Can you cover the A2 math in three months?

Watch
Lightweaver
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
With probably one extra month of practice. I know it sounds weird but is it possible? The specific papers I'm talking about are P3, P4 and S1
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Depends on how much time you spend of it. If you have 2-3 other A levels, probably not, but if you pour all your waking hours into it and not grow sick of it too early, you have a decent shot. Personally I resat my GCSEs last October (5 subjects) and then did FP1, S1, M1, D1, P3 and Chem 1 all in January. It was pure hell and I don't remember when I moved from the GCSEs to the A levels, but let's say I had from October to January and a month before that, that would be similar to your situation. I'd say P3 and P4 may be a touch harder and might take more time but it's certainly doable
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’d say 8 weeks for pure then maybe 6 for stats, so just over.
*****deadness
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Interesting ratio since 2 A2 pure units against 1 AS stat seems less even as 8:6
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by *****deadness)
Interesting ratio since 2 A2 pure units against 1 AS stat seems less even as 8:6
I’d still say 14 weeks. To cover content and do exam papers we’re talking about right?
*****deadness
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’d still say 14 weeks. To cover content and do exam papers we’re talking about right?
Yeah sounds about right, depending on where OP stands now and the target
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Exactly, it sounds short asf but it really isn’t
Just study smart
Lightweaver
Rep:
?
Hey thanks for answering. How many hours per day would that be according to you?
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lightweaver)
Hey thanks for answering. How many hours per day would that be according to you?
You have to study continuously, maybe around 4 hours a day. But, couple days off. Maybe like Sat, Sunday off, then gives you time to focus on your other subject
Lightweaver
Rep:
?
Well I actually do have other a levels. 3 to be exact. So pure hell I suppose?

So to give some background (sorry if this is too long), I was a master procrastinator during my IGCSEs but I managed to get A*s by studying during the last couple of weeks, so I didn't exactly suffer and those habits never change. But last year my grades finally went downhill because A levels actually require a little hard work. I wasn't ready to have my predicted grades decide my AS results (particularly because we'd only had mocks for the first unit).

Anyway, I first postponed my math papers to October because it didn't seem like we were going to finish the syllabus. Figured I'll study on my own in the summer. Then the predicted grades thing happened due to COVID and I postponed all the other 3 subjects too (because of the low first mock grades), so summer went by procrastinating and occasionally studying for the 3 other subjects, math got left out.

I just gave my physics, biology and chemistry exams in October and signed up for AS math in Jan now. I think I'll be done studying for it by the end of Nov, and then I have Dec to practice past papers. I'll prolly get around to starting A2 math somewhere in December/Jan and I want to finish it by March/April so I can focus on past papers in April. That's the plan and I was wondering if it's plausible. Considering most of my AS preparation depended on whatever I studied in that last month before the exams, I think I'll somehow handle it IF it's actually physically possible to study the syllabus. But I'm probably being overconfident.
Lightweaver
Rep:
?
Well I actually do have other a levels. 3 to be exact. So pure hell I suppose?

So to give some background (sorry if this is too long), I was a master procrastinator during my IGCSEs but I managed to get A*s by studying during the last couple of weeks, so I didn't exactly suffer and those habits never change. But last year my grades finally went downhill because A levels actually require a little hard work. I wasn't ready to have my predicted grades decide my AS results (particularly because we'd only had mocks for the first unit).

Anyway, I first postponed my math papers to October because it didn't seem like we were going to finish the syllabus. Figured I'll study on my own in the summer. Then the predicted grades thing happened due to COVID and I postponed all the other 3 subjects too (because of the low first mock grades), so summer went by procrastinating and occasionally studying for the 3 other subjects, math got left out.

I just gave my physics, biology and chemistry exams in October and signed up for AS math in Jan now. I think I'll be done studying for it by the end of Nov, and then I have Dec to practice past papers. I'll prolly get around to starting A2 math somewhere in December/Jan and I want to finish it by March/April so I can focus on past papers in April. That's the plan and I was wondering if it's plausible. Considering most of my AS preparation depended on whatever I studied in that last month before the exams, I think I'll somehow handle it IF it's actually physically possible to study the syllabus. But I'm probably being overconfident.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Procrastinating?

Nah no chance for 14 weeks then, you have to not procrastinate or slack
Lightweaver
Rep:
?
Procrastinating?

Nah no chance for 14 weeks then, you have to not procrastinate or slack
Oh yeah I'd like to think I've learned my lesson on that from last year.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Good
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lightweaver)
With probably one extra month of practice. I know it sounds weird but is it possible? The specific papers I'm talking about are P3, P4 and S1
In terms of 'learning the content' I would say for pure you could do it in a short space of time. (Sorry I do UK A-Levels, not IAL so idk how much content is in each unit). Yes also spend that extra month doing constant practice.
Lightweaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by CurryCurry2468)
In terms of 'learning the content' I would say for pure you could do it in a short space of time. (Sorry I do UK A-Levels, not IAL so idk how much content is in each unit). Yes also spend that extra month doing constant practice.
Thanks, will do!
*****deadness
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Also I realized that P3, P4 and S1 were what the regular Maths class did for the entire year. The further maths people also did FP1 and S2 but anyway that's how long my school took to teach them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (352)
43.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed