How am I meant to deduce the range of values for concavity here ?

Watch
seals2001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Name:  Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 21.07.04.png
Views: 10
Size:  160.9 KB

I have calculated x = 0.322 and 1.89 when f ' ' (x) = 0.

But from the graph, what do I do to determine the range of values which f(x) is concave ? You can't just look at the graph to do this, it has to be done algebraically, so how do I determine the range of values which tan(2x) > 0 ?

Thanks.
Last edited by seals2001; 2 months ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You should be able to find f''(x) in the form (A cos 2x + B sin 2x) / e^x. You want the values where f''(x) > 0, which you can do by converting A cos 2x + B sin 2x into the R \sin(\theta + \alpha) form.

Edit: finding where tan 2x > 0 won't give you the correct answer. At the same time, it's somewhat worrying if you can't solve this.
Last edited by DFranklin; 2 months ago
seals2001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
You should be able to find f''(x) in the form (A cos 2x + B sin 2x) / e^x. You want the values where f''(x) > 0, which you can do by converting A cos 2x + B sin 2x into the R \sin(\theta + \alpha) form.

Edit: finding where tan 2x > 0 won't give you the correct answer. At the same time, it's somewhat worrying if you can't solve this.
Why wont tan(2x) give me the correct answer when I want to find f ' ' (x) > ) ? Also obviously I can solve it graphically, but that is not practical for a 2 mark question. How can I solve it quickly algebraically ?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by seals2001)
Why wont tan(2x) give me the correct answer when I want to find f ' ' (x) > ) ? Also obviously I can solve it graphically, but that is not practical for a 2 mark question. How can I solve it quickly algebraically ?
You were looking for tan(2x)>0, which is wrong on two accounts.

Your 2nd deriviative required 4\sin 2x - 3\cos 2x\geq 0

For your f''(x)=0 points I presume you solved 4\sin 2x - 3\cos 2x= 0 by rearranging it to \tan 2x = 3/4. That's fair enough. So, you might think to look for tan(2x)>3/4 rather than 0.

However, in going from 4\sin 2x - 3\cos 2x\geq 0 to \tan 2x \geq 3/4 you wil have divided by \cos 2x. But \cos 2x isn't always positive, and will flip sign at intervals of \pi/2. And you know if you divide by a negative value the inequality reverses. So, you'd end up having to split the x-axis up into intervals of \pi/2 with the inequality being the other way around in consecutive intervals. Nightmare!

You'll also have introduced an issue with tan(2x) not being defined when x=pi/4 (amongst other places) which is in the interval you're interested in.

Part (c) is worth 5 marks. You'd get most of them for finding the points where f''(x) is 0. Then refering to the graph, you can see that it will be concave between those two points, and convex outside that interval.

In order to change from concave to convex, because f''(x) is continuous, you have to go through a point where f''(x) is zero, and that's why a quick confirmation checking the graph is all that's needed, IMO.

If you want an algebraic confirmation, then what DFranklin said is the way to go.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.31%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (61)
29.33%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (80)
38.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed