The Student Room Group

Late means testing 2019/2020

I am a student from a low-income family, who received the Access to Bristol Bursary from Years 1-2 of my course. Unfortunately, in the year 2019/2020 I experienced some severe mental health difficulties, which meant I found it difficult to keep on top of many of my commitments, including finances.

Now I am more on top of things, but I was checking through and found I wasn't paid an Access to Bristol Bursary for the year 2019/2020, even though I was eligible. I was also given a lower Maintenance Loan, rather than the mean tested higher loan I should have had. This was due to a family bereavement, business difficulties and ill health making it difficult for my father to submit the correct evidence on time last year.

This is a quite devastating to me, as I decided to intercalate in a Masters this year as I am passionate in research and I am unable to pay my full tuition loan and otherwise financially support myself this year. This is because as a Masters student this year, I received no maintenance loan, only a tuition fee loan that only covers my Masters fee, and the first installment of the loan doesn't cover the first installment of the payment. I have extensively tried to apply for other sources of funding, but am unsuccessful.

I contacted the university Funding Office about my Access to Bristol Bursary, as this wasn’t paid to me in 2019/2020. I was then informed it was because I was not mean tested by Student Finance. If I could be means tested for 2019/20, they would retrospectively pay me the bursary.
When I checked with SFE why I wasn't means tested, it was because my father didn't submit evidence on time. But when I asked if I could be retrospectively means tested, they said no.
I then contacted the University of Bristol Funding Office again to ask if they could retrospectively pay the bursary without the means test, and they said they could not. But they advised that if my father could
provide evidence of the reasons why he could not provide my income details on time, that Student Finance may use their discretion to allow a late assessment of income for 2019/20.

My father has written a statement to detail why this wasn't possible for him. I was wondering where I could submit this, and if SFE would be able to means test me for 2019/20. I really am in urgent need of this bursary, and am not asking SFE for additional income, just an assessment that would make it possible.
Original post by cooldoja10
I am a student from a low-income family, who received the Access to Bristol Bursary from Years 1-2 of my course. Unfortunately, in the year 2019/2020 I experienced some severe mental health difficulties, which meant I found it difficult to keep on top of many of my commitments, including finances.

Now I am more on top of things, but I was checking through and found I wasn't paid an Access to Bristol Bursary for the year 2019/2020, even though I was eligible. I was also given a lower Maintenance Loan, rather than the mean tested higher loan I should have had. This was due to a family bereavement, business difficulties and ill health making it difficult for my father to submit the correct evidence on time last year.

This is a quite devastating to me, as I decided to intercalate in a Masters this year as I am passionate in research and I am unable to pay my full tuition loan and otherwise financially support myself this year. This is because as a Masters student this year, I received no maintenance loan, only a tuition fee loan that only covers my Masters fee, and the first installment of the loan doesn't cover the first installment of the payment. I have extensively tried to apply for other sources of funding, but am unsuccessful.

I contacted the university Funding Office about my Access to Bristol Bursary, as this wasn’t paid to me in 2019/2020. I was then informed it was because I was not mean tested by Student Finance. If I could be means tested for 2019/20, they would retrospectively pay me the bursary.
When I checked with SFE why I wasn't means tested, it was because my father didn't submit evidence on time. But when I asked if I could be retrospectively means tested, they said no.
I then contacted the University of Bristol Funding Office again to ask if they could retrospectively pay the bursary without the means test, and they said they could not. But they advised that if my father could
provide evidence of the reasons why he could not provide my income details on time, that Student Finance may use their discretion to allow a late assessment of income for 2019/20.

My father has written a statement to detail why this wasn't possible for him. I was wondering where I could submit this, and if SFE would be able to means test me for 2019/20. I really am in urgent need of this bursary, and am not asking SFE for additional income, just an assessment that would make it possible.

Hi, please avoid creating duplicate threads.
I have responded here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6781744

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending