The Student Room Group

PPL at Oxford

Has anyone applied for PPL here? It's not a very big degree and I'm yet to find anyone. I've applied for philosophy and linguistics at Jesus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by t.iris
Has anyone applied for PPL here? It's not a very big degree and I'm yet to find anyone. I've applied for philosophy and linguistics at Jesus

Hi! I am also applying for philosophy and linguistics. It's great to hear from someone else, particularly with the same combination. I've applied to Magdalen...
Reply 2
Original post by martha303
Hi! I am also applying for philosophy and linguistics. It's great to hear from someone else, particularly with the same combination. I've applied to Magdalen...

Yes! That's why I made this thread, but I wasn't expecting to find anyone doing PPL let alone the least popular combo. I nearly applied to Magdalen, it's so beautiful! But I wanted a smaller college so I went with Jesus but who knows what will happen?
Where are you applying from? Have you applied previously or not? What alevels/ other qualifications are you doing?
i know someone who has applied to psychology and philosophy at jesus :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by azby1098
i know someone who has applied to psychology and philosophy at jesus :smile:

Cool! Are they on the student room?
Hi! I've also applied for PPL, though for psychology and philosophy @ St John's. I'm so glad there are other PPL applicants on here. I couldn't find anyone until I found this thread haha
Reply 6
Original post by s.gotera
Hi! I've also applied for PPL, though for psychology and philosophy @ St John's. I'm so glad there are other PPL applicants on here. I couldn't find anyone until I found this thread haha

Great! What are your alevels/GCSEs/other? What about the TSA? Just trying to get a conversation started here :smile:
Original post by t.iris
Yes! That's why I made this thread, but I wasn't expecting to find anyone doing PPL let alone the least popular combo. I nearly applied to Magdalen, it's so beautiful! But I wanted a smaller college so I went with Jesus but who knows what will happen?
Where are you applying from? Have you applied previously or not? What alevels/ other qualifications are you doing?

i’m doing the IB with English, French, Spanish, maths, history and environmental sciences and it’s my first time applying. what about you?
Original post by t.iris
Great! What are your alevels/GCSEs/other? What about the TSA? Just trying to get a conversation started here :smile:

Well, my GCSEs were: 9999999988. I'm currently taking Maths, Physics and RS at A*A*A* predicted and I have an A in Further Maths AS. And you?

In terms of the TSA, ahhh. Usually when I come out of an exam, I get a feeling of knowing whether I did well or not, but after the TSA I didn't really know how to feel haha. I think the problem solving questions were alright, but I'm not too sure on the critical thinking ones :/ I also don't think I wrote enough for section 2. I'm just hoping I did enough to get an interview. How did you find it?

Also, did you apply for the Oxford Remote Interviews workshop?
Reply 9
Well, my GCSEs were: 9999999988. I'm currently taking Maths, Physics and RS at A*A*A* predicted and I have an A in Further Maths AS. And you?

In terms of the TSA, ahhh. Usually when I come out of an exam, I get a feeling of knowing whether I did well or not, but after the TSA I didn't really know how to feel haha. I think the problem solving questions were alright, but I'm not too sure on the critical thinking ones :/ I also don't think I wrote enough for section 2. I'm just hoping I did enough to get an interview. How did you find it?

I'm in school in France but I have an a-a* average I think.i also have two GCSEs (french a*, English language a) and I do English language and literature and maths as a levely things in school. I think the TSA went alright but I really sped through it and I submitted the essay just before the battery died! I didn't even know there were interview workshops until I saw, too late on TSR. Are you doing them?
Reply 10
i’m doing the IB with English, French, Spanish, maths, history and environmental sciences and it’s my first time applying. what about you?

First time applicant too, I'm doing the French baccalaureate and I do maths, English and also German, history, french and philosophy
Original post by t.iris
I'm in school in France but I have an a-a* average I think.i also have two GCSEs (french a*, English language a) and I do English language and literature and maths as a levely things in school. I think the TSA went alright but I really sped through it and I submitted the essay just before the battery died! I didn't even know there were interview workshops until I saw, too late on TSR. Are you doing them?

Wow you're a French applicant, that's so cool! For the TSA, I was in a similar position. I sped through the questions and didn't really check my answers. I didn't even manage to finish my essay:sigh: Oh well, what's done is done.

In terms of the workshop, yes, I was lucky enough to get offered a place. But it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I may not even get an actual interview haha. Anyways, the best of luck to you with your application! I'm glad I know someone applying for the same course as I am:smile:
Good luck everyone!

If any of you get in, I will be after you for an Oxford Demystified chapter, lol

I applied for the interview workshop and got a place for the 27th of November. Are you going?
I applied for the interview workshop and got a place for the 27th of November. Are you going?

I also got a place for the 27th of November! I'm hoping to attend, however I haven't yet received a confirmation email/joining instructions. Have you? Also, which college were you assigned to?
Reply 15
Wow you're a French applicant, that's so cool! For the TSA, I was in a similar position. I sped through the questions and didn't really check my answers. I didn't even manage to finish my essay:sigh: Oh well, what's done is done.

In terms of the workshop, yes, I was lucky enough to get offered a place. But it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I may not even get an actual interview haha. Anyways, the best of luck to you with your application! I'm glad I know someone applying for the same course as I am:smile:

So do you get offered a place at the workshops? As I said, didn't even know they existed. Would you mind sharing some info afterwards, if there's anything that strikes you as necessary to know etc? Thanks xx
Original post by Oxford Mum
Good luck everyone!

If any of you get in, I will be after you for an Oxford Demystified chapter, lol

Hey I got repped for this! I'll take that as a "yes" , then...
Reply 17
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hey I got repped for this! I'll take that as a "yes" , then...

That was me, and yes definitely!! (if I get in, which is the biggest if of my life) I was kind of on despair not to find any Oxford demystified chapters for either philosophy or linguistics or combinations including those subjects so I would defo cobtribute to filling that gap! xx
Original post by t.iris
That was me, and yes definitely!! (if I get in, which is the biggest if of my life) I was kind of on despair not to find any Oxford demystified chapters for either philosophy or linguistics or combinations including those subjects so I would defo cobtribute to filling that gap! xx

Those who have written chapters have never looked back. I received a chapter on law and Spanish law only today. There have been 200 views so far. You will be seen on TSR as a hero to many.

The chapters will be sent out to applicants every single year, so you will be helping others for years to come. What a legacy.
Original post by t.iris
So do you get offered a place at the workshops? As I said, didn't even know they existed. Would you mind sharing some info afterwards, if there's anything that strikes you as necessary to know etc? Thanks xx

Yes. The workshops are meant to help students understand more about the interview process at Oxford and they're all virtual. Apparently, there will be a general session about Oxford interviews and then a course-specific session (which, for me, is tailored to psychology). Though I'd be glad to share as much as possible! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending