The Student Room Group

BTEC H/S Care Unit 7: Principles of Safe Practice in Health and Social Care Explained

Before you start this case study make sure you read through your two case studies which have one adult and one children’s health and social care setting provided for you by your teachers (or from your own work experience)

The pages that I'm going to provide you is from a book called "BTEC National Health and Social Care Student Book 1: For the 2016 specifications (BTEC Nationals Health and Social Care 2016)"

TASK 1 REPORT

PASS

A.P1 Explain the implications of a duty of care in a selected health or social care setting

For this question, define what duty of care is and give an example of where it has or has not been met in both of the case studies.

Clue: Page 298

A.P2 Discuss ways in which complaints and appeals procedures address failure in a duty of care in a selected health or social care setting

Use page 302 and 303 to help you with this question, for this talk about a specific complaints and appeals procedures and link it the case study setting

In simple terms

For this question you don't need to link it to the individual in your case study you only need to talk about the complaint procedure of the health/social care setting in your case study.

After talk about the benefits of complaints in the adult social care setting for example, it can help improve the quality of care

For example, if you case study is in a adult social care setting look up online about the Ombudsman who deals with complaints in those settings and the CQC talk about what the Ombudsman and CQC are then talk about the complaint procedure that they have

Link at the bottom
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/health/nhs-and-social-care-complaints/complaining-about-social-care-services/who-you-can-go-to-when-you-have-a-problem-with-an-adult-social-care-service/problems-with-nhs-and-adult-social-care-complaining-to-the-care-quality-commission/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.limbless-association.org/images/how_to_complain.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwipuIbD0sjuAhXDYMAKHeSZBN0QFjAJegQIHRAB&usg=AOvVaw1Qub_YtpzIfSVUMW4Mbd8m&cshid=1612181688859

Link for the benefits of complaints
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cqc.org.uk/sites/default/files/20141208_complaints_matter_report.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwipuIbD0sjuAhXDYMAKHeSZBN0QFjAKegQIJBAC&usg=AOvVaw3KMaceRkOaS0pUKpu0bgun&cshid=1612181688859

B.P3 Describe the types and signs of abuse and neglect that may be experienced by different individuals

Define what abuse and neglect are and list down the types and signs of abuse and neglect

Clue: Page 308 to 317 also this PDF

B.P4 Explain the factors that may contribute to and reduce the likelihood of abuse and neglect for service users in health and social care

Talk about factors that contribute to the likelihood of abuse and neglect and then talk about the factors that can reduce the likelihood of abuse and neglect

Clue: Contribute to abuse and neglect page 317 to 319. Reduce abuse and neglect page 323 to 326

B.P5 Explain how to respond to concerns about abuse and neglect in the selected health or social care settings

Talk about how to response to concerns about abuse and neglect shown in the case studies by using page 319 to 323 as guidance

MERIT

A.M1 Assess the importance of balancing individual rights with a duty of care in a selected health or social care setting

For this question talk about why it’s important to balance individual rights to duty of care and linking it to your case studies. for example, it’s important to balance individual rights as the equality act (2010) states that you should treat everyone equality no matter what their sex, race etc. (following the equality act is an example of duty of care) is In the first case study two female couples want to live together but a member of staff would let them this is poor duty of care as the member of staff haven’t followed the equality act

Use page 298 to 301 to help you

B.M2 Assess the importance of recognising and responding to evidence or concerns about different types of abuse and neglect in health and social care

Talk about why it’s important to recognise and respond to evidence and concerns using page 319 to 322 for guidance, then link it to both studies, for example, one of the ways of recognising and responding to evidence is observation, in the second study the doctor noticed bruises at the base of Kevin’s spine and round marks on Lucy’s neck that resemble burns and was unconvinced at the father’s response as they’re more recent, however, she didn’t record her opinions, this could had lead to the death of two children

DISTINCTION

A.D1 Evaluate the significance of a duty of care and complaints procedures in promoting safe practice in a selected health or social care setting

Explain WHY it’s important to have a duty of care and have a complaint procedure to promote safe practice in (your setting that your case study takes place) by using (real life) evidence/examples, for example it’s important to provide duty of care as it can protect service users from neglect and abuse for example in a hospital care incident in 2001.... (then expand you answer).

Another example you can use is

The reason why it’s important to have complaint procedures is to help them improve in their safe practice for example (provide a real life example)

For this part, your not required to link this case study to your individual in your case study but rather talk about the setting that this case study takes place i.e. the hospital

Here's a website to get you started https://www.scie.org.uk/socialcaretv/topic.asp?t=safeguardingadults

B.D2 Justify procedures for responding to concerns about abuse and neglect in the selected health or social care setting

Explain WHY it’s important to for the people in both case studies (who haven’t responded to abuse and neglect) to respond to concerns on abuse and neglect

TASK 2 RESEARCH FILE

PASS

C.P6 Compare the influence of different health and safety laws or policies on health and social care practice in a selected setting
Compare the two case studies to the health and safety laws on page 327 to 331 and explain whether the case studies have followed these health and safety laws

D.P7 Explain how different procedures maintain health and safety in a selected health or social care setting
Explain the procedures they used or not used in both case studies to maintain health and safety. Use page 336 to 344 for guidance

D.P8 Explain the health and safety responsibilities of employers, employees and others in a selected health or social care setting
Explain what the health and safety responsibilities are for employers, employees and others in both case studies. Use page 342 to 345 for guidance

MERIT

C.M3 Analyse how health and safety legislation or policies influence safe practice in a selected health or social care setting
Look through both case studies and explain how these health and safety legislation that you talked about in P6, P7 and P8 can make a different to safe practice in both case studies. Use page 331 to 335. For example, if the first case study followed (put legislation here) they can protect service users from harm thus promoting safe practice

D.M4 Analyse how individual responsibilities and health, safety and emergency procedures contribute to safe practice in a selected health or social care setting
Explain how the responsibilities and health, safety and emergency procedures that you talked about in P6, P7 and P8 for each individual(s) in the case studies can affect safe practice. For example, if the service users and employees knew the fire emergency procedure they would know what to do in a fire emergency, thus promoting safe practice

DISTINCTION

CD.D3 Justify the effectiveness of health and safety legislation, policies and procedures in maintaining health and safety in a selected health or social care setting
Explain WHY health and safety legislation, policies and procedures can help to preserve health and safety in both of your case studies, basically how individuals/employees in the case study if they follow the health and safety procedures can change the way they conducted practice in the case study i.e. in the first case study if they had a procedure on coloured bins and where to store bins in for certain things it can help to save lives

CD.D4 Evaluate the importance of safe practice principles in maintaining and promoting the health, safety and welfare of service users in a selected health or social care setting
You should treat this section as a conclusion. For this talk about why it’s important to promote safe practice in terms of promoting the health, safety and welfare of service users in the case studies. For example, it’s important for health care workers to promote safe practice as it can help promote the health, safety and welfare of service users for example in the first case study they haven’t promoted safe practice by….. if they followed the legislation such as…. They could preserve the health, safety and welfare of service users, for example…. Then do the same for the second study

Hope this helps x

Unit 4 Enquiries into Current Research in Health and Social Care
Unit 5: Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs
Unit 8: Promoting Public Health Work
Unit 11: Psychological Perspectives
Unit 12: Supporting Individuals with Additional Needs
Unit 14: Physiological Disorders and Their Care
Unit 18: Assessing Children’s Development Support Needs
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Starlight15
Before you start this case study make sure you read through your two case studies which have one adult and one children’s health and social care setting provided for you by your teachers (or from your own work experience)

TASK 1 REPORT

PASS

A.P1 Explain the implications of a duty of care in a selected health or social care setting

For this question, define what duty of care is and give an example of where it has or has not been met in both of the case studies.

A.P2 Discuss ways in which complaints and appeals procedures address failure in a duty of care in a selected health or social care setting

Use page 302 and 303 to help you with this question, for this talk about a specific complaints and appeals procedures and link it to each case study that failed to provide duty of case

B.P3 Describe the types and signs of abuse and neglect that may be experienced by different individuals

Define what abuse and neglect are and list down the types and signs of abuse and neglect

Clue: Page 308 to 317

B.P4 Explain the factors that may contribute to and reduce the likelihood of abuse and neglect for service users in health and social care

Talk about factors that contribute to the likelihood of abuse and neglect and then talk about the factors that can reduce the likelihood of abuse and neglect

Clue: Contribute to abuse and neglect page 317 to 319. Reduce abuse and neglect page 323 to 326

B.P5 Explain how to respond to concerns about abuse and neglect in the selected health or social care settings

Talk about how to response to concerns about abuse and neglect shown in the case studies by using page 319 to 323 as guidance

MERIT

A.M1 Assess the importance of balancing individual rights with a duty of care in a selected health or social care setting

For this question talk about why it’s important to balance individual rights to duty of care and linking it to your case studies. for example, it’s important to balance individual rights as the equality act (2010) states that you should treat everyone equality no matter what their sex, race etc. (following the equality act is an example of duty of care) is In the first case study two female couples want to live together but a member of staff would let them this is poor duty of care as the member of staff haven’t followed the equality act

B.M2 Assess the importance of recognising and responding to evidence or concerns about different types of abuse and neglect in health and social care

Talk about why it’s important to recognise and respond to evidence and concerns using page 319 to 322 for guidance, then link it to both studies, for example, one of the ways of recognising and responding to evidence is observation, in the second study the doctor noticed bruises at the base of Kevin’s spine and round marks on Lucy’s neck that resemble burns and was unconvinced at the father’s response as they’re more recent, however, she didn’t record her opinions, this could had lead to the death of two children

DISTINCTION

A.D1 Evaluate the significance of a duty of care and complaints procedures in promoting safe practice in a selected health or social care setting

Explain WHY it’s important to have a duty of care and have a complaint procedure to promote safe practice and using your case study as examples, for example it’s important to provide duty of care as it can protect service users from neglect and abuse by not providing duty of care cases such as the first and second study happens (then expand you answer), the reason why it’s important to have complaint procedures is to help them improve in their safe practice for example (refer to study one or two, or both)

Use page 303 for reasons why we have complaint procedures and 305 to 306

Page 398 to 301 for duty of care

B.D2 Justify procedures for responding to concerns about abuse and neglect in the selected health or social care setting

Explain WHY it’s important to for the people in both case studies (who haven’t responded to abuse and neglect) to respond to concerns on abuse and neglect

Part 2 will be comming soon, credit to @Keri00Summers for helping me :smile:

thank you so much - if you are doing any other units and need pages you can ask me - I'll give them to you
Original post by Keri00Summers
thank you so much - if you are doing any other units and need pages you can ask me - I'll give them to you

Thank you :smile:. Do you have unit 19? These are the only two left that i've done in my course (There's unit 4 but that one is an exam)
Thank you :smile:. Do you have unit 19? These are the only two left that i've done in my course (There's unit 4 but that one is an exam)

No, thank you for your help

I can send you unit 19 pages through email - as I have done assignment 1 and handed it in few days ago
As for unit 4 I am doing that in year 13 (next year) I can get the pages for you as well since I have both books
No, thank you for your help

I can send you unit 19 pages through email - as I have done assignment 1 and handed it in few days ago
As for unit 4 I am doing that in year 13 (next year) I can get the pages for you as well since I have both books

Thank you yes send it to me please :smile:
I'm currently doing this unit however many of my peers in my group are confused on this, this has been really helpful however I'm wondering if you or anyone else has the online copy of the book or can send me pictures of the unit. would be so helpful!

would you be able to email me unit 7 pages from the book ? would be so helpful x
Original post by magda.batko
would you be able to email me unit 7 pages from the book ? would be so helpful x

send me your email address and i'll sent it - you can sent it privately

hi is there any chance you can email me the link aswell
Original post by khadra2000
hi is there any chance you can email me the link aswell

Hey I’ve got the textbook I can take pictures for you if you wish?

is it possible of you can send me the link also
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Hey I’ve got the textbook I can take pictures for you if you wish?

hey can you send me the pictures of the pages please x
Original post by kiraaaaaa
hey can you send me the pictures of the pages please x

What pages do you need?
What pages do you need?

the ones for assignment 2 please
Original post by kiraaaaaa
the ones for assignment 2 please

I think you’re talking about the new course. I’ve got the textbook for the old course.
I think you’re talking about the new course. I’ve got the textbook for the old course.

is it principles of safe practice in health and social care
Hi could you please send me the textbooks for unit 7 please?
Original post by _.niimzzy._
Hi could you please send me the textbooks for unit 7 please?

@Keri00Summers have the textbook of unit 7
Hi

TASK 1 REPORT

PASS

Use page 302 and 303 to help you with this question, for this talk about a specific complaints and appeals procedures and link it to each case study that failed to provide duty of case

Clue: Page 308 to 317

MERIT

DISTINCTION

Explain WHY it’s important to have a duty of care and have a complaint procedure to promote safe practice and using your case study as examples, for example it’s important to provide duty of care as it can protect service users from neglect and abuse by not providing duty of care cases such as the first and second study happens (then expand you answer), the reason why it’s important to have complaint procedures is to help them improve in their safe practice for example (refer to study one or two, or both)

Use page 303 for reasons why we have complaint procedures and 305 to 306

Page 398 to 301 for duty of care

TASK 2 RESEARCH FILE

PASS

C.P6 Compare the influence of different health and safety laws or policies on health and social care practice in a selected setting
Compare the two case studies to the health and safety laws on page 327 to 331 and explain whether the case studies have followed these health and safety laws

D.P7 Explain how different procedures maintain health and safety in a selected health or social care setting
Explain the procedures they used or not used in both case studies to maintain health and safety. Use page 336 to 344 for guidance

D.P8 Explain the health and safety responsibilities of employers, employees and others in a selected health or social care setting
Explain what the health and safety responsibilities are for employers, employees and others in both case studies. Use page 342 to 345 for guidance

MERIT

C.M3 Analyse how health and safety legislation or policies influence safe practice in a selected health or social care setting
Look through both case studies and explain how these health and safety legislation that you talked about in P6, P7 and P8 can make a different to safe practice in both case studies. Use page 331 to 335. For example, if the first case study followed (put legislation here) they can protect service users from harm thus promoting safe practice

D.M4 Analyse how individual responsibilities and health, safety and emergency procedures contribute to safe practice in a selected health or social care setting
Explain how the responsibilities and health, safety and emergency procedures that you talked about in P6, P7 and P8 for each individual(s) in the case studies can affect safe practice. For example, if the service users and employees knew the fire emergency procedure they would know what to do in a fire emergency, thus promoting safe practice

DISTINCTION

CD.D3 Justify the effectiveness of health and safety legislation, policies and procedures in maintaining health and safety in a selected health or social care setting
Explain WHY health and safety legislation, policies and procedures can help to preserve health and safety in both of your case studies, basically how individuals/employees in the case study if they follow the health and safety procedures can change the way they conducted practice in the case study i.e. in the first case study if they had a procedure on coloured bins and where to store bins in for certain things it can help to save lives

CD.D4 Evaluate the importance of safe practice principles in maintaining and promoting the health, safety and welfare of service users in a selected health or social care setting
You should treat this section as a conclusion. For this talk about why it’s important to promote safe practice in terms of promoting the health, safety and welfare of service users in the case studies. For example, it’s important for health care workers to promote safe practice as it can help promote the health, safety and welfare of service users for example in the first case study they haven’t promoted safe practice by….. if they followed the legislation such as…. They could preserve the health, safety and welfare of service users, for example…. Then do the same for the second study

Unit 5: Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs Work Explained
Unit 8: Promoting Public Health Work Explained
Unit 12: Supporting Individuals with Additional Needs Work Explained

credit to @Keri00Summers for helping me :smile:

Hi thank you for the help! Would it be possible if you could send me the pages for unit 17 please?
Original post by _.niimzzy._
Hi

Oh yeah it's true I'll send them to you make sure you PM me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending