The Student Room Group

My bf doesn't want to propose but wants to marry me. I want a proposal!

So my partner and I have been together for 3.5 years. We have talked about getting married etc and have recently started planning to marry next year in April. But my partner doesn't want to propose as he thinks it's irrelevant since we both know we want to marry each other. However, for me a proposal is important due to the surprise element and the romantic element. I also want a picture of it as well.

We had talked about the proposal before where he asked what kinda rings I liked etc. So he was planning on proposing. But then recently changed his mind. But still wants to marry.

I don't know what to do as he is adamant he won't propose. And I feel like this is a deal breaker for me. I don't want to force him to do it as then it won't be coming from the heart.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

is it that deep
Reply 2
Original post by duofoldreborn
is it that deep

For me it is yes. The fact he doesn't want to do it tells me he doesn't want to care about my feelings. I should add that he had talked about proposing before, and it is only recently that he changed his mind.
why not??

it take like 5 minutes
Original post by Judy13
So my partner and I have been together for 3.5 years. We have talked about getting married etc and have recently started planning to marry next year in April. But my partner doesn't want to propose as he thinks it's irrelevant since we both know we want to marry each other. However, for me a proposal is important due to the surprise element and the romantic element. I also want a picture of it as well.

I don't know what to do as he is adamant he won't propose. And I feel like this is a deal breaker for me. I don't want to force him to do it as then it won't be coming from the heart.

Can't you propose to him instead?
Reply 5

Original post by vix.xvi
why not??

it take like 5 minutes

Yeah exactly. He says it's pointless as he knows I'm gonna say yes.
Reply 6
Original post by 1st superstar
Can't you propose to him instead?

I'm definitely not doing that tbh. Bcs I just always had it in my head that I'd be proposed to. Like it'd be a surprise, I won't be expecting it and that way it'd be romantic etc. Whereas if I do it, it's not special for me and he wouldn't even want me to do it
Original post by Judy13
I'm definitely not doing that tbh. Bcs I just always had it in my head that I'd be proposed to. Like it'd be a surprise, I won't be expecting it and that way it'd be romantic etc. Whereas if I do it, it's not special for me and he wouldn't even want me to do it

Ok then.
Will u marry me ?
Reply 9
Yeah I guess. The way I see it is as making things official.
Reply 10
Ohh 100%. I wouldn't say the picture is for the gram. I keep an album of us so I wanted it for that. But I definitely agree with the fact that the surprise and romantic element is gone if I have to force him. Hence why I'm stuck on what to do.
Reply 11
Original post by tashkent46
Will u marry me ?

At this rate, yes. You've definitely done more than my bf has lol😂
Original post by Judy13
You've definitely done more than my bf has lol😂

*insert joke about hearing this often*

Great pack your bags we are off to Tuscany.
Reply 13
If it's a dealbreaker for you then you should end the relationship.
Reply 14
Original post by tashkent46
*insert joke about hearing this often*

Great pack your bags we are off to Tuscany.

Haha😂 😂
Honestly, I don’t think you should take it to heart. It is definitely NOT something to end the relationship over. Many people don’t get to the stage of marriage, and you’re quite lucky to be having this conversation. But some people struggle with being the centre of attention in a crowd, and if your bf is like that I believe you should acknowledge his feelings, too. You don’t need a proposal to have a good future with him.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Retread
If it's a dealbreaker for you then you should end the relationship.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Because even if he proposes now, it'd be half heartedly which won't be special etc. And if he doesn't (sounds a bit silly) but I'd be hurt by it. So I feel like it's best to leave the relationship than have to remember for the rest of my life that he didn't propose. Like when I get others get engaged and I'd be jealous lol.
Reply 17
Original post by Freya JC
Honestly, I don’t think you should take it to heart. It is definitely NOT something to end the relationship over. Many people don’t get to the stage of marriage, and you’re quite lucky to be having this conversation. But some people struggle with being the centre of attention in a crowd, and if your bf is like that I believe you should acknowledge his feelings, too. You don’t need a proposal to have a good future with him.

Yeah that is true. The thing is yeah I don't even want much, like I don't it to be in a public place or anything. I'm happy for it to happen in my room or whatever. Or even if it's just a convo without a ring or whatever. I literally said to him that even if it was a £10 ring I'd say yes. For me what's important is that I get asked. And he kinda tell me why he wants to marry me. Like I don't it to be big or anything. The fact that he can't do something that would just take 5 to 10 mins kinda makes me feel like he's being inconsiderate. And idk if he's gonna be like that for the rest of our lives. Because usually he is considerate.
Reply 18
Original post by Judy13
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Because even if he proposes now, it'd be half heartedly which won't be special etc. And if he doesn't (sounds a bit silly) but I'd be hurt by it. So I feel like it's best to leave the relationship than have to remember for the rest of my life that he didn't propose. Like when I get others get engaged and I'd be jealous lol.

I think you'd be foolish to do so but we all have our preferences, red flags, dealbreakers etc when it comes to relationships.
With all due respect, if everything else in your relationship is fine, then ending it over not having a proposal when you’re already planning the marriage seems a little shallow.

I understand your point about your feelings but he does make a good point and 3.5 years seems quite significant to throw away over a lack of proposal given the scenario. Marriage is about compromise and this is maybe one of those times where you may need to do just that.

*Disclaimer: this is assuming you have no other issues in the relationship and is just my take on what you’ve described. Feel free to ignore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending