Dan Silverman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well.

I’ve reached a point in Year 13 where I’ve found that my teachers have become useless. The quality of lessons have dropped, the effort the teachers have significantly reduced. I find myself in lessons feeling like I’m wasting time, which could be spent more effectively elsewhere. I feel like I want to miss my lessons and spend that time in the school study room/library, where I can work more productively.

My question is, what would you do?

Thank you.
ArtisticCake
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Dan

First of all, I have experienced issues like this before so you are not alone.

Even if they aren't help you, I would encourage you to continue attending lessons as if you don't the college may judge you poorly. This would reflect badly on your reference and predicted grades for UCAS should you wish to go to university.

Obviously I am not fully aware of what the lessons are like but maybe you could do your own revision and learning in classes? If they are going too slow, you can read ahead and if they are too fast take your time to go over the topics so you understand them. There are many youtubers and online courses that can help you with your a levels - primrose kitten is amazing for maths and science subjects for example. Also, ensure you do work at home so you can fill in gaps the teachers are not helping with. This can come in many forms such as making revision resources like flashcards or making your own teaching tools like powerpoints and voiceovers.

Lastly, if you feel like this is a real issue with your college and your classmates feel the same, don't be afraid to talk to administration or a form tutor. They are there to help you get the grades you want and if you don't find the lessons useful chances are others feel the same.

Hope this helps!
ninja24
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dan Silverman)
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well.

I’ve reached a point in Year 13 where I’ve found that my teachers have become useless. The quality of lessons have dropped, the effort the teachers have significantly reduced. I find myself in lessons feeling like I’m wasting time, which could be spent more effectively elsewhere. I feel like I want to miss my lessons and spend that time in the school study room/library, where I can work more productively.

Thank you.
Same here I'm just trying to revise independently and hope for the best.
Dan Silverman
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArtisticCake)
Hi Dan

First of all, I have experienced issues like this before so you are not alone.

Even if they aren't help you, I would encourage you to continue attending lessons as if you don't the college may judge you poorly. This would reflect badly on your reference and predicted grades for UCAS should you wish to go to university.

Obviously I am not fully aware of what the lessons are like but maybe you could do your own revision and learning in classes? If they are going too slow, you can read ahead and if they are too fast take your time to go over the topics so you understand them. There are many youtubers and online courses that can help you with your a levels - primrose kitten is amazing for maths and science subjects for example. Also, ensure you do work at home so you can fill in gaps the teachers are not helping with. This can come in many forms such as making revision resources like flashcards or making your own teaching tools like powerpoints and voiceovers.

Lastly, if you feel like this is a real issue with your college and your classmates feel the same, don't be afraid to talk to administration or a form tutor. They are there to help you get the grades you want and if you don't find the lessons useful chances are others feel the same.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, I really appreciate the help you’ve given.

I’ll see how the approach of learning independently in class goes, if not, I’ll reach out to my form tutor.

Best wishes,
Dan
Dan Silverman
Rep:
?
(Original post by ninja24)
Same here I'm just trying to revise independently and hope for the best.
It’s glad to know that I’m not the only one out there! How’s it going for you?
ArtisticCake
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, I really appreciate the help you’ve given.

I’ll see how the approach of learning independently in class goes, if not, I’ll reach out to my form tutor.

Best wishes,
Dan
No problem, I'm happy to be of help! Good luck with your studies I wish you all the best .
ninja24
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s glad to know that I’m not the only one out there! How’s it going for you?
It's alright I guess, but we have around 5 tests every single week so I'm extremely stressed. I'm worried that I won't get year 12 content revision done in time :/ how about you?
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well.

Thank you.
For the sake of not having the sixth form team chasing you around for this, I would continue attending the lessons as normal. My advice would be doing the content outside of the classroom for each lesson (Learning the topic beforehand if possible) so when u come to class u know what to expect and dont necessarily have to pay attention to the teacher.

I am in the exact situation as you for one of my subjects but I just firm it tbh, the whole class does. We have two teachers for this subject, one just waffles and never makes sense, and then sets activities. The other waffles but gives examples (Basically they both just read off a powerpoint lol). The first teacher is now ill and now we have like 4 different teachers, I guess we will kinda benefit from the change now as we all more or less now the other teachers and they will actually teach us
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.12%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (23)
23.23%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (44)
44.44%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
16.16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads