lukebeaumont
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hopefully going UWE in September. Wanting to live in the city but not sure which accommodation.
Originally was looking at Marketgate but had advice from people there that there's loads of security and it's a bit of a ballache.
Also looked at Nelson and Drake House which looked promising until I read the reviews and said it's quite hard to socialize with other halls there.
Please can someone suggest which City accommodation would be best for partying, raving ...
aboib
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lukebeaumont)
Hopefully going UWE in September. Wanting to live in the city but not sure which accommodation.
Originally was looking at Marketgate but had advice from people there that there's loads of security and it's a bit of a ballache.
Also looked at Nelson and Drake House which looked promising until I read the reviews and said it's quite hard to socialize with other halls there.
Please can someone suggest which City accommodation would be best for partying, raving ...
I graduated from UWE May this year. I lived at Marketgate during my first year 3 years ago. At the time it was definitely THE BEST city centre accommodation. So many people lived in one building. The bedrooms were decent, double beds, big desks, decent bathroom and good storage. The biggest gamble is where your flat is. Some flats look back onto the back of the buidling, so there isn't much privacy for those rooms which is annoying - it's a lottery where your room will be. The kitchens are fine, they're basic but roomy - excellent for mini parties! Towards the end of my time at Marketgate security became more involved due to so many people living there that weren't paying - I knew a few people who had their boyfriends/girlfriends living with them full time and the staff became suspicious. I know also that there was a big drug problem towards May time when a few students passed out from dodgie ket!! So they tried to clamp down on drug use. Everyone smoked in their bedrooms and kitchens.
Phoenix Court is next door, it's much smaller, but it's newer. Rooms and kitchens were cleaner but everything smaller.
Nelson and Drake is decent, rooms are old but you're literally right in the centre. Nelson and Drake also has a big communal area on the ground floor which is outdoors but partly covered by a roof - good if you smoke. Also, possibly good if covid continues.
I knew a few people who lived in Blenheim Court - again that was a little small but rooms were similar to Marketgate.

Although Marketgate may have some new rules in place - I think it really is the best place to live for UWE city centre first year. You're right next to Cabot, the buses to Bower Ashton are only a 10 minute walk away. Also on a night out it's relatively safe to walk back through Broadmead - don't walk through Castle Park after a night out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (417)
56.58%
I don't have everything I need (320)
43.42%

Watched Threads