The University of Law Students
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
The LPC is sooo different to my LLB!

With the LLB, learning case law was KEY - highly examinable and remembering the full name along with the main facts was essential.

The LLB was also a lot less work, in terms of consolidation. I only consolidated on my LLB in exam season when making revision notes but with the LPC I’m consolidating after every one! (prep reading is a lot for both courses imo)

I actually prefer the LPC SO MUCH! It is so much more practical- we are filling out court documents based on facts and ensuring it complies with the procedure rules.

We have a module on “introduction to professional practice” where we learn how to properly interview, draft, conduct legal research, create solicitors accounts, and so on.

I’m really loving it so far. Even the modules I was less excited about it (such as our business law module) I am enjoying!

Don’t get me wrong... the workload is a lot especially on particular weeks... but we’ve got to get used to it for when we’re lawyers haha!

If you’re on the LPC... how are you finding it ?! Is it different to your LLB/ GDL?

Tasha
(LPC LLM student doing it online)
law9918
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Could you please offer some advice as to the following question:

Has anybody completed the extended essay (3000 words) as part of their LLB degree and if so can shed some light on their experience albeit positive/negative.

Much Appreciated
Rep:
?
Hey law9918

Yes I did in my second year!

So, I typically prefer courseworks over exams which is why I chose it. You also have no lectures or workshops for the module, meaning more free time (which is spent on work obvs but it means no travelling in etc)

They give you a list of questions on diff topics to pick from. You can choose your own title but it needs approval & I wouldn’t recommend because they have chosen the titles for a reason- they’re good questions and are not too narrow & not too wide. If you ask your tutor they *should* let you look sh the titles actually, or if not maybe last years titles!

I chose the one that interested me most as everyone does better if interested most! It was on lasting powers of attorneys and I had never actually studied it before, however knew about it from real life situations. I’d say this is a positive - I’d never even studied the subject yet was able to interpret the title, find good sources & write the essay, scoring a First

You are given a timetable to adhere to, although you don’t need to follow it strictly. I think a few weeks in (can’t remember how many) you’re allowed to submit a few hundred words to your supervisor who will mark it. Then, a couple weeks later, you are allowed to do the same. So, you only get your actual work marked for review twice, which is a negative imo. However, you can meet with your supervisor for a total of 4 hours I believe, to ask for some guidance e.g. if you’re struggling for sources, struggling on structure they can give some help... but not by looking at your actual words (only the two times explained above).
Also, I had my family read mine sooo many times. The essay is supposed to be readable by laypeople, so it’s perfect getting family/ friends to read!

You don’t need to use the total 4 hours with your supervisor. You don’t even have to submit words to them, but I deffo recommend doing so! Also, this helps you keep to a structure - if you set up a meeting with your supervisor to talk about your essay... then you obvs need to do the work before you go, so it forces you to do it!

It is completely independent (minus the supervisor) so you need to be committed to doing it through the term and not leaving it until the last minute

The independence is both a positive and negative. Positive because like I said you have a lot more free time on your hands, can structure it how you please (for example if extra busy one week don’t have a lecture to attend etc). The negative is that it can feel quite daunting at first BUT this is why being strict with yourself is key. The second the second semester started I began my research, got a rough plan, and organised a meeting with my supervisor (btw you have to organise all the meetings with your supervisor... if you don’t, they won’t for you!)

I really liked it, I love researching and interpreting the title. I chose to do similar in third year (it’s a research project with 6,000 words instead of 3,000).

Also, out of those who I know who done it (roughly 5 of us) we all scored highly

I think if you prefer courseworks over exams, this is deffo a good choice! Just remember to not leave it until the last minute and try and dedicate the equivalent of, say, 2 hours a week (so if you’re too busy one week, do 4 hours the next). I basically got my main body written within the first couple weeks, had a meeting to discuss my structure, redrafted, then got it marked ASAP. From there, I just kept researching, and re drafting! Try and get a good amount done ASAP

Hope that helps!
Tasha :-)

Note: if you’re struggling to pick between a few titles, spend 10-15 mins on each doing very light research and seeing what’s out there!
law9918
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hey law9918

Yes I did in my second year!

So, I typically prefer courseworks over exams which is why I chose it. You also have no lectures or workshops for the module, meaning more free time (which is spent on work obvs but it means no travelling in etc)

They give you a list of questions on diff topics to pick from. You can choose your own title but it needs approval & I wouldn’t recommend because they have chosen the titles for a reason- they’re good questions and are not too narrow & not too wide. If you ask your tutor they *should* let you look sh the titles actually, or if not maybe last years titles!

I chose the one that interested me most as everyone does better if interested most! It was on lasting powers of attorneys and I had never actually studied it before, however knew about it from real life situations. I’d say this is a positive - I’d never even studied the subject yet was able to interpret the title, find good sources & write the essay, scoring a First

You are given a timetable to adhere to, although you don’t need to follow it strictly. I think a few weeks in (can’t remember how many) you’re allowed to submit a few hundred words to your supervisor who will mark it. Then, a couple weeks later, you are allowed to do the same. So, you only get your actual work marked for review twice, which is a negative imo. However, you can meet with your supervisor for a total of 4 hours I believe, to ask for some guidance e.g. if you’re struggling for sources, struggling on structure they can give some help... but not by looking at your actual words (only the two times explained above).
Also, I had my family read mine sooo many times. The essay is supposed to be readable by laypeople, so it’s perfect getting family/ friends to read!

You don’t need to use the total 4 hours with your supervisor. You don’t even have to submit words to them, but I deffo recommend doing so! Also, this helps you keep to a structure - if you set up a meeting with your supervisor to talk about your essay... then you obvs need to do the work before you go, so it forces you to do it!

It is completely independent (minus the supervisor) so you need to be committed to doing it through the term and not leaving it until the last minute

The independence is both a positive and negative. Positive because like I said you have a lot more free time on your hands, can structure it how you please (for example if extra busy one week don’t have a lecture to attend etc). The negative is that it can feel quite daunting at first BUT this is why being strict with yourself is key. The second the second semester started I began my research, got a rough plan, and organised a meeting with my supervisor (btw you have to organise all the meetings with your supervisor... if you don’t, they won’t for you!)

I really liked it, I love researching and interpreting the title. I chose to do similar in third year (it’s a research project with 6,000 words instead of 3,000).

Also, out of those who I know who done it (roughly 5 of us) we all scored highly

I think if you prefer courseworks over exams, this is deffo a good choice! Just remember to not leave it until the last minute and try and dedicate the equivalent of, say, 2 hours a week (so if you’re too busy one week, do 4 hours the next). I basically got my main body written within the first couple weeks, had a meeting to discuss my structure, redrafted, then got it marked ASAP. From there, I just kept researching, and re drafting! Try and get a good amount done ASAP

Hope that helps!
Tasha :-)

Note: if you’re struggling to pick between a few titles, spend 10-15 mins on each doing very light research and seeing what’s out there!
Wow! That is definitely the comprehensive answer i needed. Funnily enough I study at Ulaw myself i achieved a first in my first year at roughly 78-80% overall but I feel as though I could have still done better. I have always preferred the coursework over exams and was really struggling on whether to pick the extended essay, but i think having read your response its a no brainer, i hope its not too late for me to change my option. Just out of curiosity did you feel like choosing the extended essay and having no workshops/lessons had a positive knock on effect to your other modules in that year? Thanks again
Rep:
?
(Original post by law9918)
Wow! That is definitely the comprehensive answer i needed. Funnily enough I study at Ulaw myself i achieved a first in my first year at roughly 78-80% overall but I feel as though I could have still done better. I have always preferred the coursework over exams and was really struggling on whether to pick the extended essay, but i think having read your response its a no brainer, i hope its not too late for me to change my option. Just out of curiosity did you feel like choosing the extended essay and having no workshops/lessons had a positive knock on effect to your other modules in that year? Thanks again
Hey,

First of all congrats on those first year grades - wow !! Wish I could say the same 😂 that’s a brilliant score and not many people get that so I would be super proud!

Yes I’m the same always prefer courseworks, the extended essay you will like I think! Same with research project in third year (it’s a double module so that’s double the amount of lectures & workshops you don’t have !!)

It shouldn’t be too late... definitely speak to your tutor, they can help the process!

Yes I do think it helped my other modules. Although the reason why you don’t have lectures / workshops is because they want you to spend those 4 hours a week doing research, in reality I don’t think anyone does it like that! I got a draft out ASAP like I said above and worked on it for fewer than 4 hours a week from that point onwards (although sometimes I got so engrossed with the research I spent ages in a week haha!) but yeah I loved having more time to schedule my week how I wanted, rather than set times with the uni timetable!

Best of luck :-)
law9918
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hey,

First of all congrats on those first year grades - wow !! Wish I could say the same 😂 that’s a brilliant score and not many people get that so I would be super proud!

Yes I’m the same always prefer courseworks, the extended essay you will like I think! Same with research project in third year (it’s a double module so that’s double the amount of lectures & workshops you don’t have !!)

It shouldn’t be too late... definitely speak to your tutor, they can help the process!

Yes I do think it helped my other modules. Although the reason why you don’t have lectures / workshops is because they want you to spend those 4 hours a week doing research, in reality I don’t think anyone does it like that! I got a draft out ASAP like I said above and worked on it for fewer than 4 hours a week from that point onwards (although sometimes I got so engrossed with the research I spent ages in a week haha!) but yeah I loved having more time to schedule my week how I wanted, rather than set times with the uni timetable!

Best of luck :-)
Thank you for your reply, I've managed to get it changed and await for the confirmation email. Thanks again for all your advice and support, all the best in the future.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by law9918)
Thank you for your reply, I've managed to get it changed and await for the confirmation email. Thanks again for all your advice and support, all the best in the future.
Amazing that’s great to hear!! You’re welcome and same to you!☺️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.91%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
16.49%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (31)
16.49%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
14.89%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
26.6%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise