicants with experience (obviously they are flexible with COVID) but many of my cohort are older students cf other universities. Harper-Keele also seem to have more realistic entrance requirements (and Harper is an amazing place) so they would definitely be worth a look at
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (197)
57.6%
I don't have everything I need (145)
42.4%

Watched Threads