This discussion is closed.
BlueRoses
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
How often do you plan to go home at weekends from uni? In the first couple of months I have quite a lot of things that I need to be home for, and I suppose I'm a bit worried about missing out on stuff at uni!

But then I know people who went home every weekend and were fine.. I suppose I just want to be able to maintain home and uni life as best as possible!
bkcr20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, at my last uni, I went home every other weekend because I hated it.
One of my flatmates went home every weekend because she wanted to go out with her friends from home [she was an Essex party girl ]
But some people I know who went to uni far away didn't come back at all.
Most people come home, like, 2 times a term-ish?
r04501112
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
depends on how far away form home you are. My travel time from uni to home is over 4 hours one way. I only go home once a month if that.
Robert_P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i want to go home only when i have to-when i need money, food and clean laundry!
captainlumpy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hmm I was wondering this too... when I'm going to uni, I think I'll be back a few days during the week, instead of the weekend, cos me n my boyfriend have the same days off (hes at college), probably every other week or whenever. I'm just worried about travel expenses
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It varies how often I go home..I drive and I only live 50 mins away, I'll go home for the odd weekend, or just to stay the night. I see my family a lot more than my friends though. I'm very family orientated though, and I miss my cat too much :love:

I think it's absolutely fine for people to go home at weekends, it's cheaper to go out during the week anyway :p:
BlueRoses
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm only an hour an a half away on a £10 train, so it's a fairly easy journey. Only worry would be missing out on things at uni really!
Joanna May
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'll be 45 minutes away on a £7 train journey, so in theory I could go home every weekend if I liked. However, I like my independence so probably only for special occasions and holidays
bkcr20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by squeak)
I think it's absolutely fine for people to go home at weekends, it's cheaper to go out during the week anyway :p:
This is a good point, actually.
scribble_girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I only go home once a term and I don't think I'd go any more/less frequently if I lived nearer/further away. To be honest, I was quite surprised at how quick the term goes, and the holidays can be really long
Sazzy890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Mine is 2 hours drive. But I think train would be longer as there are 3 train changes, plus the waiting in between. And it is expensive too. So I won't be going home until end of each term.
DeSiFiEd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Depends on the distance.

A lot of freshers at QMUL are from London anyway, within an hour/two radius, so most go home on a weekend as there's not much to do anyway!
username33685
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
when i was at uni in nottingham the only thing i ever went home for was gigs in london, lol. tbh after 18 years i was sick of my family and couldn't wait to get away from them and get my own space. i get on better with my sister as a result now. also you miss out on so much at uni at the weekends.
PaulaTwouble
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had planned on going home about once a month in the first semester (the way my family's birthdays spread out it was just going to be in time with those) but I got more homesick than I expected. After I settled in I went back to going home once a month, I'd just see how you get on, in the first semester more people go home than plan to, the first few months halls were deserted at weekends. I have a flatmate who still goes home pretty much every weekend, but I wouldn't do it, even if home and uni were closer.
xKarinx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I go home every weekend. No one really does that much on the weekends and whenever I was there for the weekend it was just soooo boring and quiet and most of my friends had gone back home anyway
*Sparkle*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I go home every weekend, weekends are bloody boring.
Zoeeee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *Sparkle*)
I go home every weekend, weekends are bloody boring.
Especially sundays!
smalltownboy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
6 hour drive, so I won't go home at all during a term probably.
Craigjamieson88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I went home quite a lot in my first year, by the end it was every 2 weeks because I hated the place and needed to get out.

It's all about balance, as you say.
AmberB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm planning on going home at weekends. I'm only an hour away from home anyway so it won't be that bad. The main reasons I wanna go home are because I want to see my boyfriend as much as possible, and to do all the washing from that week lol. I was wondering this though too, if I'd miss out on stuff at uni and if it'd look weird me going home every weekend instead of staying at uni..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (40)
88.89%
No (5)
11.11%

Watched Threads